MIDIbox of the Week (MBSEQ of mr_chombee)

TK.

A nice looking MIDIbox SEQ in a desktop case! :)

mr_chombee wrote:

I have successfully finished my sequencer a few days ago and thought I

post some pictures. unfortunately I own a shitty camera, so the quality

is rather bad. however,  thanks a ton for this awesome project and keep

it going!

some construction notes:

- the seq is built into an old access virus housing

- the buttons are made from old typewriter keys with plexiglass glued on top

( for more information see this thread:

http://www.midibox.org/forum/index.php?topic=3738.0 )

- button markings are done with letraset / varnish

- frontpanel-design has been realized with InkCeran (a paper similar to

lazertran, but way more complicated in handling. the results are not

really satisfying, but I can live with it)

nico1.jpg

nico2.jpg

nico3.jpg

nico4.jpg

;D I really like it,.... the keys are pretty cool!!!!

Same here!

Are those new, or from a computer keyboard? I was talking to someone here about the computer keys. I'm using some old keys from a Mac II (ADB). They're all individual momentaries. I've wondered about sanding down the slightly concave surface to kill the labels and figuring out how to re-label them.

-George

thanks everyone!

please tell me you never had the whole machine !!!

and if you didn't >>how did you get an empty housing

I bought an optional rackmount case for my virus years ago. this replaces the virus' original housing, so it was leftover and seemed to fit perfectly for the sequencer.

Are those new, or from a computer keyboard? I was talking to someone here about the computer keys. I'm using some old keys from a Mac II (ADB). They're all individual momentaries. I've wondered about sanding down the slightly concave surface to kill the labels and figuring out how to re-label them.

the keys are from an old cherry pc keyboard. I think most newer keyboards have different buttons which are not usable. the old mac keys should work though.

mine had all individual alignments too, but I used same types of buttons for every row in my seq. just had to adjust the mounting height...

as for labelling, I've sanded them until the original labels disappeared. new labels are done with letraset (abrasive letters for pcb design) and 3 layers of varnish.

cheers,

nico

the keys are from an old cherry pc keyboard. I think most newer keyboards have different buttons which are not usable. the old mac keys should work though.

Cool! Yes, I think the old beige Mac boards all have them (beige G3 --> way,way back classic)

mine had all individual alignments too, but I used same types of buttons for every row in my seq. just had to adjust the mounting height... as for labelling, I've sanded them until the original labels disappeared. new labels are done with letraset (abrasive letters for pcb design) and 3 layers of varnish.

Man, great to hear that! I've got plenty of Macs, plus a big black electric typewriter board. I really like that old "chunk,chunk" feel of those solid keys. I've got six already on a test board here. They do all look like they're designed to snap into some sort of framework, and they sit pretty high. All the ones I've dissected are locked into metal frames with their plastic push tabs. They've only got 2 pins, so some may need glue if they're just board mounted.

I'm also really glad to hear that you can take the surface down and re-label. Solves a lot of the mystery for me. :D

PS- If anyone goes for a Mac board and keeps the labels. I learned the hard way that the top row of function keys were mounted sideways.

-George