Your favorite _____ (kind of like a poll!)

poshpol

Ok this thread will hopefully be both informative and entertaining. I want people to list their favorite components in a given category. For each category you should list the Best Bang for the Buck part (good for the money) and your Splurge choice (best component for those with an unlimited budget). You may also tell us what part you HATED and would never recommend. So,

1) Potentiometers:

- Best bang for the Buck:

- Splurge:

- Shit:

2) Rotary encorders:

- Splurge:

- Shit:

3) Momentary pushbuttons:

- Splurge:

- Shit:

4) Illuminated momentary pushbuttons:

- Splurge:

- Shit:

5) Faders:

- Splurge:

- Shit:

6) Knobs (D taper):

- Splurge:

- Shit:

7) Knobs (round shaft):

- Splurge:

- Shit:

If you have other parts categories I should add to the list, let me know!

I want people to list their favorite components in a given category.

You know Pol, you're awfully demanding for someone new to the community. Perhaps you should start by filling in your 'survey' yourself, rather than just 'wanting' others to give you all the answers.

You may also tell us what part you HATED and would never recommend.

We may? Why, thank you your majesty! How very gracious of you!

-drin

We may? Why, thank you your majesty! How very gracious of you!

-drin

Don't take the language so hard Drin, it might very well be a translation done by a non native English speaker. If I would for example look at it as a crude translation out of Dutch, the "may" in fact makes it a more polite question. (the "want" earlier in the post on the other hand is as rude in Dutch as it is in English  ;) ).

I agree, topic starter should go first, but I'll take a shot anyway:

I don't have a lot of experience with parts, but the ALPS rotary encoders I bought have a solid feel.

Absolute shitty parts: The rotary encoders on my Yamaha A3000, man do they suck!

drin man.... you misunderstood everything. I'm simply trying to gather a bunch of info in one thread so that people like me, that are in the market for such parts, can read and learn from other people's past experiences! I will post my opinions shortly!

So, something to get started:

Pots, Faders, Encs: ALPS (!!!) is in my view just the best. P&G tend to be as good as ALPS, too. The feeling is kinda the best you can get for a reasonable pricing (especially the pots pricing range is good up to excellent @ALPS).

Faders: DO NOT GET THE CHEAP STUFF (!!). Like Radioohm faders are pure crap. The feeling is like ... I don't know, just bad.

Radioohm pots anzhow are *ok* - not more, just ok.

The best pushbuttons are not on the market, as every button has it's field of best implementation. Those "Digitaster" @ Reichelt e.g. are good for programming like stuff (e.g. the left, rigt, Snapshot, Execute buttons under the midibox LCD). For exact timing (e.g. some Play button in Traktor) they're not the best you can get, cause they have a pretty long push-distance. In this field normal Digi-pushbuttons (those standard pushbuttons found in many SID CS's for the matrix) with some bigger knobs again are better. The best here really is to get some "sampling range" of buttons from your dealer (just get one button of every kind) and decide what to take for the appropiate application. ALPS offers some very good and life-long-lasting push-buttons, too (and for the very cool apps also some joystick-buttons like found in modern mobile phones and even more).

I can't say anything about backlit buttons as up to now I made all this backlighting stuff by myself. ;)

For the knobs: You can NOT say anything about that really!! Every one here has his own taste about that topic so you would get 100's of different answers. Just take the stuff you think looks cool. Not more to say about that. The only thing: Normally, rubbered knobs give a better feeling and more precise interaction. But most other materials are good, too (e.g. aluminium or normal plastic). Just the "plain" plastic knobs (without any textured surface) tend to be a little crappy as you simply slide off with your fingers easily.

I hope that's enough for a beginning. :)

Greetz!

drin man.... you misunderstood everything. I'm simply trying to gather a bunch of info in one thread so that people like me, that are in the market for such parts, can read and learn from other people's past experiences! I will post my opinions shortly!

So why not read through the 'Parts' forum and learn what's already there, then post a helpful summary yourself? Why expect everyone else to do all your research for you?

-drin

• 3 weeks later...

Hey I am in the process of experimenting with diferent components. I have a switch in front of me, don't remember where I got it from. It was extremely difficult to find.

C&K MP01R02CBE (many configs. possible)

http://www.ittcannon.com/media/pdf/switches/ckcorp/mptactil.pdf

I couldn't find pictures of the C&K model I have an love, but these are Shanpu, and look similar:

supplier1.jpg

Do you know of any alternatives that are easily available and not too expensive?

Unfortunately, i have already visited the site and I don't want to order anything from them. I would prefer to order from an american site... Like Mouser and Digi-Key but I don't know of any similar swtiches :(

Two things:

- why only American sites? If your switches are so difficult to find, surely at one point you'll want to order them anywhere?

- Happy searching the sites you do want to order from.