MIOS uploaded, lcd showing a black bar

DRÄPPEL

As my MBFM project proceeds I have now reached the "getting everything to work" phase and run into some trouble so before I do a double check again I thought I should ask you.

MIOS is uploaded, I recieve F0 00 00 7E 40 00 01 F7 followed by F0 0B 0B 01 05 F7 at startup, this is how it should be I think but the upper row of the lcd is black while the lower shows nothing. I remember reading it's supposed to show a copyright message so there seems to be something wrong. MBFM app is uploaded too, don't know if this changes anything. So, does anyone have a clue as to why the lcd is only showing a black bar?

• 5 months later...

You should see the enable and RW line toggling during startup. If the LCD is not properly connected (e.g. signal lines swapped or a short), the driver is able to detect this (it polls the busy flag at D7), and finally gives up - the LCD won't be accessed in this case anymore, and the signals won't toggle anymore.

So, just check the signals during the boot phase

Best Regards, Thorsten.

TK ,

Thanks for the advice.

It magically started running normal, it was quite a relief to see your name on screen!

So, to future users who experience this problem, jiggle the wires a bit. Turns out my wiring was correct.

Having none of my other modules connected, it's constatly sending out midi messages, since nothing is grounded. That means everything is good! Time to finish those ribbon cables! And more pix soon.

Cheers,

Jason D