LED question.

poshpol

I've read here on these boards that the ideal brightness for LEDs in our application is around 150nm. However, the LED's i want (spectrumleds on Ebay) have the following specs:

5mm Water Clear Lens

4,000-6,000 mcd (luminous intensity)

3.2 - 3.6 volts operating range

20° viewing angle

Wavelength: 460-470nm

Are these compatible with the DOUT board? Will I need additional resistors to use them safely (not burn them)? To lower brightness is not really a concern of mine, I like em bright!

Careful with LED's... People often forget that the really bright, cool looking ones, are generally very dangerous for your eyes if you look at them for extended periods of time. You might be the coolest kid on the block with custom blue LED's, but in 20 years, you'll also have the most cataracts. Don't be a fashion victim!

I do have the clear blue LEDs, and instead of creating a MidiBox that can light the entire room when it's on, I'm going to use bigger resistors (1K) to limit the current, so they'll be a lot easier to look at  8)

Still have to expiriment with the proper resistor values though, I have a bunch of 5mm that I think are still too bright with 1K resistor in front. The 3mm ones on the other hand should be fine....I hope :)

• 1 month later...

Here's an idea that I am sure is well known to guys who've done this for awhile, but something that you could also consider - if you have room for it, could you wire up a pot to control the voltage to the LED's? In this way, you get the ability to turn the brightness to whatever is required - from full power to low-level.

If I'm wrong on this, someone smart please correct me.

Don.