where to buy a PIC18F4620 in germany?

zeh

hi there,

where can i buy the non-buggy version of the PIC18F4620 in germany? i cant find it in the reichelt shop, also conrad electronic doesn't have it. I also looked on mikes midishop, but it is also not listed there. which one is the one without the bug? because if i order one, i think its not very 'new' because its lying in there storage for some time... which one do i have to buy and where can i get it ?

thanks guys..

-zeh

Problem is, that Microchip hasn't fixed the bug in the new chip revision as expected.

The errata sheet is incomplete, Microchip has been informed about the mistake, but an update is not available yet.

So - the EUSART bug still exists, and the MBHP_IIC_MIDI workaround is still required.

In germany the cheapest source for PIC18F4620 is farnell.de

For the PIC16F88 Reichelt is cheaper.

Note that both chips need to be programmed. The PIC18F4620 requires a special variant of the MIOS bootloader, and the PIC16F88 has it's own MBHP_IIC_MIDI firmware.

If you don't find somebody who can "burn" the firmware into the chips, I would do this for free

Maybe somebody could start a community order? Because these chips will be interesting for MBSID V2 users as well in future.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Maybe somebody could start a community order? Because these chips will be interesting for MBSID V2 users as well in future.

Ok, i can make a community order if there is a common interest.

The pricing per piece (germany, farnell) would be:

10-99 pieces: EUR 7,91

100+  pieces: EUR 6,84

prices inkl. tax (19%). Excl. postage.

If we can get the order before 1.1.07 the tax is only 16%. It would be slightly cheaper then.

The price depends on the interest. If we get 100+ pieces together the price is € 6,84 for everyone!

I also will post this offer in the german forum.

8) 8) Interest???  8) 8)

greets

Doc

great, thanks for the answers.

if we make a community order, how much will the shipping cost ? is it possible to send it in a standard letter? (approx. 1.50 euros).

if yes, i will participate.

because paying 5.65euros to farnell, just for the shipping of one chip, is paradox.

greets

-zeh

Doc, are you able to burn the bootstraploader into the PICs?

Yes.

But there's another thing:

Midi-Mike telled me he will add the PIC ..4620 in his Shop next Time

If Mike will sell these chips I think it would be fair, to ask him first. OK?

I'm gonna mail him tonight.

if we make a community order, how much will the shipping cost ?

Inside Germany:

1,45 EUR up to 500g and 2,20 EUR up to 1000g.

greets

Doc

Another idea: PIC16F88 and PIC18F4620 are cheaper in the US than in Europe, and SmashTV offers them preburned with the appr. firmwares.

So, a group order could be organized from a single person in Europe, who would receive the stuff from SmashTV and distribute it to the others.

This shouldn't be understood as a competition between Mike and SmashTV. In fact I already asked Mike if he would be interested in such a possibility, but he prefers to buy the parts from a shop which is close to where he lives - especially the PIC18F4620 is more expensive in this shop, therefore I think that an alternative solution should be provided for people who want to save money.

Maybe somebody could ask Mike again if he in interested to distribute parts from SmashTV to make clear, that this is not only my private wish. In my eyes he is the ideal person for such group buys, but if he is still not interested, somebody else has to take care about this.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Maybe somebody could ask Mike again if he in interested to distribute parts from SmashTV to make clear, that this is not only my private wish. In my eyes he is the ideal person for such group buys, but if he is still not interested, somebody else has to take care about this.

Ok, I'll ask Mike.

If he still is not interested I'll post it here and we then can make a order from SmashTV. I would distribute it then.

greets

Doc

Hi folks,

I spoke (better: mailed...) with Mike and he told me that he is selling the PIC from January on.

I suggest to wait for that and then order the pic from him.

It would be not fair to distribute parts of the MB Hardware in Germany that Mike also sells.

He's doing a lot of work on his distribution, so let him sell the PICs just to honor this.

Am I wrong?

What do you think?

greets

Doc