I feel so stupid!

hdnine

Hey guys!

I love electronic music but have been struggling to understand how MIDI work. So once again i am gathering courage to create a Midibox64 to be used as a midi controller for a range of different softsynths. The important thing for me is to have physical control over the softsynths - in other words, being able to affect parameters like cutoff and such directly from a midi controller. I hate using the mouse to do this. My problem is however that i just can't seem to grasp many aspects of the DIY building of such a device, especially when i have zero knowledge of electronics. So i had some questions:

1. Are there any beginners electronic courses on DVD or AVI out there (not text but video since i find it easier to understand through video tutorials)?

2. Are there any video tutorials on how to build a MB64?

3. If am going to use my MB64 for a variety of softsynths, how do i best plan how many rotors, buttons and sliders i need and which layout to use? I have difficulties seeing the use for buttons on such a device but i would like to have it flat so i can use different overlays ontop of it, one for each softstynth.

4. When i have a layout, where the heck to i start? How do i know which components i need?

I really would like to understand how all of this works - MIDI, building electronics and all that - since music has always been part of my life. I started tinkering with music back in 1990 and my first Amiga and have kept on ever since. I am a huge fan of analog music - Jean-Michel Jarre, Vangelis, Isao Tomita, Wendy Carlos and so on - and this is my dream. To buy these old synths and create music with them. But for now, softsynths will have to do but the workflow and understanding of them is the same. So you see, it is important that i grasp all the midi stuff as well as things like VCO, LFO... =)

I have during all this time been moderately active with music so i tend to never actually learn. I do music, my way, but i want more - and i also need a projekt/hobby - so the MB64 would be perfect!

1. Are there any beginners electronic courses on DVD or AVI out there (not text but video since i find it easier to understand through video tutorials)?

If you click on the uCapps and DokuWIKI buttons at the top of the page, there'll be some great stuff there.

I don't think so, it's a good idea though.

3. If am going to use my MB64 for a variety of softsynths, how do i best plan how many rotors, buttons and sliders i need and which layout to use? I have difficulties seeing the use for buttons on such a device but i would like to have it flat so i can use different overlays ontop of it, one for each softstynth.

Most synths all require the same basic controlls. Look around at synths you can buy commercially, and at the functiions you most use on your software. buttons are handy for turning filters and envelopes on and off and playing with lfo types and the like. Plus, buttons look pretty cool.

4. When i have a layout, where the heck to i start? How do i know which components i need?

Read the MB64 section on the uCapps site and have a look at the Electronic Basics thread in the Tips and Tricks forum. Type in MIDI ino Wikipedia and you'll be lead to some good information explaining the fundamentals and how it integrates with software.

Sorry I can't provide more detailed information, but it's all covered much more thoroughly throughout the Midibox Forum, the uCapps Website and the MidiboxWiki. The forum search is an invaluable tool, as is printing out all the MB64 Spec/Design PDFs (on the uCapps website) to refer to easily while your working.

Good luck!

If you click on the uCapps and DokuWIKI buttons at the top of the page, there'll be some great stuff there.

There's also a cool website called google or something ;)

I don't think so, it's a good idea though.

I dunno... Once you know what one solder joint looks like, there's not much point in showing a few hundred of them.... Where's the benefit in a video? (as opposed to photos)

Hey guys!

If you are truely green in electronics, you should consider buying a FEW cheap electronics kits and building them first. This will let you get used to soldering, working with wires, identifying parts and figuring their values.. etc.

At the very least you will need tools such as a 12 - 15 watt soldering iron (Weller makes good cheap ones), a soldering iron stand, solder, wire strippers, and small diaginal cutters.

A web search has shown several good looking books for electronics beginners. I havn't found much on video though. Perhaps a local college course? or even better, look for HAM radio or Robotics groups in your area, and work with someone there.

p.s. I (as would just about everyone here) NOT recomend you attempting a midibox FIRST.. Try a few kits first. Not much on the pocket book, and you wont get all sad when it doesn't work.

Not everyone's midibox build goes up without a hitch.. even some old hands at the solder game have issues once in a while.

I am in no way saying that a MB core is all that difficult, but certainly not for your solder cherry.

Thanks guys... i will try to plan the layout to see how many of which things i need. It's a place to start i guess? Then i'll try some soldering and such. Last time i planned to build one, i actually bought a soldering iron and other things, so i have those. Just need to get the basic design down and the right components.

Thanks!

everything you need as far as info can be found on here, there are links to some great soldering tutorials in the wiki (and possibly the forums).

then all you need to do is spend the time to read and digest the info and practice the soldering. Also once u start the actual midibox build i'd suggest doing a few DINs, AINs and DOUTs first and then move onto the core.

the projects can seem a lot more daunting than they really are sometimes, esp with the kits from smashTV and all the friendly folks in the forum for when you get truely stuck.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I've started working with softsynths 1,5 years ago and I'v also been a MIDI-Noob.

I already owned a PSR 630 and so I bought myself a CS-80V and a E-MU 0404 .

Then I found ucapps.de and I wanted to build myself a cheap and easy Midibox.

I know that there won't be anybody except me in this forum who recommends you building a Midibox Plus .  ;)

I've finished building it 2 months ago and I'm more than satisfied.

6 sliders , 6 pots, 8 buttons and 4 sockets for additional analog input (xy-pad,etc.)

all in all you can control 16*16 parameters with one Mbox+ .

it's just 1 PCB and really easy to build. (am i repeating myself? :))

I don't want to influence your decision, but I started as a newbie just like you and I had no experience neither in programming nor in any MIDI-stuff however I was able to build a working midi-controller.

attention! this was my own opinion. If a Mbox+ isn't enough for you, go on and build a MB64. But I would recommend you to have at least a look at the MB+ page.

regards,

matthias