PIC burner

adamwg

HI,

I want to make a pic burner but dont want to wait for a pcb through the post (this normaly takes a couple of weeks) and dont want to buy copper clad boards etc. just for 1 pcb.

Can any one give me anymore info  on how to make one on strip board? Staring at the photo of the one on the PIC burner page and trying to work it out from the schematic might just send me a little mad.

A picture of the back would be helpfull

HI,

I want to make a pic burner but dont want to wait for a pcb through the post (this normaly takes a couple of weeks) and dont want to buy copper clad boards etc. just for 1 pcb.

Can any one give me anymore info  on how to make one on strip board? Staring at the photo of the one on the PIC burner page and trying to work it out from the schematic might just send me a little mad.

A picture of the back would be helpfull

Gee, the way it sound to me is like "Hi! I, m really impatient and don't feel like doing this stuff myself, isn't any of you guys around here crazy enough to do my work for me!?"

So, assuming I totally misunderstood your post: why don't you read the topic on the broccoli burner. It's like ONE (1) topic below this one in the list. Good luck  ;)

Ive spent the last 3 months building my midibox to work. plus upto 2 months before this researching electronics because i have no experience.  i've just fryed a pic and and want a replacement quickley as i've got this week of work before i start a new job.

So please don't get angry with me. Besides forums are here to help are they not?

I did have a look at the thread on the broccolli burner but dismissed it a. because it is an old thread from before the pic burner was released. so i assume that the pic burner would be a better. b. because i considered this a bit experimental for my capabilities. yes it is very simple to build but i don't want to end up frying more pic's as i really don't have much spare time or money. Which is why im building a midibox and not buying an Allen and heath zone 92 or pioneer djm800

Im probably wrong  i'll give the broccolli burner a closer look.

Adam,

you can test the burner's voltages before frying your PIC, this is recommended and described in detail (the testing, not the frying  ;D ).

All you need is a DMM.

You might think the broccoli-18 is somewhat outdated or experimental, but in fact it works.

If you don't miss the convenience of a full fledged feature loaded burner pcb and just need a few PICS to be burned, this one is a useful and fast way.

If it doesn't work for you / your PC, you have probably only invested an hour of time and some pennies on parts (if any money at all...)

If it works, it works flawlessly and repeatable, depending on the quality of the pc's interface. I would try one sided veroboard (the dots, not the stripes).

The most work is figuring out the connections to your parallel port (systematically...).

Just give it a try, and don't be afraid of it. At least you will get an insight of how your parallel port is working. It's not half as experimental as it sounds and so simple that it's not even worth to make a pcb for it...

Kind regards

and happy DIY

Martin

Ive spent the last 3 months building my midibox to work. plus upto 2 months before this researching electronics because i have no experience.  i've just fryed a pic and and want a replacement quickley as i've got this week of work before i start a new job.

So please don't get angry with me. Besides forums are here to help are they not?

Hi Adam,

I'm not angry at all, your post just had an odd sound to it (as far as reading does produce sound ;) ), so I felt like pointing that out while pointing you in the direction of the broccoli at the same time. The thread is indeed an old one, but with a very recent reply announcing success, and it's cheap, so I thought you might be interested. Don't have any experience with it myself though, but you can take Martin's word for it's simplicity and cheapness.

If you lack the money for buying PICs you could always request a sample from Microchip.

Please do post your recipe for fried PIC, I think we should have a dedicated section on the forum called "The Cookbook" or something, with nice recipies like that. I know of a few members who could contribute a few of their own experiences to the cookbook  ;D

Cheers,  Alex.

Hey I just have to say... I agree with NorthernLight that the first post had an air of impatience about it. Of course we all understand now that you've got precious little time and you'd like to make the most of it, which is totally understandable.... but yeh... I very nearly posted saying the same thing myself, and didn't post cause I didn't want to start an argument.

Maybe next time you're in a rush let us know why ;) It's not your fault, it's just that so many people become impatient and decide to annoy the forum looking for a quick-fix, and it might appear that you've become one of them.

• 2 weeks later...

I finaly got new pic's and have programmed them with the broccoli burner.

I Not sure what i did to kill 2 pic's, but I know now to test every pot and button before even thinking about putting the pic into its socket and turning the box on.

Thank you Alex for pointing me in the right direction. Being impatient did'nt really get me anywhere.  I still had to order some pic's anyway.

Still at least I've learned a bit more and know not what to do next time.

I finaly got new pic's and have programmed them with the broccoli burner.

I Not sure what i did to kill 2 pic's, but I know now to test every pot and button before even thinking about putting the pic into its socket and turning the box on.

Thank you Alex for pointing me in the right direction. Being impatient did'nt really get me anywhere.  I still had to order some pic's anyway.

Still at least I've learned a bit more and know not what to do next time.

If you ever run out of working PICs again because of (similar) accidents, write me a PM or a mail, I may have some spares lying around of which I probably could spare one.

Cheers,  Alex.

Does anybody have PIC burner PDF ready for print? I noticed published brd file is not complete, missing ground and exporting from eage is giving me bad results. Donet know why. Scaling is different when I open it in Photoshop. Don`t know why. Thanks in advance. Sasa

The .brd file is complete - You just don't have the SkILLz ;) Or You have hit one of the Eagle's "obscurities": GND signal defined so it floodfills and creates a groundplane. You'll have to run "ratsnest" command to create it and make it visible.

For exporting: I'd rather use CAM processor and use EPS as the device. You've got Photoshop so this is not a problem as the format goes. (Of Course, there are also PDF printer drivers...)

Moebius