[S] I am selling 8580 SID chips, new old stock, US$15 each

Wilba

I have 18 new old stock, unused, CSG 8580 R5 SID chips, 1991 vintage.

These are for sale at the incredibly low, low price of just US$15 (AU$20).

Shipping and handling will be pretty cheap, at around US$3 (AU$4) per package (per order, not per SID), worldwide (shipped from Australia).

Payment through PayPal (or if you're an Aussie, bank deposit).

These SIDs come from a bulk order of new old stock. I bought enough for me and enough extra to lower the per-chip overhead of courier shipping and money transfers, etc. The ones I'm keeping have been tested and work perfectly. I am assuming the rest are the same, but I will test each one prior to shipment. (I will be using a ZIF socket, to avoid bending pins). I am selling the rest here in the forums instead of one at a time on eBay because perhaps there's others like me who want two, four or eight identical, new 8580 SIDs. Similarly, I think people here might prefer to buy SIDs from a fellow MIDIbox builder than from a stranger on eBay.

Indicate your interest in buying these SIDs by posting to this thread.

<< edit >>

CURRENT ORDERS

Ixox: 1

bill: 2

DRÄPPEL: 3

Jaicen: 2

visibleman: 4

offe: 2

DrBunsen: 2

analofbrotha: 2

Remaining: 0

Man, they are going fast!!! (see current orders in first post).

I've got a 28 pin ZIF socket I intended to use for the testing, and discovered that I can't just plug it into my SID board. I will need to solder some wires to it, or something. Hopefully this delay in setting up my test bed will be less than inserting and removing a SID 18 times. I used the "good" IC sockets with machine pins which look cool but removing the IC from them is like pulling teeth.

I've got a 28 pin ZIF socket I intended to use for the testing, and discovered that I can't just plug it into my SID board. I will need to solder some wires to it, or something. Hopefully this delay in setting up my test bed will be less than inserting and removing a SID 18 times. I used the "good" IC sockets with machine pins which look cool but removing the IC from them is like pulling teeth.

Easy button=stack regular sockets to clear close components for your ZIF socket. 

Would be insane for permanent use, but for a one-off test rig you should not have to make a wiring harness!  ;)

Best

Smash

Yeah, that was my original idea, but alas the ZIF socket pins are so fat they don't even fit into a standard IC socket. I have to at least solder some header pins to the ZIF socket pins to try this stack-o-sockets trick  ;D

OK, now comes the fun part, I have to test them, pack them and send them.

One final disclaimer:

I am selling these chips as is; I will test they work, I have faith they will arrive undamaged to your letterbox, but if they work initially and then some time later just stop working, then don't ask me for a refund. I would be in the same situation too if they stop working (I can't ask the supplier for a refund either).

To keep things really simple, the best I can offer in terms of refund is: if the SID does not work in a socket (Commodore 64C, MB-SID or HardSID) that works with another, working 8580 chip, and if you test it within two weeks of its arrival, and if you send it back in its original packaging (including postmarked envelope). Keep in mind that I have to pay any refunds out of my own pocket, so if these terms are too harsh, then bad luck.  ;)

Since some of you are also newbies and this SID might be the first you've ever tried in your hardware, just be aware that I can't refund your money just because it doesn't work initially in your newly soldered PCBs, as how can I tell if your hardware is not faulty, or that you didn't kill the SID through handling or overvoltage? For your own peace of mind, perform all voltage tests and interconnection tests before you even touch the SID, and then do voltage tests on the SID socket AGAIN, and a third time just to be sure, and then unplug all power cords before you insert the SID.

Just a thought... If you haven't tested your module with a known-good SID, here's a trick:

Buy a C64 off ebay

Pull the SID out

Get it working

Pull the old SID out

Put your SID from Wilba in the module

Put the old SID back in the C64

Sell the C64

That way you get to test the module before you put a brand new chip in it, but you don't lose any money :)

Sorry, downix, they have all been allocated.

Ixox has dropped his order down to 1, allowing analofbrotha to get the 2 he wants.

If anyone decides to cancel their order, downix can take them.

And so ends the divvy up phase.

I am soldering up my little test rig right now, and will soon start testing them all.

Unfortunately, I have discovered that 6 of the SIDs are no good. 1 of them just has a damaged filter (if you use the filter, there's no sound output). This obviously was totally unexpected, I had tested a fair number and did not expect 6 to be bad.

I am really very sorry to inform the last three who wanted some (offe, DrBunsen and analofbrotha) that I can't sell them the chips they wanted from this batch. I don't think I can get replacements because I think I've bought all the stock from this supplier. Maybe I can get more, I just don't know. I am letting you know as soon as I did so you can  buy from someone else if you want.

Again, I'm sorry, I really should have tested all the ones I was selling before offering them.

Can all those who are getting some of these chips please read their private messages?

I am ready to ship them, but I need your PayPal email addresses to send requests for payment, and your postal addresses.