2-Octave MIDI controller?

Jaicen

Hey, just wondering if anyone has any idea of a source for a MIDI controller keyboard that I can gut for my MBSID project? It must be cheap, preferably with full size keys and just two octaves. I want to keep it portable so small size is a must. Oh, and I just want note on/off, although velocity would be nice.

Failing that, would it be possible to modify a DIN to act as a keyboard scanning matrix, so I can gut a cheap toy keyboard, and install that with switches underneath??

• 1 month later...

... or you rip off an old organ ...

I did that with some Dr. Böhm organs (well known in germany). You'll get them for a few bucks and they have pretty good fill size keyboards which are mounted single (Every key has four screws on a frame). So you can unscrew as many keys as you like and the cut the frame to the size you like.

greets

Doc

What do you think about the C64 keyboard ;)

C64-freeplay.jpg

C64-freeplay2.jpg

The software is unfinished. But the hardware is ok.

You can play on nearly three octaves on any channels

(the led show you the selected midi channel)

it works on batteries for hours with no screen !!!

Plus, they are quite much usefull keyboard tricks :

Ctrl+Upper row key Select the Midi channel (they are 16 keys for upper row)

Ctrl+P -> type a value from 0-255 -> Return -> Do send a prg change with input value. (of course you can correct thanks to backspace)

Ctrl+ Right or Left Add or Rem 1 to Current Prg Number.

Prg Numbers are saved on the eeprom for each channels, and they are sent on startup.

Key F1 to F4 select Octave range

Key "Inst Del" Kill all notes  ;D

The pot send a dedicated CC for each midi channel (configurable and saved into eeprom - no bankstick needed)

And many more...

Then, when i finish the software you'll instantly get a Cool multichannel 16step sequencer plus many cool stuff.

(the leds show the pattern position : wow, knightrider style  :-*), you got many cool input sync (even Hand sync  (or tap sync)!!!), joystick support etc...

You just have to plug the screen to see what's happening with more details :)

If you like it, you keep me motivated to develop the software and you become a beta tester of this cool project  8)

Hey Bill, your C64 keyboard idea is great! You did nice organisation of the midi channel selection and also octave range with those F buttons. Did you think about painting the keys black & white? It could be lot easier to play and after all you dont need the letters on it annymore.

Did you think about painting the keys black & white?

Yes i did, but :

1) it's pretty easy to remember the keys,

2) it's not very convenient when you want to type something on the keyboard (to input a value)

the keyboard is used to type names, for paterns, songnames or anything !