MIDI playback device

Jaicen

I had an idea for a different implementation of the seq core today.

I'm not sure if this is applicable to anybody else here (I'm sure it is), but I produce my own music using virtual instruments, hardware synths and Drum machines (bended 505  8), DR-110 etc.).

Whilst this is perfectly adequate for studio recording, it's not easily translated to a live environment.

What i'd be intersted in is having a standalone MIDI sequence playback device that's small and portable and can be used to play back MIDI files to trigger external hardware such as those already mentioned.

The device i've envisaged is small and compact with an LCD and a minimum of components, (an LED tempo indicator would be nice too ;).

What I want really is a little box showing track names on the screen and play/stop/next buttons. This can then be attached via MIDI to my synth and drum machine. I don't think any other external controls would be needed if the sequences can be programmed in from a PC (allowing the use of pre-existing MIDI tracks).

Does this sound like a feasible project??

This will be very hard as DIY in my opinion. You need lots of memory for that (I don´t think a "normal" bankstick with 256 kbit or 64 kbyte will be enough at all - it will store some seconds or perhaps even some minutes but not much more).

I don´t know exactly, but in this case I would think about sticking to commercial stuff perhaps (MIDI recorders/players or similar).

And also: Every *SLOWEST* PC on earth is a wonderful Midi player (you can even use C64´s or Amiga 500´s for that).

Greetz!

• 1 year later...

hi jaicen

in fact it is my project. have a look at :

http://4colors.free.fr

some diy devices exists :

i don't have the urls on the computer i am typing to, but it is a german project. it can read and record midi file at format0, store on mmc card, several song possible. a japanese has also done this on a pic 16F84 with bankstick for storage. the german is in .c for atmel, so i think can be adapted ; it use a 2x40 lcd driver 44780 (like ucapps does)

another possibility is to get a MMT8 from Alesis : i have one, it is very good and there is a hack to get more memory (the lack of the machine)

keep in touch

Hi Jaicen:

I think I see you post a lot on the burnkit site :D, we have some similiar peices of kit! (get a 1-bit groovebox yet? they rock!)

Anyways,

Another option would be an old palmpilot, a gameboy advanced, or maybe an ipod running rockbox or ipodlinux?  None of them probably have precisely what you're looking for, but they're all open(ish) platforms that could have the application built.

Cheers,

Tom