What to do with some C64 motherboards?

narf

Hi!

I just got two C64 motherboards that look like they're in excellent shape.  Ofcorse, I'm going to be removing the SID's from them 8580R5's.  I was just wondering if there was anything cool I can do with those motherboards (all other chips are on them).  I'd feel bad throwing them away.

I guess if there aren't any suggestions I'm just gonna get artsy with them and do a some serious stoner masterpieces to hang on my walls! HAH

You can take out 7805 regulator and switches are cool. I make jewelry from IC`s and big fuse. I`ll post some immages tomorow, maybe it will inspire somebody. There are lot of 104 capacitors but they are pretty cheap so it is not worth taking them out. Also big electrolitic capacitor but it is strongly advised to use only new ones. I found very hard to unsolder components from C64 double PCB, especially when you need to heat more than one pin at the same time. I think you better think using those boards in artistic purposes.

As I promised I made few shoots of electronic parts you can reuse.

I think EPROM is great for the use because of the window which is cyber version of diamond. It is advised to bend the pins of regular ICs.

315177877_794cf661a0_m.jpg315177875_1e2289582f_m.jpg315177873_ad35395a6e_m.jpg315177871_f63afd3fb4_m.jpg315177868_184f0576b7_m.jpg315177865_46240b2606_m.jpg

For bigger immages check out my flickr page http://www.flickr.com/photos/fibra/

But maybe this is not apropriate for this section of forum as it dont have much in common with SID except the fuse  ;D

Did everybody see that case made out of boards? Craaaaaazy.

Excellent, I didn't think I'd get this much feedback.  I actually tested those motherboards today (with the chips on) and they all seem to work.  DJ3nK says they'll work even without the SIDs so I have more options now too!

Jaicen, I'm in California 90201... that's probably too far for shipping (not worth it).

Thanks all.

Put it in the oven or heat up the solder side with a heat gun (better) until the solder gets really hot.

Then shake the parts off.

Or shake the solder off, if the parts are hinged in a way that won't let them fall out. Then it's easier to unhinge the parts.

Shake n bake works best with SMD. C64 isn't SMD....

Arn`t that kind of nonlocalised heat (oven) demaging the components? What is happening to the electrolithic caps? Sure, they are not useful after this techneeque but arn`t they explode or something? Plastic coating must be smelly too, but they can be taked off before bakeing. Never tried this but I will, surely.