Filter sound of SID6581. witch caps to use?

chromdildo

Assembled a MBSID-module, everything is ok.

But...

I'm not really satisfied with the filters.

I tried different caps...  

* the 470pF (Styroflex) - quite no filter audible...

* replaced it by 1nF (Kerko) - very muffled sound, few and unstable resonance...

* with the original caps of the C64 box: little better, but not a *FILTER*!

Any suggestions witch capacitors are best?

MOS 6581 - [0483]

btw:

...I replaced the 1k resistors with 1k1 5%(couldnt find just 1k's). got anything to do with my filter problem?

thanks.

./chrom

Assembled a MBSID-module, everything is ok.

But...

I'm not really satisfied with the filters.

I tried different caps...  

* the 470pF (Styroflex) - quite no filter audible...

* replaced it by 1nF (Kerko) - very muffled sound, few and unstable resonance...

* with the original caps of the C64 box: little better, but not a *FILTER*!

Any suggestions witch capacitors are best?

MOS 6581 - [0483]

btw:

...I replaced the 1k resistors with 1k1 5%(couldnt find just 1k's). got anything to do with my filter problem?

thanks.

./chrom

I first used the cermamic caps, too. They are really no hit indeed.

Then I used Styroflex ones. I think they´re great. The center frequency is very stable all over the 8 caps!

The 1,1k shouldn´t be a big prob. Although I´m asking myself, why you didnt´find 1ks (they´re so f**** standard pieces, you know ) :)

Anyhow: I think the Styroflex are the best ones to use (they´re relatively cheap for such a low tolerance). Perhaps you fried yours with soldering them - they´re *extremely* easy destroyed by heat.

Greetz!

I first used the cermamic caps, too. They are really no hit indeed.

Then I used Styroflex ones. I think they´re great. The center frequency is very stable all over the 8 caps!

The 1,1k shouldn´t be a big prob. Although I´m asking myself, why you didnt´find 1ks (they´re so f**** standard pieces, you know ) :)

Anyhow: I think the Styroflex are the best ones to use (they´re relatively cheap for such a low tolerance). Perhaps you fried yours with soldering them - they´re *extremely* easy destroyed by heat.

Greetz!

Yes, PayC also uses 470pF so far I remember.

Just a reminder: in main.asm, you have to set "CBM8580_FILTER_FIX" to 0, otherwise your 6581 will be driven like a 8580, the result would be a wrong filter characteristic

And another note: from the three 6581 I own I've only one which sounds good. If your focus is on the filters, I would strongly recomment the 8580!

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Yes, PayC also uses 470pF so far I remember.

Just a reminder: in main.asm, you have to set "CBM8580_FILTER_FIX" to 0, otherwise your 6581 will be driven like a 8580, the result would be a wrong filter characteristic

And another note: from the three 6581 I own I've only one which sounds good. If your focus is on the filters, I would strongly recomment the 8580!

Best Regards, Thorsten.

is there any list with differences between the different MOS/SID production cycles over the years?

Or a shematic with the inner part of PIN 1-4 (filter)?

I got another 6581 and two 8580. will try these...

btw:

I came across "Captain Hastings" website http://compiler.kaustic.net/fm/ who built a AOUT-kind-of-module (digital pot) with the Analog Devices AD5204....

What about driving an analog filter module .... moog style.... :D

.... dont shoot, just an idea.

./chrom

is there any list with differences between the different MOS/SID production cycles over the years?

Or a shematic with the inner part of PIN 1-4 (filter)?

I got another 6581 and two 8580. will try these...

btw:

I came across "Captain Hastings" website http://compiler.kaustic.net/fm/ who built a AOUT-kind-of-module (digital pot) with the Analog Devices AD5204....

What about driving an analog filter module .... moog style.... :D

.... dont shoot, just an idea.

./chrom

Hey...

That effects box on captain hastings sites looks quite commercial - is it?

Would be nice if he could talk about that digital pot MIOS intergration some more - Im sure alot of other mb users wud like to hear too!

Dan

Hey...

That effects box on captain hastings sites looks quite commercial - is it?

Would be nice if he could talk about that digital pot MIOS intergration some more - Im sure alot of other mb users wud like to hear too!

Dan