touchpad?

der.warst

Hey,

i've been to Votis site some minutes ago and noticed that he sells surplus Notebook touchpads for spectacular cheap. Does anyone of you have an idea if it would be somehow possible to include one of those into a Midibox. It sends a standart PS/2 signal, so i guess it wouldn't be too hard to do for someone who knows what he's doing...

would be cool to have some kind of MIDI-Kaosspad...

greets,

der Warst

Hi,

The pad probably sends PS/2 mouse format. Here is a link describing that format.

http://panda.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu/%7Eachapwes/PICmicro/mouse/mouse.html

This site has all the information including links to PIC assembly code to interface to a PS/2 mouse. You could build a core module and write a MIOS application to monitor the pad using  I/O pins and decode the PS/2 mouse format. Then the application could send out MIDI as desired.

This core could be linked to your existing MIDIbox core.

Not a trivial project but very doable I think.  :)

Hi,

Duggle have been working on special "add on core", with ps/2 ports. He's now probably busy doing something more important, but you can check progress from this thread:

http://www.midibox.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=concepts;action=display;num=1067480170

I guess that this will enable using touchpads as well as keyboards and mice..

Bye, Moebius

p.s. Well, there's another thread:

http://www.midibox.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=concepts;action=display;num=1084655389

By the way der Warst could you post a link to the Votis site? If I could get a pad to test with I might be interested in creating the MIOS interface. I would post it for others to use. It should be possible to write a MIOS driver to process the hardware interface and provide some new MIOS user routines to handle the data (just like a MIDI event). Then, if two I/O pins are available on the MIDIbox main core, a new core module would not be required.

Thanks  :)

Yes, It appears several people are working on this type of interface. So, how about a status update. I do not want to start a project if someone is already close to a solution. I really do not need this interface but thought it would be a good challenge to advance my knowledge of PIC assembly code.

Thanks  :)

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...