SX64-PSU usable for MBSID?

oshidash

Hi,

I´m building a MBSID step c into a desk/console (well, trying to..). Finally it could look slightly similar to the one of Chriss´ http://www.midibox.org/forum/index.php?topic=3249.0

I think about using the PSU of a SX64, cause it could make quite a tidy backpanel  :D.

(see pics at: http://www.stadt-frankfurt.de/schulen/Ernst-Reuter-Schule-II/projekte/computermuseum/VC64/aufbausx643.jpg

http://mpc.fab.free.fr/commodore/photo8bits/sx64arriere.jpg)

The specs on the SX64 say: 

AC9V    0.2 A

DC5V    3.15A

DC12V  2.76A

As far as I know, the C64-PSU transforms to

AC9V 1A 

DC5V 1.5A (1.7A if you take the PSU of a C64 II )

My questions:

Are those different ampere-values of the SX64-PSU still suitable for the SID/core-modules?

If so,  is there any use for the additional 12V (for example powering the backlights of the Display :-\?)

thanks!

sayonara!

• 2 weeks later...

As an owner or SX-64, I thought that if youre going to strip down yours to create one massive soundsystem, maybe you could trade your working keyboard to my nonworking one? Have been kicking the poor box around for a few years now, its almost in mint condition apart that keyboard that looks good but seems to be beyond repair. If youre modding it anyway, maybe we could join our forces to maintain one SX-64 in proper working order.  ;)

And for any other who might help (a bit off topic, sorry), I am very interested about buying or receiving SX-64 keyboard and keyboard cable or some information about how to replace the original with something....

Well... Back to MIDIbox SID planning  :o ;D :o

Yours,

Nestle

[me=DrBunsen]suddenly has a vision of a broken-down SX-64 converted into a killer portable MIDIbox rig - SEQ/SID/FM combo, keyboard converted into control surface, MIDIbox TV driving the 5" monitor...  Internal amp and speakers...  woo stop me now...[/me]

hehe my goal is to build a MBSID, MBSEQ and MBFM into a suitcase. i've already got it planned and the MBSID is nearly finished. next is MBSEQ and then MBFM. that one will be the toughest (because of the PSU...)

* DrBunsen suddenly has a vision of a broken-down SX-64 converted into a killer portable MIDIbox rig - SEQ/SID/FM combo, keyboard converted into control surface, MIDIbox TV driving the 5" monitor...  Internal amp and speakers...  woo stop me now...

Well at a sx64 there is some space above the floppy-drive. It´s MADE for a single-SID covered with a minimal CS to the front. Internally wired to PSU and a C64-Midi interface, you could run it by one of those c64-midi-seq´s via 5"Monitor. Finally Nestle could take his wrecked keyboard and built a full-grown CS into it...

well...just an idea...  :-\

(next time ontopic again!)

bye

oshidash