Poll: who wants encoders?

Rowan

Hi

I looking at doing a bulk order of encoders.

I have to order these by the thousand so I need to ensure that I can get rid of the encoders which I'm not going to use.

What I'de like to know is:

1/ How many people want to buy encoders?

2/ How many encoders do you want?

3/ 16mm or 11mm encoders (16mm encoders are about half the price)?

4/ D shaft or toothed?

5/ intergreated pushbutton or not?

6/ approx shaft length?

These encoders are from the same manufactur as the ones which TK is currently recommending. I should be able to get the exact same model for less.

This is still just an idea, but I have layed all the ground work and can order them when ever. As stated above I have to order by the thousand, so i'll need a lot of interest to warrant doing it.

If you are interested post what you would like and we will see if we can come to a common encoder spec that we are all happy with and the best price you'll find anywhere for small volumes.

Regards

Rowan

"

1/ How many people want to buy encoders?

2/ How many encoders do you want?  

3/ 16mm or 11mm encoders (16mm encoders are about half the price)?

4/ D shaft or toothed?

5/ intergreated pushbutton or not?

6/ approx shaft length? "

1.Dont know

2.depends on the price-about 100

3.Dont know,11 and 16 are the diameters of the whole part? the cheeper please

4.D shaft

5.Pushbutton (its easy to get cheep encoders W/o it, but hard to find with pushbutton)

6.short.

Hi

Good to see some interest.

@Phattline: The 16mm encoder is,  approx 16mm x 16mm square. I've been using 11mm encoders untill now, but i'm going to switch to 16mm because of the price difference. Because of the need for knobs and space between encoders 16mm should be fine. I wouldn't want encoders any closer than 16mm together

Another note: I can only get 11mm encoders with pushbutton, these are twice the price

Regards

Rowan

Guest psytron

2. 50 if they are cheep enuf

3. 16mm

4. doesnt matter whatever the most knobs are avail

5.doesnt matter so i guess with a button unless a major price difference

6.short approx no longer than 30mm (from top to start of thread for fixing nut

"Another note: I can only get 11mm encoders with pushbutton, these are twice the price"

Twice the price-maby 2 Euro? oh no!!!

by the 11mm encoders the shafts are smaller? oh no!!!- No D-shaft? AHHH!!

On the other side:

Pushbutton to minimize the disign are quite cool-building a Sid and you only need 4 seperate switches, and the menu switches.

But when all are saying we take the cheeper ones, I go with, 100 Peaces, when it will be with Buttons I take 50 Peaces

HI

@xt-rem:

I don't know the german word for d-shaft/toothed.

A d-shaft is in the shape of a "D" when you look straight down on to the shaft, and use a grub screw to hold the knob on to the encoder.

A toothed shaft has lots of little bumps around the diameter of the shaft. The knob pushes on to the encoder shaft.

We are at around 330 at the moment.

Keep the interest up and we will have some good cheap encoders soon.

Regards

Rowan

thx rowen.... i modified my post for toothed.

Did you tested the possibillity of removing the detent and use as undetented. Undetented encoders are for the mb64e better then detented i think.

TK is currently recommending undetented encoders for MIOS based MIDI controllers  ???

TK is currently recommending undetented encoders for MIOS based MIDI controllers

for common MIDI controllers: yes. However, it seems that the detent can be removed.

But there is another point which I would like to mention: We all can be happy that a guy like Wouter van Ooijen (http://www.voti.nl/) distributes electronical components for such low prices, and he wrote me that he will try to find manufactures for other useful components for the MBHP (like faders, etc...). Remind the effort he already spend for us - so, why trying to bypass him by organizing mass orders directly from the manufacture?

Rowan: you wrote that a single rotary encoder will possibly cost about 1 EUR. People from oversea who buy the stuff from you will have to pay additional taxes and duty (in germany more than 30%), so I see no advantage compared to Wouters offering.

It's maybe better just to ask him for a discount on high quantity orders, you could ask him also for alternative types --- thats fair play!

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Hi

You have a very good point Thorsten. I do agree with you.

When I first considered doing this I mainly had those who live on the Pacific Rim in mind. The shipping from Europe to the pacific is just as expensive as the shipping from the Pacific too Europe. So to me it makes more sence to buy from Europe if you live in Europe, and to buy from the Pacific if you live in the Pacific.

Encoders are VERY expensive in the shops in NZ (and OZ too I suspect), so I need another way to get them. Shipping costs from China are less than from Europe.

I stated that the encoders would be about 1euro each. They will NOT be anymore, most likely much less.

Regards

Rowan

Hi Guys,

I guess to be fair and reasonable to all concern we should give Wouter van Ooijen the first shot at selling us encoders or whatever midibox components at a price acceptable to us individually. As an example lets say Rowan manages to find 10 midiboxers in NZ or Pacific Rim area each wanting 10 encoders. He then asks Wouter van Ooijen to quote him for a bulk order of 100 encoders to NZ. If his China contacts are still much cheaper ( maybe 25- 50% cheaper overall), than he is free to order from China.

Is this acceptable to you TK?

Actually i would also like to know your stand on this as i would like to start pimping for my own Alps Motor faders bulk order  ;D.

Peace

Frank

Hi Rowan,

ok, I understand this problem with the shipping cost. My concerns are due to the fact that people from europe, who could buy the encoders from Wouter, wanted to participate the collection order - and I guess that you need so much people for the minimum quantity requirements - but such actions could endanger the starting cooperation with Wouter. It's the same sensible topic like PCB mass orders (see http://www.midibox.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=news;action=display;num=1052767519)

I don't want to forbid mass orders (I wouldn't be able to control this anyhow...), but I want to remind that they are sometimes destructive in special cases.

Frank's advice is very good - search for people in the pacific area who want to order stuff from Wouter. He has some other components which could also be interesting for you (like PICs, LCDs, etc...) so in total you will possibly save more money than ordering just only the rotary encoders from China.

Frank: thats ok so long Wouter doesn't offer ALPS motorfaders! ;-)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I'll be ordering the encoders later this week. I'll be needing ALOT of encoders for my next project.

When they reach NZ i'll offer them for a good price for Kiwi's and Ozzy's (If thats cool with TK). ;)

I don't mind if I don't sell many, I'll be MIDIboxing for years.

Regards

Rowan