How many audio in/outs ?

dcreatorx

dcreatorx - You can use RCA (cinch) or 6,3 mm (1/4 inch) jack, whatever suits you best. What decides this is the equipment you are going to use to get the sound out. Most mixers accept a 6,3 mm jack, so that's what I went with. Jack->jack cables are thick and durable.  And, when you are connecting to RCA equipment, the jack->RCA adapters (with RCA->RCA cable) are less clumsy and give a better connection than RCA->jack adapters.

Although I'm sure other opinions exist...  ;)

Guest analouge

Hey. I suppose you shouldn't power the jack contacts in any way.

Some contacts have a switch in it... that's maybe the reason for the four pins.

Else, you should find a schematics for plugs like that (I mean, Jacks, XLRs etc... Then it's very very easy to see what pins to use. There are loads of them on the internet, and if you have a mixing console or any studio/PA equipment, it's very likely that those schematics can be found in the manuals of these ;)

I'm not that into the actual SID project, but I work with PA and studio apps almost every day, and that means a lot of cable soldering. And I do not know of any reason why to power any jack contact... You need to use two of the pins on the contact. (Three if it's a stereojack). But to me it seems you got a mono contact with a switch used to cut the contact when there's no plug into it.

Hope this helps ;)

Have fun!

Ingebret

Hi

Synth-o-mania is right; jacks shouldnt be powered unless you wanna blow up your speakers!!

For the sid (and most other synths) you don't need stereo jacks because it's a mono signal (like for example a guitar)

a mono cable has 2 wires; a wire with the (audio)signal and a wire with ground connections;

typical mono jack plug:

====>

the "====" part is the body (or ring); you connect this to ground

the ">" part is the tip; you connect this to your audio signal

so if there are more then 3 pins (on a stereo) jack socket you've got a switched socket; two of the pins (one is usually connected to the tip) are connected together when there is no jack in the sockets; this connection switches off when you insert a jack.

hope this helps explain