How did i manage to fry my STM32 disco board?

weasel

yeah so while i was plugging some peripheral breadboard connections in and out earlier today, the moment it apparently died i was just playing on the keyboard and the encoders...

the connected OLED screen went black first, then i noticed all 3 LEDs on the disco board blinking at around 2-3Hz. I tried reseting and a cold restart with no change, back to blinking. started disconnecting all IDC cable that were connected, same behaviour. next i unplugged the power line of one of the ws2812 chains which somehow still was connected to the ST board (gnd or data) and the blinking frequency change dot about 1Hz. 10-20 seconds, one or two resets later it was all black and never came back since...

any idea what went wrong here so i can avoid doing the same with the next one?

i think i was turning an encoder when it happened first, and there might have been a short somehwere on the kinda wonnky prototype setup i run?

thanks guys!

13 hours ago, Phatline said:

to cancel out a problem with your code:

force your discoboard into "bootloader mode": http://wiki.midibox.org/doku.php?id=home:mbhp:module:bootloader-switch

then try to upload a simple test program.

so PA0 to 5v? just tried that, still not a single LED lights up, pretty sure it's proper dead.

10 hours ago, latigid on said:

Connecting a +5V power source to any 3v3 lines will do it.

the ws2812 chains were on 5v, while by design i had at most some GNDs connected between the different voltage parts, it probably was a short or misconnect somewhere along those lines... because the weird thingg to me was how it died whilei was using it, not patching or seriously moving anything. damn little breadboard patch cables...

Edited by weasel

thanks phlatline well i gave up on the old one since not even the power led is coming up, new ones arrived today and i am having some weird behaviour after flashing the mios bootloader: right after flashing, still connected to the windows machine, the two midibox OPWM-led flashes came up. do that after every reset. but as soon as i disconnect the "programming" usb port, it just goes into a mode where the big red LED1 status led blinks slowly. the only way to get it going again is to connect the big USB portto a computer. just plugging them into a powersupply does not boot up properly either. it works flawless when i have both cables connect though. i do have PA9 and 5v connected.

edit - i can unplug the computer after successfull bootup and the disco board will keep runningg powered througgh the usb hub. i can now also unplug the "BIG" usb port cable and it keeps running on the midi usb. but i still will not boot up without a computer plugged into BIG usb port.

Edited by weasel

Thanks a lot @latigid on. I feel stupid now because i actually read a line somewhere about some ST boards needing a firmware update but i though to myself "nah that doesn't pertain to me with my brand new board".

LED1 still blinking slowly, not sure if my old one did that? anyway, all seems to be working

EDIT actually no, while the ST now boots up properly and runs the NG program with only the midi USB connected, i can not access it via MIOS studio. Red COM LED1 keeps blinking slowly. i re-did firmaware updates twice and re-flashed bootloader after each time...

EDIT 2 as per usual after pluggging everything in and out 5 times, it now eems to reliably work. LED1 still blinking red, but everything works. shrug should emoji.

thanks guys

Edited by weasel

Ok thanks.

Having some other issue, i fail to save any settinsg in the mios bootloader? My NG software works fine, but once i load the bootloader via the blue button, i can't seem to save any (LCD) settings from mios command line. the mios studio query shows the corret bootloader, but neither the help nor any of the set commands give me any result, i tried storing at the end but it won't save any changed settingg booting up NG again.

any hints? probably another stupid mistake on my end..

Edited by weasel