SID LED MATRIX Prob.

Phattline

Hi all, My MBSID Step C is running-yea, all buttons leds

and rotary encoders are running, but in the LED Matrixx is something false only the first Row and last row

are active, and the whole matrixis flickering

-looks bad   >:(

Ok, I measure´d all wires and replaced 74595 on the Dout board and the 74165 on the Din board

I´v take a second look on the Pdf´s for the dins and douts, but noticed no differnt´s beetween my circuit and the pdf´s

-

I´m wondering that no earth ( - ) is conectet by the Leds in the pdfs.

How does this work-  ???

Ok, I load the new alpha Sid Sysex into the pic

It´s the same problem.

I also noticed that the discribtion in the pdf for the stec16 of alps are wrong- this is written: v, d0,D1 in

but in reality its d0 v d1

And a second problem, when I type www.ucapps.de

for two seconds the screen is alright and here, and its white-  :(

And a third problemm, it is still here all the when I type the passwordd and the usernamee in the forum to log in it´s all ok but, when I click to a topic, i´m looged out, so I must type every day the same:

httpwww.midibox/...../YaBB.c...rofiername=........and so on

Can anybody help me :'(

Hi,

I´m wondering that no earth ( - ) is conectet by the Leds in the pdfs. How does this work-  

some DOUT pins are driving the cathodes, the remaining pins the anodes. In this way it's possible to realize a time multiplexed output matrix with only 15 pins instead of 56.

I've no idea why this doesn't work with your matrix.

PayC reported a similar problem, but so far as I remember he realized that the long wires to the BankStick were the reason. He shortened the wires and his CS is running ok now.

I also noticed that the discribtion in the pdf for the stec16 of alps are wrong- this is written: v, d0,D1 in  

but in reality its d0 v d1

Are you really using an Alps STEC16 ???

From where did you buy it ???

Ordering number ???

Maybe you are using another encoder with a common pinning ???

Or you did connect in in the wrong way and don't know it ???

Why are you assuming that the pinning is not correct ???

And a second problem, when I type www.ucapps.de for two seconds the screen is alright and here, and its white

strange, could you tell more about which operating system and which webbrowser are you using ???

Does anybody else have the same problem like Phattline ???

And a third problemm, it is still here all the when I type the passwordd and the usernamee in the forum to log in it´s all ok but, when I click to a topic, i´m looged out, so I must type every day the same

Please read http://www.ucapps.de/qa.html#102

Best Regards, Thorsten.

I had the same proplem with the LED matrix.

First of all the LED's were to dark. So I changed the 220 resistors against 180 and its was getting better (surely depends on what kind of LEDs you are using).

But the flickering of all leds, was still there.

I shortend the cables to the matrix and also payed attention that the PIC is not very near of the DOUT and the DIN. I also put a grounded metal plate between the Core and the DOUT.

I also used shielded midi connections (this because of another problem).

All these things solved finally the problem.

I think we have to pay more attention on noise and grounding issues within the more complex projects.

Perhaps it would be useful to make a FAQ about these issues. Also containing basics about noise and ground loops, etc.

greets

Doc

TK-thanx for answer

I use Win98-2 and MS I-Explorer latest version

Ok Forum problem solved I activatet cookies-its running no

Oh sorry- :-X I dont use the Stec 16 shit- I use-

I use the  STEC11B01 bestell NR 74 34 12/13 about 5 Euros

Encoder with integratet switch 30 Impulses per Turn

I buyed it by Distrelec in Austria and the pinning is D0,v,D1

TK-another Question in the Alpha Version Sid, its much better then in the older by the cuttoff of the filter

The steps are too high in the low (1-7) Only

eg. I hear a Deep bass by step 6 and by step 7 its in the bandbass-

Doc-I will cut the wires - hoping it will functionist

With the MPlab I will start later, couse evertime when I begin to download by 50% its stopped-dameged-error

Hey all what Caps did you use for Sid by the Audio Out

By the 10uf-Elko ? 470pF Kerko? and so on

Caps:

The 10uF Cap (C5) at the Audio Out is uncritical. You can use a 10 or 16 V type.

For the 470p caps (C1 C2) I would not use the kerko type. Better are FKP caps (Reichelt No: FKP-2 680p).

The best solution are styroflex caps (Reichelt No: Styroflex 680p). They don't fit well on the PCB, but they make the best sound  ;D

(all values are for the SID 6581. For the 8580 you have to use other values).

The other caps I used:

C3, C7 = FKP (I don't like ceramic caps in a audio circuit!)

C4 = FKP

C5,6 = Elko 16V

C8 = keramic (just stabilizing, not audio)

greets

DOC

Hi there!

I got the same problem with the matrix,everything else works just fine (encoders, buttons and led´s)  ;D

But my matrix just flickering and just the 3 first row´s button works (E1,E2 and L1), but when I push the forth button(L2) the led´s light up in different places and not just one, more like 2-4........

please report if you solve the problem!

I must say...I LOVE MY SID CS........

Take care!

Christoffer

Hi,

could you guys please inform me about the length of the cables between the two DOUTX4 modules and between the core and the first DOUTX4 module?

In my MIDIbox SID:

CORE->first DOUX4: ca. 25 cm

first DOUTX4->second DOUTX4: ca. 10 cm

Best Regards, Thorsten.

P.S.: also the cable length to the DINX4 modules and the BankStick would be interesting.

Hi.

CORE to 1st DOUX4 ca:15cm second DOUX4 ca10cm

CORE to 1st DINX4 ca:8cm

CORE TO BANKSTICK ca:10cm

P.P.S.: A possible reason could be that you are using LEDs which are consuming so much power, that a seperate supply connection (Vs/Vd) from the appr. DOUTX4 module to J2 of the Core module is required.

Hmmm, maybe I should buy low voltage led´s

Christoffer

Christoffer, could you please connect the Vs/Vd input of your second DOUTX4 module directly with J2 of the core module --- any difference?

Then: disconnect the BankStick --- any difference?

Then: disconnect the DINX4 chain --- any difference?

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Hi there!

Found the problem with the 4-8 button..bad soldering again :-[ it was the RC track in the second DINX4 ....Hmmm

But I still got some flickering led on the first vertical row but I guess that problem is bad soldering again.. It use to be that problem.....

(Now I´m going to make the front panel)  ;D

Thanks for the help.

Christoffer

Docs Idia  to take 180Ohm Resistors was good now there are more Leds

But this dont solved the problem

with the the direct way Vs-Vd  all Leds begin to flickering-to the midinotes -looks cool but

the problem is not solved

The 1uF Kerko Version was good-no flickering by all leds-but by the matrix it flicks and flics.shit

I short the cable to the Bankstick (24LC256 Microchip)so it is 3cm short

I minimized my Front Panel design and make all cables short- ok flickering is here-shit

I disconect bankstick - Midiwire (Neutrick -geschirmt-isolatet) LCD SidModul Dinx4´s -hoho its still flicks (blinks and so on)

Ok I replaced th M74HC595B1 (from ST) with a 74HC595N from Philips now it dont flicks (all other Dinx4 stuffed with th ST ones they works

But the problem is not solved because only the First row horiz. lights every time

The first 2 rows verti. are  uncompletly working the others do nothing, but all switches are working -I hear the LFO sound

I put all electric Machines away from my sid (electro smock) nooothing helps!

I noticed that the 2 74HC595´s are worm - not hot-a little bit over Human Body Temperature (heat, but I think this is normaly

This is my sid:

One Sid one Core 3 Dinx 4 (the third is only with one Chip stuffed) 2 DoutX4 (The second with 180Ohm Resistors)

A 2x20 LCD one Bankstick very cheap 3mm LEDS witch are in function (Red-lowpower)a huge Coolbody (Kühlkörper) for the LM´s

A magnetic isolatet Midicable a 3 Ampere 12V Power Supply and a very compact Design that means- all Dinx4 cabels to the switches are not longer then 10 cm

and the Dout wires to the Leds are not longer then 15 cm and the Cabels to the moduls are about 8 cm long Bankstick 3cm

Ok what tha hell is wrong- I havent any Idea Help me!

I dont have checket it with the troubleshouting LEDMATRIX thing yet, but in the evening I will check it.

Thanx Phattline