No sound voltages OK!?? (solved)

mattias

Hi

My SID is not making any sounds at all. First it made som but so low volume you could barley hear it. Whats going on here? What voltage is recomended for J3 audio out? All others seem ok !!

There is not even background noise comming out! Could it be a broken SID? I have tried all night to get it right. But it just does not make sounds.

What start up sound? Have not heard it. And now there is no MIDI comunication? The voltages was bad for a short time (like 3) where it should have been 5 and 12. Maybe its the CORE. I am  almost mad now. Must sort the MIDI before anything else.

Havent uploaded any patches whats the use (no sound)? The SID should make sounds when playing via MIDI keybord right?

I see aloot  you have had problems with no sound here. Did you get it right in the end ????

My worst fear is that I killed my SID. Or that it was dead from the start. Is no sound an indicator that the chip is dead?

Ill just keep trying  to get it going. What else could  be wrong? Some static noise should come out if its dead right?

hi,

preamp to a max ???

i know that my sid is not as loud as my other synths but this seems wrong to me (i amplify it a tiny bit more than other synths)

i would just go thru the walkthrough step by step; and write down results; after this it would be easier to ask/answer questions.

btw dunno if this makes sense but..have you checked the transistor in the output stage of the sid (right type, right orientation), i guess this is for amplifying the signal.

cheers , marcel

Maybe I should try to clock the sid from the core? Remove to clock from the sid board. Would it help?

dontthink this will solve your problem;

bout the transistor; you could try and find a datasheet, but i couldn't (is it really a CBC547?).

BTW did you buy a kit from mike/smash?>> if so the parts you got will be fine, your problem will be something else.

of course it could be a fried SID; but there is no quick way to test; you could put it in a working C64 and try a sid tune from a game or so

sorry i can't be of more help..

goodluck, marcel

Yeah. its wierd. but the part is printed CBC not BC..... And I cant find anything about CBC... like there is no thing like it???

The startupsound is like a low rapid pip pip pip pip, then there is no response on midi??? Getting new parts and som new SID:s. I dont have a working C64 now only sidchips..... :( But clocking from the CORE solved a simular problem for someone here at the forum..? I will try tomorow. I could also try ordering new CB:s and fit them. Now i must hunt down some SID chips... Later!

Yeah. its wierd. but the part is printed CBC not BC..... And I cant find anything about CBC... like there is no thing like it???

I think it´s an BC547C, even if there is printed CBC....

Just try another BC547C,.... but I don´t think, that´s the problem...

Check all connections again,again,again,.... touch them with your soldering iron..... and also be shure, that every part is stuffed at the right place on PCB,.. in the right way.

Greets,

pwx