Troubleshooting midiphy SEQ v4+

latigid on

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi im new here. I was just finishing up my seq v4+. Tested all the boards. Everything works. Went to put it together and the green power light wouldnt come on and a message for a power surge on the usb came up. I have isolated the problem to have something to do with the I2C midi 4 board. Went its connected to the core it will not power on. So far ive tried using different cables that are known to be good and ive tested both connectors on the I2C and Core (j4a) for proper contact. Im stumped.

So everything else works when the I2C board is disconnected? Is the cable still plugged in here?

Do you measure a short circuit on the I2C board? Measure across a 100n capacitor, or what voltage do you read? Are your PICs in the right way around? How is the soldering around J1/J4A? 

image.thumb.png.aced28cd4bb60da3a942824a2365f8f3.png

Please upload a photo of the board to check.

To check if it's the PICs, you can try to remove them and see if you get the same behaviour. 

Best,
Andy

• 1 month later...

Hello! I'm pretty close to wrapping up my build. Got everything up and running, but I'm having an issue with encoder 7 on the le-mec RH board. When I rotate the encoder, it behaves like I hit the Song button (SW23). One other thing I noticed was that if I kept rotating the encoder while on the song page, then SW22 on the le-mec LH board sometimes flickers on certain values and Phrase lights up on the JA board. 

Are there any obvious places I should look for a short or cold joint? Hope it's something accessible at this point or a cable issue. 

Edit: Ok, turns out I just needed to reflow the encoder itself. All good!

Edited by PlateOfShrimp

Hello,

You tested all of the inputs before soldering the Matias switches right? ;-)

The encoders are not on a switch matrix like the buttons are, so my guess is that there is a short between the two boards. Try to see if any resistors or diodes poke through. You could consider desoldering the encoder and bridging the pins to see if it is related to that.

But you mentioned "press on the encoder"; do you mean the encoder push switch? That is connected in the matrix in the same column as SW23.

Diodes in that column (including on ENSW7) are connected to pin 9 of J2 and pin 5 of IC3.
The encoder itself is connected through J3 pins 6/7 then through the header to pins 4/5 of IC5. A short to the adjacent pin (serial clock) might explain things.

Best,
Andy

Hey Andy, thanks for the reply. I ended up getting it working after reflowing the encoder. Wish I had tried that before unmounting the UI boards from the case though haha. It was the last thing I expected to be the problem since soldering those in was such a straightforward process. Anyway, everything's going well now, and I got to play with the sequencer all afternoon. Thanks again, and I'm glad it didn't become a bigger problem.