MB64 : 32 pots permanent + 32 pots pluggable?

Guest zomoipotoi

Guest zomoipotoi

Hi guys!!

Can someone help me to do a MidiBox 64 with 32 permanent pots on his body-chassis and another external chassis with a AIN4x and 32 pots, pluggable (I'll be astonished if "hot-pluggable").

| midibox64 |          cable

|_________|     (9 wires)

|_1 AIN4x__|-----------------| external 1 AIN4x 32 pots |

|_32 pots__|

|_________|

My PROBLEM is:

when i upload the application, I must tell how many pots and which multiplexer i use.

So, if I connect the external AIN4x, i've got 64 pots and 8 multiplexer;

but if I leave out the external AIN4x, I've only 32 pots and 4 multiplexer.

If I stay home, no problem to upload the correct application; but I want to travel with my MB and don't want to carry with my old pc only to reprogram the MidiBox!!!

My idea is to upload the 64 pots/8 multiplexer application and to clamp to ground with a switch on the Midibox the 9 input pins of the external AIN4x. Is this correct? may it work?

If not, can you show me the way?

Another similar problem is this:

I want to substitute several pots of the external AIN4x with several of so called Midibox extension: the pots remains on the chassis but their connection with the AIN4x must be replaced from the extension's connection. Wich is the best way to do this? Can I leave the pot's ground and pot's +5 connection and switch only the signal connection?

Thanks in advance, bye. Dario.

Guest zomoipotoi

I've got another question:

how long should be the connection cable?

10 cm, 1 meter, 10 meter, 1 km?

And then the other question of the original post:

I want to substitute several pots of the external AIN4x with several of so called Midibox extension: the pots remains on the chassis but their connection with the AIN4x must be replaced from the extension's connection. Wich is the best way to do this? Can I leave the pot's ground and pot's +5 connection and switch only the signal connection?

bye!!!

Guest zomoipotoi

Thanks!!!

Can someone answer to my other question:

I want to substitute several pots of the external AIN4x with several of so called Midibox extension: the pots remains on the chassis but their connection with the AIN4x must be replaced by the extension's connection. Wich is the best way to do this? Can I leave the pot's ground and pot's +5 connection and switch only the signal connection?

Hi zomoipotoi,

Can I leave the pot's ground and pot's +5 connection and switch only the signal connection?  

Yes, you can. But you will get some jitter during the switch time. And you should use good switches with low transition resisance (Test one before you buy them all).

Raphael