Pin allocation in SEQ

Lall

Dear all,

I have a pretty stupid question for which I think I know the answer but I'd like a double check...

Is it possible to completely re-allocate every single IO of the SEQ application? From what I've seen in the ...setup.asm file, I think so but I'm wondering if there's anything used in DIN/DOUT that is fixed and that can't be changed?

For the history and for a laugh, the thing is that Xanboroon and I are making together two sequencers and later two sids. We've decided to go for a home-made front-panel PCB to ease the soldering and connection. Unfortunately, there was no text on the printout, the mirror didn't work so the print was on the wrong side; that was much more than enough for me to etch the PCBs in wrong way  :-[

The pity is that the PCBs were really good, euh well except for the "small" mistake  ;) so we're now looking at ways to still use them by re-allocating everything in the "opposite" order...

Thanks in advance,

Best regards,

Lall

For the history and for a laugh, the thing is that Xanboroon and I are making together two sequencers and later two sids. We've decided to go for a home-made front-panel PCB to ease the soldering and connection. Unfortunately, there was no text on the printout, the mirror didn't work so the print was on the wrong side; that was much more than enough for me to etch the PCBs in wrong way  :-[

Welcome to the backwards PCB club, It's a rather secretive group with many members, but it's relatively unknown since most members fear teasing if they speak in public about the club.   ;)

We prefer to be called "Reverse Engineers" ;D

As members we fully acknowledge the way Murphy's law applies to us, ie: our best looking boards are the always the ones that come out reversed. ;)

I have personally done this on more prototype boards than I care to admit, putting blame on the years of lead contact (solder) and drinking from aluminum cans.......What were we talking about?spin.gif

Best!

Smash

Yes, each button can be reassigned. Only restriction: the general purpose group (2 shiftregisters/16 buttons to select the step/pattern/menu) has a fixed direction. In other words: if you connect it in an alternative direction, the step buttons are not aligned to the step LEDs (and with the step events of course...)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Hi,

I too am a member of this club, so here is some words from the wise.

The only way you will have any luck with your reversed boards is to solder the IC's to the track side of the board. This is because the Vss and Vdd pins will now be in the wrong place. Because of this you don't need to worry about reassigning the input/output pins, they will all be where they are ment to be.

Regards

Rowan

Thanks Thorsten !,

Ok, I understand now. And the reason for the fixed direction is that for these GP buttons/LEDs we only have to specify the SR used. It's clear now.

But this should not be a to big problem for our cabling problem. Once we are sure of our design we will surely publish it on the portal.

Xanboroon

For Rowan: We already think to this possible solution, But on this PCB there are no ICs, only Encoders, LEDs and D6 Buttons. And the problem is to solder the D6 buttons where access to the pins of the buttons from the top side will be a nightmare.

Hi Torsten,

Thanks for your answer, it is actually very good news for us.

Hi Smash and Rowan,

Thanks a lot for nice messages about the club. I'm also part of that club for some years and it's nice to feel a little bit less alone  ;)

Best regards,

Lall