Another one with no SID sound...

oszilla

Hi,

I just started to build up a MIDIbox SID, worked fine till now. My problem is that no sound comes out of the SID (6581 R4AR) :'(

My measurements: all fine.

My display works fine.

LTC Modul shows MIDI activity, but every time a event comes from the sequencer, the LCD lowers the luminance some. I use a 15V wallwart with 800mA, is that not enough power? (1 Core, 1 Sid, 1 LCD, 1 LTC)

Also LCD shows typicall patch parameters like "attack", "release" and so on, but it's not possible to get sound?! ???

Oh, finally I also get random value changes viewed by the display below the line "ATT REL SUS..." That seems to me like coming from the SID?

Any opportunitys?

Sorry for this quest, but you are the only ones who could help...

Hi oszilla,

first please check if you took the changes for MIOS V1.7 into account: http://www.ucapps.de/mios_v1_7_hardware_mods.html

if these connections are already according to the new wiring, then you could check your SID module with the mbsid_interconnection_test_b.zip application (test instructions can be found in main.asm)

The random value changes could come from a bad junction at your CORE/DINX4 module, I don't think that it is the SID

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Thank you Thorsten!

I proofed the wiring between sid and core modul again, and as usual, something was wrong (i flipped 2 cables), now it should be ok. (checked it twice again)

During an constructive accident with a screwdriver, that got connection to the metall top at IC3 of the core, i recogniced the LCD was getting back it's luminance... so i connected something to cool IC3 and finally the LCD works without trouble (very hot IC3). Is that ok for IC3?

Maybe i have to connect a DINX4 first, to get the random data away, and sound out of my sid... because when i start the sequenzer, the random data stops as long as the sequenzer is active, but i'm not able to change the values on the display by MIDI... The LTC Modul recognices the MIDI data very well, but no sound if notes are played. (i use the Logic Environment) strange...

I wanted to check the connection with mbsid_interconnection_test, but it's impossible to get it running with SYSEX librian to upload the .syx file. Perhaps the upload will work with the sequenzer... I'll try out because i cannot use the MIDI-OX program.

Actully still no sound :'(

Do i have to change something in the syx file or is it still a problem with the connection... It transmits some kind of MIDI, and is able to receive MIDI... so i think no MIDI problem...

Thank you for help, but i'm shure, i neeeeeeed more...  :-/

Hi oszilla,

yes, the 7805 can get very hot if it is powered with a too high voltage (the difference between the input voltge and 5V is transfered into heat). It is ok so long the backlight of your LCD doesn't start to flicker (unstable 5V voltage). If this happens, then you can either use a seperate power supply for the core module (with a much lower output voltage) or just the C64 PSU (which is the best solution)

Changing value on the display via MIDI: the changes will only be visible in edit mode (press the edit button). You could test a program change event to the core, this should always change the patch

The only explanation I have for the random values is, that you either forgot to stuff R9 or R2 of the core module.

R2 is required to prevent "random patches" if no BankStick is connected to the core. It's also required for the BankStick itself (open-drain output)

R9 is required to prevent random toggles on the DIN input

Please check this first (especially reg. bad solderings) it could explain everything.

Two useful applications:

- with the MIDImon you can check if MIDI data is received correctly

- with MIDIO128 you can check each button/rotary encoder

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Hello again,

First, i checked R9 and R2, and they are working, but the random data is still visible on my LCD. Then i checked the soldering, and found no bug either. So i tried to connect a DINX4 and a DOUTX4 to the core module, and still i got random data. In the next step i connected 6 buttons and a encoder to the DINX4 and one LED to the DOUTX4. Now I'm able to switch trough the menu on the LCD but very often disturbed by random data and....   no SOUND :'(

Next step was to disconnect all modules from the core except the LCD. And even then, i had random data??? (also MIDI cables disconnected)

When it is not R9 and R2, what could it be?

Thanks for help...

Hi Twin-X (my hero!)

I may have asked this before but is there a create random patch function?

maybe "random patches" sounds like a feature which is easy to implement. But in fact a real useful random generator requires a lot of programming effort - and - a sophisticated user interface.

Because you don't really want to have everything random, this would lead in most (99%) cases to unusuable patches, and/or to settings where you don't hear anything.

A good random generator allows to set constraints for each parameter (min/max values), an even better generator allows dependencies ("if LFO5 depth > 30 then LFO6 depth < 30"). I fear that there is not enough memory free for such a function, it's possibly better (and much much easier) to program this as an external program (for the PC, with a nice GUI, etc...)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Hi oszilla,

First, i checked R9 and R2, and they are working, but the random data is still visible on my LCD. Then i checked the soldering, and found no bug either. So i tried to connect a DINX4 and a DOUTX4 to the core module, and still i got random data. In the next step i connected 6 buttons and a encoder to the DINX4 and one LED to the DOUTX4. Now I'm able to switch trough the menu on the LCD but very often disturbed by random data and....  no SOUND :'(

Next step was to disconnect all modules from the core except the LCD. And even then, i had random data??? (also MIDI cables disconnected)

When it is not R9 and R2, what could it be?

1000 different things... it's time to test your modules step by step.

First I would suggest the upload of another application which simplifies the debugging

Start with the MIDImon to check the MIDI input

Thereafter use MIDIO128 to check the DIN/DOUT

Results?

Best Regards, Thorsten.