Midibox Sid Like a Lego Kit!

ganchan

arf... arf.....

after days.. weeeeks... months.... YEARS of work and study, i've finally finished my SID's board.

thansk TK for the help!

i'm writing a tutorial that i'll post when i'm shure that the SID is working good. tomorrow i'll test it, now i'm too tired  ;)

SID.07.jpg

i've 2 multimiter, analog and digital. i've try them on a cheap variable PSU from 3V to 12V, at 12V they both misure 17,1V, at 9V they both misure 13,2V..

=(

i've 3 C64 Psu: AC9.4 DC4.9 / AC9.8 DC11.1 / AC9.6 DC4.8

fi the meter is out align how can i test it?  :-\

tnx stryd for help

mumble mumble:

i've 12.5 after rectifier of 9VAC, than 8.5DC after 7809, but if i connect +5VDC to Terminal 2 of 7089 i will have always 8.5DC  ???

all ok, i'd lost ground connection after 7809..

now is 11.5.. low.. argh too low!  :'(

First, measuring voltage of cheap variable PSU is not a good test. With no load, this will be much higher than it is rated. It will be at the rated voltage at the rated load, like 500mA or 1000mA.

Where are you measuring the 11.5?

The picture looks like one of your regulators is removable.

Is this the regulator for the SID? Which one, 7809 or 7812?

Try taking it out, and measure voltage going into pins 1 and 2.

This should be around 14v DC above ground. Measuring pins 2 and 3 of the 7809 in PSU should be 9v DC.

tnx wilba for help.

the cheap psu misuring was only to see if the two multimeter was equal.

since i've use Otpim. PSU schem, the ground of 9VDC stop at pin2 of 7809PSU, than SID 7812/7809 and others caps take ground from +5VDC like in J2 of SID PCB.

11.5 is at the 7812SID when +5VDC is connected at 7809PSU pin2 and with the ground like i've show first.

mhmhm..

i must connect the 2 ground together?

thankyou

..add:

ahahah.. i'm so stupid! if i connect the 9VDC ground with 5VDC ground i short the +5VDC because of the pin2 7809PSU connected to +5V itself!  :-[

4 fuse blamed  :o

argh.. no midi feedback from core  :-[

test and test and test and...... test

i've left a bridge not soldered at +5V midi out :P

i've exchanged 1.2K and 220 resistors near Opto  :o

midi msg don't feedback but if i power off the circuit i hear a POOOWWWNNNN by the audio out, it will be possible? 

yes is the ground that power on.. if i touch the audio ground i hear the same sound  8)

tomorrow mididebug day!

goodnight

MIDI debbugged! now.. if i power ON the CORE, i will recive a loop like this:

MIOS Studio

timestamp 34946000 us: Sysex message: F0 00 00 7E 40 00 01 F7

timestamp 36838000 us: Sysex message: F0 00 00 7E 40 00 01 F7

MIDI-OX

000134C5  1  --    F0  Buffer:    8 Bytes  System Exclusive

SYSX: F0 00 00 7E 40 00 01 F7

00013C29  1  --    F0  Buffer:    8 Bytes  System Exclusive

SYSX: F0 00 00 7E 40 00 01 F7

some suggestion?  ???

QUOTE from raphael:

the brown-out feature of the PIC will reset the core, if the voltage is lower than 4.5V. So you end up in a reset loop..

possible?

That should be it.  the pic is requesting an upload.  What bootloader are you running? To work with the current MIOS it will need to be 1.9. 

Are you getting a bunch of square blocks on your LCD? (that should be the normal thing for a bootloader only PIC)

There are good instructions for updating the bootloader with the 1.9 MIOS.  The basic sequence is update bootloader-> upload MIOS -> upload SID application

tnx for replay!

PIC are SmashTv pre-bootstrapped, so i think i must just upload the SID app right?

i see all "OK" in upload control, in MIOSStudio during uploading, but the PIC never stop the loop Sysex message: F0 00 00 7E 40 00 01 F7.

now, my SID 8580 became very very HOT! i've tested all connection and are all right.. it's normal?

tnx

sorry, i thought that my PIC had MIOS just installed :)

now all upload are OK!

last for tonight, i can't hear any sound from SID. i've try to upload testone but don't work..

the question is, when i upload a new app, i must reup the 8580.hex for deapp the testone?

thanks

now, my SID 8580 became very very HOT! i've tested all connection and are all right.. it's normal?

All SIDs get hot. 6581 gets very hot, 8580 not so hot.

A very very HOT 8580 might mean it is dead.... fused internally or something... or you are supplying with more than 9v.

In your case you should upload setup_8580.hex, it is correctly configured to 8580 and will work whether you have a control surface or not.

i've no LCD and i'm using a 8580.

the voltage is 9V right.

i want to check interconnection with the InterTest. but i've a quest:

when i send a Modulation input, the voltage on the SID change just for a little time, or go to 5V since i don't make another input?

there is no other way to test interconnection cable informatio between Core and Sid? my Pc and Core are too far to push SEND Modulation button and test the Sid Pins

tnx

Maybe you can make something to test easier.

Solder a 1k resistor to an LED. First test this between 5v and ground. Then insert into SID's IC socket between pin to test (like A0, D0, etc.) and ground. Then you can watch for the LED to light from your PC ;D

I believe the pin being tested will go high until a new modulation event, all the others will go low. You should also not have the SID in the socket when testing.

tnx very good, i don't know why i haven't think this before :)

the problem is that the led not light up when i send Modulation by MIDI-OX.

i've tested all connection and solder of Jpins interconncetion CORE-SID, and are all oK..

>:(

p.s. just the CS# work.. i think because in just connected to the PIC.

at 08 & SER IC2 IC3 i've 5,2V but i must connect ground to IC pic and not +5V of multimeter.. it's right way? i've 5,2 in the others pins that are connect to SIDj2(from CORE) but i must connect +5V of multi to the pin.

how to test if 74hc595 are sane? i've 0V if i test it with +Red multi on ICpins A0-A4 D0-D7, and 5,2V if i test them with -Black multi..

Always test voltages by putting negative (black) on ground, positive (red) on pin to test.

Test 74HC595 is not in the wrong way!

Test 74HC595 pin 8 is joined to ground.

Test 74HC595 pin 16 is joined to +5v.

Test 74HC595 pin 10 is +5v

Test 74HC595 pin 13 is 0v.

Then test connections, using multimeter (test 0 ohms resistance!) and test no short between pins/wires next to these connections:

PIC pin RC4 -> IC2 pin 12

PIC pin RC4 -> IC3 pin 12

PIC pin RD5 -> IC2 pin 11

PIC pin RD5 -> IC3 pin 11

PIC pin RD6 -> IC2 pin 14

IC2 pin 9 -> IC3 pin 14

PIC pin RC5 -> SID pin 8

PIC pin RC2 -> SID pin 6

i've do this test many times, but thankyou for patience..

PIC pin RD5 -> IC2 pin 11

PIC pin RD5 -> IC3 pin 11

reading your suggestion i've finally find this:

>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

fj#d@sa#!!k$$d!!

in pdf schematics MD J10 CORE is 1pin OVER MD J2 SID ..

in the most recent relese J10CORE & J2SID wasn't 1:1 ??  :o

M3 from PIC RD6 what is ?

i go to excange cable on interconnection..!  :-[

uhm.. RD5 is not connected to IC2 14 !? uhm.. and RD3.. and..

i've to study interconnection again..

I guessed it would be wrong PIC connections...  ;D  good to hear you got it going!

yes! as usual, you're right!

i've don't understand if there is a way to play the 3 OSC separately like 3 instruments, like SID file DO, or not.. since i can assigh just 1 midi CH to the Core i think not... right?

The three voices can be assigned to different channels via SysEx (see SysEx implementation table), but the usage is too difficult. It's better to assign them to different keyboard zones, this can be done from the CS or with JSynthLib

Best Regards, Thorsten.

;D

another 2 quest:

1) i cant' find how can i change patchs by CC#, 0 is Banks ok, but Patchs?

edit: find, just use program change on PocketDial and not CC#..

2) i've a Pocket Dial with rotary endless encoders. if the cut off, in ex., is at 88 value, first time i turn the pot, it go to 0 first, than starts change values.. there is a way to program MIOS so this not happned, or changeing the type of send data, IncDec or something similar, so it start from the SID value that is?

i can only preset the Pocket from where value each rotary must start..

tnx  ::)