SID Aftersound

RadicalAns

the sound is quite a bit softer but still noticable? I think that is one of the sids "bugs"; allthough i can live with this aftersound, i guess you

could build/buy a (noise)gate, this will turn down the volume completely (of the sid, or whatever you feed through the gate) if the volume goes under a predefined threshold.

cheers \

marcel

yep, thats normal allright., i can understand that you don't like the (after)sound but when you are making music together with other sounds/machines, the aftersound isn't (that) noticable. If you find it still irritating you will have to use a (noise)gate or something similar.

cheers,

marcel  

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but the aftersound is a bug of the older 6581 type SID chip. If it really bothers you, you could change to the newer 8580 type chip, that doesn't have the bug/effect (but the overall sound will be a bit different, too...).

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but the aftersound is a bug of the older 6581 type SID chip.

i think thats right, the later SID is a bit more "static" (cleaner) or so i've heard. depends on what you want; i like the little fluctuations in the sound of the good old 6581 (sounds "alive").

cheerz,

m4rc31

The bug is downsized in the 8580, but not gone. It´s still there, if you push the volume you still hear it. The SNR (signal to noise ratio) is just better.

Anyhow: At first I didn´t like it, too. But with the time I realized it brings in some interesting "analog" type of background sound (which you don´t really hear anyhow). At first I killed it with noisegates, too. But with the time I threw the noisegates out again and just muted the track within passages where everything had to be turned off. It´s bringing in some (you might kill me for that word) "natural" behaviour of the sound.

Like alyways: Try it with, try it without and *then* do decide.  ;)

Greetz!

Here is a schematic:

http://www.tonepad.com/project.asp?id=18

this one looks easy

here's the mouser partslist

http://www.lucyjordan.com/interest/noisegate.htm

Justin

I just found that myself the other day. They've got alot of cool projects on that page. I may build one of the phaser pedals on there and maybe make a distrotion box for my guitar. Thanks for the partslist it'll be a big help. ROCK \m/

Digital pots - digitally controlled resistor IC's..

And I wouldn't do that - Captain Hastings from the forum, reported a bad noise problems on a design with a digipot (Hmm.. and what was the gain factor of a BigMuff again.. ;))

The Ross phaser is a OTA based - Just droping the LFO section there and inserting control current thru resistor instead of a original LFO.. Instant SID mod matrix phasing fun ;)

Bye, Moebius