Seq code change problem.

mandingo

So I finally got the Sequencer done and the program uploaded.  It seems to work great but the encoders skip values.  I figure that the dentent value has to be changed to "2".  I do this to "setup_mbseq_V2".  It seems to compile ok and convert to sysex ok but when I upload it the screens just give out garble.  I'm not overly proficiant with dos but it seems like everything should have worked.

Does anyone have the "setup_mbseq_V2" sysex file with "detent2" command working?  I am using the encoders from http://mbhp.coinoptech.com/.  

Any help would be great.

Thank you.

Hi,

I've no explanation why this simple change should lead to such an effect, so we maybe have to search the root cause step-by-step.

Could you please upload the old .syx again in order to check if this is still working?

Thereafter undo your changes in the mios_tables.inc file, build a new .syx and try it out --- if the LCD gives out garble again, then the problem must be related to your environment

Best Regards, Thorsten.

The original program works fine except the encoders are very  sensitive and can skip notes.  

I guess I am unclear as to which file I update.  Do I update the "setup_mbseq_v2.asm" file or the "mios_tables.inc" file.  

Do you know if the bourns encoders use "DETENTED" or "DETENTED2"

Thanks again.

Chuck

Did you really upload the original .syx again, or do you assume this from your first try? I'm asking just to ensure that you made this important test.

Update: I just noticed that setup_mbseq_v2.asm contains the right table. So, changes have to be made there.

You could try the main.syx file --- this is my own setup, where DETENTED2 is already set for all encoders (only the datawheel is set to DETENTED since I'm using another encoder here)

I don't know which type is required for the bourns encoders. It could also be that you've to swap the pins

Best Regards, Thorsten.

I don't know which type is required for the bourns encoders. It could also be that you've to swap the pins

These are from Smash - I'm sure somebody has already got 'em to work!

Please post your findings here (enc_mode ect.), so this thing can be FAQ'd.. :D

On the other hand - Should there be a sticky topic in Parts archive section of the forum, for describing different pinouts/ encoder modes for different encoders?

Contributions?

Bye, Moebius

Hi all,

I had exactly the same problem with my sequencer encoders; example: when i turned them slowly forward they would skip values back(!) and forward.

I then changed the setup so all encoders were in "detented2" mode, but the problem was the same.

Since my sequencer had about 1billion wires running over/under/trough everything, i blamed the problem on this mess.

I didn't use the bourns encoders but the ones from voti.nl> should be detented2; have the same in my MBSID

Then made some pcb's for mounting dins+encoders+buttons+leds; to avoid the wire mess; but since this was the first time i designed a pcb for this means AND i didn't read/modify the code/setup before this attempt resulted in a second failure :-/ :-[

As we say in holland; "3x is scheepsrecht" (=the 3rd time it will work), so when I've recieved my new etchingchemicals/boards from Reichelt i'm bound to finish this nice piece of equipment... i hope..

My question; can the behaviour of the encoders be explained by the messy wireing or would this be a more systematic error (pcb-design fault, code fault)??

cheers, marcel

On the other hand - Should there be a sticky topic in Parts archive section of the forum, for describing different pinouts/ encoder modes for different encoders?

thats a good idea

My question; can the behaviour of the encoders be explained by the messy wireing or would this be a more systematic error (pcb-design fault, code fault)??

what I can assure is, that this behaviour cannot be related to a software bug. I've tested a lot of rotary encoders (also the ones from Voti) and all are working. Encoders are scanned by MIOS itself (and not by the application), therefore everybody who is using rotary encoders, uses the same software routines.

The reason why the LCD output of Mandingo sequencer was garbled can only be a assembling or upload problem, which can be sorted out by trying the whole procedure again based on the HOWTOs

I think that there are three main reasons for such an encoder behaviour: the encoder type is wrong (DETENTED2 is mostly the correct one, there is only a small number of encoders which require DETENTED), the pins are not connected correctly (try out all combinations), or the encoder has a mechanical defect (in this case check if other encoders have the same problem on the same inputs).

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Addendum: one encoder of my MIDIbox FM showed a similar behaviour - values were incremented/decremented randomly. The reason was a mechanical defect, I replaced it by a new one, thereafter everything was ok again

Well I finally got it to work.  I was sure that there is no problems with the design or software.  My problem was changing the code.  It was not building correctly.  What I found out is that when I use  MPLAB to edit the code, it has to be built in that viewer.  What I was doing at first was saving the code and then building it through MPASM.  This was making some warnings that was confusing the code and in turn garbling the lcd.  

The bourns encoders are "DETENTED2".  

The sequencer is great.  Perfect for live performances.  I will post some pictures when I can.  

Thanks again for all of the help.

ChuckO.