MIDIbox FM frontpanel draft

TK.

Here a first draft for the MBFM frontpanel:

mbfm_frontpanel_draft1.jpg

(full view: http://www.ucapps.de/midibox_fm/mbfm_frontpanel_draft1.gif)

The user interface will be similar to MIDIbox SID, but with slight differences.

8 menu items will be displayed on the 2x40 screen (instead of 10), this allows to use 4 characters+blank per item, which seems to be required due to the high number of parameters (with cryptic names)

The items are selected with 8 buttons (can also be replaced by additional encoders, but not really required). The selected item can be modified with the datawheel.

The datawheel is also used to scroll through the parameter list, and to select the ensemble/patches/drum set in the main screen

When the shortcut button is pressed, a special screen will pop up which gives a fast access to special functions (e.g. MIDI merger on/off, save patch, send sysex, etc...)

At the left side 4 buttons are located which allow to select the instrument - and within an instrument edit screen - the operator which should be modified. Multiple selections are possible, so that a parameter of one ore more instrument/operator can be changed at the same time to the same value (known from MBSID/MBSEQ).

At the right side 4 multipurpose encoders can be found which allow to modify the most important parameters. The LEDs are used to display the encoder function (only one LED lits), three small buttons allow to select the page. The LCD jumps to the appr. menu to display the values, but this behaviour can also be switched off if desired.

Three pages are assignable to custom parameters (ok, in fact each parameter assignment can be changed directly in the software)

In the next days I will implement the user interface and try out the handling in the hope that it is useful (otherwise I have to stuff new breadboards ;-))

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Best Regards, Thorsten.

No ideas yet, but if you need some inspiration om making the menu layout I suggest to take a look at the DX7mkII since it´s also got a 2x40 display (which makes it much easier to program than the first DX7 - got em both :) ). If you haven´t got acces to one and need inspration on how to display sertain funktions I can take some pictures of their layout on the DX7mkII.

Just in case it would be helpfull.... :)

Hey TK!

Looks pretty simple this time! That means I like it!  ;)

I do appreciate that also 8 Encs will be possible, I like it this way (like in the MBSeq). Just a minor question: The 4 multipurpose encs... There are 4 Encs, but just 3 Buttons + LEDs to select the activated control? Does that mean that each Encoder can have any of the stated Controls? Are the buttons not assigned to a specific Encoder?

If that is so: Perhaps make two modes? One as you stated and the other one (which I would like much more indeed):

4 Buttons + appropiate LEDs. Every button is assigned to one of the multi-purpose Encs. This way you have the same assignable controls on the same encoder in every patch.

Advantage: You *always* see, what your Encoder controls at the moment and double-assigning is not possible (two encoders assigned to the same control) and one encoder always controls the same parameters in all patches (this way you could make something like a "Envelope Encoder" for ADSR + LFO and one "Drum" Encoder or so...). Disadvantage: The same Encoder can not be assigned to *all* the controls (although this is not such a big disadvantage).

What do you think?

;D

Greetz!

Thanks for the input so far! :)

js: I just have found the manual at the Yamaha homepage. I don't think that I will realize the menu handling on this way (I made good experiences with the menu handling known from MBSID), but I will take the sound features as inspiration. :)

PayC: yes, 8 encoders below the LCD are a comfortable solution, but they have to be so near by each other, that fast parameter tweaks are nearly impossible without touching the neightboured encoders. Therefore it works only on something like a sequencer for me. A possible workaround can be seen on Seppomans "the Brat" MIDIbox SID. He arranged the encoders in a displaced order. But this doesn't work with my 2HE rack case (0.05" must be free at the borders), therefore I skipped this idea. However, the encoder option will be supported by the firmware.

To the 4 multipurpose encoders: no, the function will be realized similar to your first assumption: the buttons select a group of parameters for all 4 encoders. For example: "Volume" means the volume parameter for OP1/2/3/4, "BD Carrier" the 4 most important parameters for the bass drum carrier operator (possibly volume, frequency, decay for VCA and VCO)

If not disabled, the LCD will change to a suitable menu view so that the parameters can also be edited there. This has two advantages: the values are visible on screen, and you have a fast access to the remaining parameters.

Example: when "EG Sustain" is selected, you can change this parameter for OP1/2/3/4 with the multipurpose encoders. The LCD displays the EG menu which gives you fast access to Attack/Decay/Sustain/Release and the other settings of the operator. Let's call it "vertical" and "horizontal" editing. I think that this is the most flexible way

The high number of parameters which can affect a FM sound increases the demand for a different user interface compared to a subtractive/additive synth. E.g., when all operators are chained, each volume knob can change the resulting sound into another direction.

Example for how the three buttons should be handled: let's say "Volume" is selected. Press the first button three times so that Volume->Attack->Decay->Sustain is selected. Press the second button, the Sustain LED goes off, the LFO1 LED goes on. Press the second button two times so that LFO1->LFO2->EG5 is selected. Press the first button again, the Sustain LED goes on again.

I hope that this handling is fast enough - I will try it out.

Some last words to the three assignable groups: they will possibly be customizable in a special menu and saved with the ensemble. Means: each ensemble can get a seperate map, so that the user can collect the most important parameters of the patches/drums (which he wants to access fast during playing) in these groups

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Aaaaaah! Now I understand!  :D

OK, like the buttons & LEDs are ordered on the frontplate, something other came into my mind.

So: Why no matrix solution like in the SID? Meaning: Instead of pushing button 1 five times having a row of buttons to the left of the LEDs that directly selects the row (matrix solution)? Just a suggestion (your version or the suggested one don´t bring in THE big difference anyhow).

And why just three buttons? Why not four? That way you would have 24 controls at hand (with 6 coloumns). And the max you would have to push one buttons goes down to 5 (instead of six at mmt).

Both just two more *suggestions*! Just *IF* you haven´t thought of that already (which I really dont think...  ;) ).

One other thing: Because of the 8 Encs under the LCD: Yes, that´s a point. But if you arrange it like this: First Enc under LCD, second above LCD, third under LCD.... and so on, you got plenty of space to make wild things. Just as a workaround (I thought of).

Pretty COOL indeed up to now!!  ;D

this is not hardware related but maybe a nice feature for the frontpanel if there is room....

the dx7 keyboard has pictures of all the algorithims  printed along the top.. i think this makes programming a little easier..

on your design this could be along the top above the lcd.. maybe all the way across the top of the panel.. only if you want to of course ;-)

best wishes

adam

js: I just have found the manual at the Yamaha homepage. I don't think that I will realize the menu handling on this way..

;D - I wonder why people blamed DX7 being hard to program?

Maybe because it lacked some of THESE:

dx-prgmr.jpg

Image "borrowed" from David W. Skinners webpages:http://users.bentonrea.com/~sasquatch/

Bye, Moebius

Hi all,

One other thing: Because of the 8 Encs under the LCD: Yes, that´s a point. But if you arrange it like this: First Enc under LCD, second above LCD, third under LCD.... and so on, you got plenty of space to make wild things. Just as a workaround (I thought of).

I also thought of this solution for the "Brat" but discarded it cause this has the effect that with half the encoders you´d have your hand over the display when sitting straight before the box - and I also didn´t like the looks of it.

BTW Thorsten: my panel is also only 2U, there´s no space problem with two rows of encoders. Especially when there are only 8 encoders, there´s really plenty of space available. The display of course must be mounted as high as possible. Only problem would be that you´d have to move the shortcut button somewhere else.

Anyway - a very promising project :) I´ll have to buy a new rack soon to have space for all these MBHP thingies ;)

Seppoman