SAM Speech synthesizer With My MidiBOx sid !

toxictv101

If you ever heard a C64 speak you know it has to use all 3 voices to produce something recognizable as speach. To try to wavetable something that copmplex is either masochistic or crazy. I believe the C64 samples where digitized via special software (I think conversion to wavetables is exactly what the digitizing did), if you could just do that and then convert it to a patch loadable by MBSID, you've got yourself an analogue sampler  8)

• 2 weeks later...

wasnt the sample playback with the SIDmore like using a SID VCA bug...

imho you'vee got an offset dc voltage thats fed into the vca of the sid...

when you programm the wavetable with the different vca volume settings for the samples, the dc offset will

be modulated to a sound...

correct me if i'm wrong ;D

best,

julian

wasnt the sample playback with the SIDmore like using a SID VCA bug...

imho you'vee got an offset dc voltage thats fed into the vca of the sid...

when you programm the wavetable with the different vca volume settings for the samples, the dc offset will

be modulated to a sound...

correct me if i'm wrong ;D

best,

julian

No, you're right actually. I have to do my homewotk more properly  ;D

But, as far as I know, you need more than one osc in wavetable mode to create something that sounds good. (at least that's what I think, taking into account that in SID tunes with good digitized sound, you always hear more than one voice stop playing music while the sample is being played. The really complex samples are being played back wile no other sounds are being made....correct me if I'm wrong!  ;) )

i think it's the final mixer (that sums the 3 voices) that's buggy and outputs DC - that's why when samples are played nothing else can be heard... i might be wrong though.

No, I've heard examples of background sound AND sample playback. Try Turrican intro for example (part of the HVSC): it's a spoken text with a padsound on the background. But I believe that the more complex the sample has to be, the more wavetable voices you have to use, so the less osc's are left available for music.

• 4 weeks later...

maby

if someone can describe how "S.A.M" control the Sid CHip

to make her talk.

We could Answer to that

i just love the sound of this speech synth

isn't it possible to make it run under Mios ????,

i know that all computer add a version of this prog

when it was release ...  ( atari, amiga, macintosh, commodore ... )