a fully DIY MBSID

Attila

This topic will deal about making a MIDIBox SID using only a local shop and a friend (only for PCBs). The idea came form Wisefire's blog, but he only ordered the parts as a kit. I'm going to buy (parts) and make (PCB) it myself. The town, where I live, there are only 2 electronic shops, PDA Elektronik and Satelcom. I prefer PDA, so I will buy the parts there. I've already ordered the PIC a week ago. Still nothing. Tomorrow I'm going to buy the other parts. Since I'm a 16-year old student, who is low on budget, so I will make my PCBs at a friend.

Some details about the project: I'm going to build a Step A control surface, and then extend it to Step C. The whole synth will be placed in a Commodore Plus/4 machine's case, because I don't have power to destroy my fully working C64. I will also use the power supply of the +4. I have a 2x16 LCD at home, so it will be used in this project. I plan to put 2 BankSticks into the MBSID. It will be driven from my PC and my Yamaha PSR-540 synth, but when I purchase my CME UF5 MIDI keyboard and controller, it can be used for live performace.

Some detalis about me and the future usage of this *WONDERFUL* project: I'm a member of a rock/metal band, as a keyboard player. Recently I have a Yamaha PSR540, used mainly as a MIDI keyboard to softsynths. Our band is called "Dead Time", but we haven't got time and place to practise. Also we still don't have a drummer. My imagination was to play music like Machinae Supremacy does. The idea came before I heard about them, so when I discovered them and downloaded their songs, I was amazed, how good it sounds. So I hooked my MD recorder to my PC and filled one MD with MS songs. I'm listening to them often, when I'm going somewhere in the town.

Since I'm attending a secondary electrotechnical school, I have made some DIY projects at school and at home. My best friends are my soldering iron (an old, 75W czechoslovak Tesla), my oscilloscope (it's a russian one) and in this case, Norbert H. who will help me with getting the PCBs done.

For first post I guess it's enough.

Attila.

I admire your dedication to this project and wish you all the best.

I have to say though, why not get the kits?? If you add up the cost of all the components compared to the price of the kits, you're not saving a huge amount. I figured it wasn't worth the hassle.

Also, you say your soldering iron is 75W??? That is far to powerful, you're gonna kill most of the components soldering with that. Get yourself a little 14w iron with a fine tip ;)

Anyway, good luck with your project and keep posting!  I want to see more finished SID's before I build mine!

I have to say though, why not get the kits?

Because in Slovakia the parts are FAR cheaper than the whole kit. For example I've bought a 100x160mm PCB (UV-sensitive) for €3,50.

Yes, my soldering iron is 75W. I have a 30W simple "plug in & solder" type, but it's a piece of sh*t. Also here is my desk, where I used to do these projects:

desk.jpg

On the picture I'm getting done the preamp kit for my guitar amp (the amp can be also seen on the picture). There are my three best friends: the soldering iron, oscilloscope and the multimeter... :)

hi;

like Jaican and gbeth said; this soldering iron will probably fry your sensitive components.

further, i like your "do everything myself" attitude, but are you sure that you can get it cheaper there; the uv pcb is 3,50 euro but then you need chemicals, drills etc.

but whatever you decide; good luck with the project and band

That was my point exactly. I've made hundreds of PCB's, many a good deal more complex than these, and for me, the time and effort are just not worth it. From smashtv, the core modules are just $5 and to me that's not a bad investment if it keeps that ferrous chloride off my hands ;)

Some details about the project: I'm going to build a Step A control surface, and then extend it to Step C. The whole synth will be placed in a Commodore Plus/4 machine's case, because I don't have power to destroy my fully working C64. I

WAIT!!!!  Don't tear up that Commodore Plus/4.  It's worth a decent amount more than a common C64.  If you want a C64 shell, I'd be happy to send you one if someone in Europe (I guess that's where you are) can't.

Some replies:

Davo: The +4 is not working, but I have a second +4, that is 80% working, because it doesn't do any disk/tape operations. And when I turn on this (bad) +4, there are only random colours and chars. But if you want, you can send me that case ;)

gbeth: why would fry them? I have done a lot of projects with a lot of caps, resistors, transistors, ICs and other electronic components. All are working fine! BTW the ICs are in sockets, so they wont be damaged.

illogik: as I wrote, my friend Norbert has all the needed things to get a PCB done. From the printer trough the UV lamp and chemicals to the drill.

...and some news. The shop was closed due to inventory check; also I forgot my list at home.

...and last but not least an (off-topic) question: does anybody know the input connections of the Philips 7BM743 B/W TLL monitor? I would like to hook it up to my C128D. The computer outputs TTL-level color signal (CGA) and the monitor accepts B/W TTL-level signal (Hercules).

• 2 weeks later...

I am a bit angry now. Still waiting for the PIC, that I have ordered a month ago! BTW: Is it possible to build the whole thing with the PIC16F877 and then when I have the PIC18F452, I just change the PIC and the crystal? Or do I have to made some other modifications?

Tomorrow the PCBs will be done...

There will be a school exhibition of circuits in the school, and I want to show up there with the MBSID. The only problem, that this will be on the 16th of february... :( anyway, I try to be there... if not with the MBSID, then with DLV (my homemade NE555 based synth. The name comes from transcribing 555 to roman numbers)

I am a bit angry now. Still waiting for the PIC, that I have ordered a month ago! BTW: Is it possible to build the whole thing with the PIC16F877 and then when I have the PIC18F452, I just change the PIC and the crystal? Or do I have to made some other modifications?

yes, in addition you have to connect the clock line of the shift registers to another PIC pin, see also the note in this interconnection diagram: http://www.ucapps.de/mbhp/mbhp_sid_c64_psu.pdf

Best Regards, Thorsten.

I have all the parts for the core module, except for the optocoupler. They had only 6N136 and I was unsure, if it will work. Also, they had only 1,5A rectifier, but it's the same as the 800mA. Tomorrow, I'm gonna buy the missing parts (especially the optocoupler) for the core module and for the SID module.... and I'll be happy, if it will work :)

I have cannibalized some 2200uF caps from Commodores, but they are only rated for 16V. The orderlist says 25V caps. Can I use them?

So far, I spent 160 Sk for the PCB, 295 Sk for the PIC and 85 Sk for the parts. That's 540 Sk alltogether, or in euros €14,50. Pretty good, isn't it?

Fine! I'm not in school. :) I've got a cold and just sitting at the PC or watching TV. But I have all the thing, except for the rotary encoder. I don't know it's name in slovak or hungarian (they speak both in the shop, me too). When I was in the shop, it was a bit like Activity: it's like a pot, but when you turn it to the left, it connects the common pin and first pin for a while, but when you turn it to the right, it connects the common pin with the another pin.

I also have the PCBs, and started assembling the core module. I've got a nice 30w soldering iron and a MIDI cable to my PC. Next week I'll get a MIDI cable to connect it with my synth (Yamaha PSR-540).

Anybody some suggestions? Or are you ignoring this topic?

about the encoders: i had the same problem here in slovenia. nobody knew what rotary encoder was. so i ended up ordering them from voti.nl and all was good.

actually encoders don't do what you described. there are 3 pins: first is positive voltage and the other 2 are A and B. turning the encoder result in outputting rectangular functions on both A and B output but they're delayed a bit so you can "decode" which way the encoder is turning. something like this: (google image search for rotary encoder) http://www.qsl.net/pa3ckr/bascom%20and%20avr/interrupts/rotary-encoder.gif

There is a big problem with SmashTV's or voti.nl webshop. They all accept only those forms of payment, that I don't have: credit card or PayPal. I have only cash (and not very much) since I'm a 16-year old student. Would be anybody so kind to send an encoder to me? I would pay the postage (within the EU) and the encoder by "cash-on-delivery" method. If somebody could help me, please drop me a line. Thanks!

Hi mate,

I had the same problem, as I don't like to borrow money, I don't have a credit card, and in Australia (at the time) you had to have a credit card to use paypal...

The solution is to visit your bank and ask for a debit card. I have a Visa debit card, which as far as the rest of the world is concerned, is EXACTLY like a normal Visa - the only difference is, there is no line of credit, so the money that is charged from the card can only be charged if there is already money in your bank account.

The other option, is to find a friend or relative who has a credit card, give them cash, and ask them to pay for you.

Hope this helps!

I figured out yesterday, that I need a DINx1 module to have a control surface. OK, that doesn't matter, but I don't have PCBs now. Is it possible to use a DINx4 board with fitted components only for one DIN module? And when I'll upgrade my config to a full control surface, I would only fit the other parts.

BTW: SmashTV, do you ship to Slovakia? I don't see it in countries list. And is there any other solution with the payment?