MIDIbox of the Week (Enhanced MIDIbox SID of Alkex)

TK.

Here are some pictures of Alkex's (Alex's) extraordinary MIDIbox SID, called "Octopus" - enjoy! :)

He wrote:

Here are some photos of my latest Midibox sid/keyboard combo.

I had a totally computer independant sid synthesizer in mind, so I used this vintage toy piano as a base and hooked the two octaves of keys to a Din module.

I thought it could be fun to take a modular approach to this synth, therefore I customized the firmwire so that you can customize your sounds using patch leads from each of the LFOs or ENVELOPPES to any input (Osc pitch, filters, etc) just like on a real modular synth.

The Lcd displays wavetables, selected knob values, and preset management functions.

The horizontal Vu meter has Biclour leds, blue being a master output vu meter and red indicating "zigzag" lfo movement.

Hope you enjoy the pics and thankyou so much Thorsten for making such enjoyable projects a reality!

alkex1.jpg

alkex2.jpg

alkex3.jpg

alkex4.jpg

Hi!

Thanks, I'm thrilled you like my design.

One important point I have to clarify as I didn't explain properly to Thorsten:

The actual Sid core is 100% original Firmware, the whole control surface is a seperate midibox core with custom Mios application that I programmed in ASM from one of the downloadable examples.

I'm sure it would just be a matter of copy/paste if anyone would want the ideas in their box!

Best regards,

Alex

Great box man! And again, common question... how did you made panel and from what material? I also bought some old electric harmonica on flea market which i want to convert to MB SID similar to your design but without paching. As there is lot of space I am considering idea to stuck in my old PC.

Hi!

Sasa, I used http://www.schaeffer-ag.de for the frontpanel.

They offer a fun piece of software that you use to "draw" your holes with, great fun!

Kokoon,

I probably didn't go the easiest way for the patch cables, but being a real beginner,

I simply used differant voltages for each output and AIN inputs on the other ends.

When you plug a cable across the two points, the AIN value acts as an indicator.

Suprisingly, this technique has proved very reliable so far  :-\

Thanks for taking a look at my new baby  8) I'd be delighted to answer any further questions!