MIDIbox64SEQ/16F (first) final V1.00

TK.

After exactly two years and a lot of beta versions, v1.00 of MIDIbox64seq is available now. This is the final version for the PIC16F chip --- the features are frozen, only bugfixes will be provided in the future. More features can be expected with the upcoming MIOS based implementation. :)

References:

Firmware:

http://www.ucapps.de/midibox64seq/midibox64seq_v1_00.zip

Introduction of the major menu functions

http://www.midibox.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=news;action=display;num=1035749682

Module connections:

http://www.ucapps.de/mbhp/mbhp_midibox64seq.gif

Button assignments:

http://www.ucapps.de/mbhp/mbhp_dinx4_mb64seq.pdf

Tutorial:

will be provided after my holidays ;-)

Compared to the last beta version, following functions are new:

32 buttons: since most people built a DINX4 module, 8 additional functional buttons are provided now: 4 "Mute Track" buttons, one "Menu Shortcut" button and Sequencer Start/Stop/Continue buttons. However, the box can still be used with 24 buttons only

Menu Shortcut button: allows a quick access to all 16 menu pages - you don't want to miss it :) The available menu pages are listed here: http://www.ucapps.de/mbhp/mbhp_dinx4_mb64seq.pdf

128 Patterns: ...are available now with every BankStick. They are named from A1, A2, A3... A8... B1... to h8

Copy function: allows you to duplicate patterns

Variable offset: allows you to set a global start point for all patterns

BPM: internal clock or slave synced is now a global setting for all patterns

Manual Trigger: stops the sequencer and allows you to trigger single steps manually with the general purpose buttons. It's usefull if you want to check or edit every single note

Next Pattern: is a mighty function which allows you to create sequences of patterns. Also a repeat function is available (see below)

Event config: the MIDI learn function has been replaced by a simple config menu for Note and Controller Events. Other events are not supported anymore (by the PIC16F version!)

Some words to the pattern sequencer: the use of this feature could be a little bit unfamiliar at the first time, but in fact this is the easiest solution for live playing - and thats the main purpose of the MB64seq - it's no groovebox, but an analog style sequencer :).

Here a usecase:

• select bank A1 and load preset 4 (N1/C1/C1/C1).
  • Change the notes on the first track so that it sounds cool.
  • Use track 2/3/4 to send controller events for different sound parameters of your synth (e.g CutOff, filter envelope decay, slide/portamento).
  • Go into the copy menu and copy this pattern to A2, A3, A4, ... A8.
  • Go into the "next pattern" menu, set the repeat value to 1,
  • select Bank A1, set A1->A2,
  • select Bank A2, set A2->A3,
  • select Bank A8, set A8->A1
  • press the start button

Now you will hear the sequence and you will be able to change the controllers in realtime. Changes will be recorded automatically. If the sequencer is running too fast for you, just slow down the BPM and make your changes without ruffle. Or go into the "manual trigger" mode and edit the steps there.

Have fun! :)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Hi,

I neither know the MC-505, nor the RPS function, but I can tell you that the step triggers are working on a very efficient way: you can trigger a single step with one of 16 buttons, the note(s) and controller(s) will be played exactly with the original parameters and length, and you can modify the values in this mode by using the pots.

The main purpose of the PIC18F version will be to replace the PIC16F firmware. All PIC16 projects will be "phased out" on this way. However, the implementation will be easier to understand, the source code will be available under GNU public license and everybody will be free to reuse the sequencer engine for other control surfaces (303, 909 or whatever...)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

P.S.: lemonhorse: nice pictures! :)

maybe a bigger version of Thorsten's idea of the bankstick...... a PIC inside a 37pin D connector!!! (or a small case built around a 37pin D connector....) I think there are a few spare pins on the PIC??? allowing the use of 37 pins?? if not...then put the crystal and 2 caps inside the box, with the PIC!! (also allowing 16F or 18F to be used!!) ;D

hey... a  ;Dcheesy ;D solution,  hack apart an old sega master system or similar, and use the cartridges to house your PIC's, and remove the cartridge socket!!! (try and use that cheesy flip down lid off the msII if possible!! he he ;D) label the game cartridges 'MB64 and SEQ' on the cartridges in cheesy 80's style!!

bye, from steve

Heyhey...

Here's my finished MB64Seq - designed especially for the new firmware:

mb64seq_1.jpg

mb64seq_2.jpg

mb64seq_3.jpg</p><p>

mb64seq_4.jpg

I'm using a diff LCD to the one sized up for the panel (which I killed ;p) and will havta wait for a replacement...

Features 10 internal banks for access to 1280 patterns ;)

Peace...

Dan

one better than the other... well done! :)

Good that you have already some place on the right upper corner. The PIC18F release will support 3 additional rotary encoders for data/menu entry, BPM and pattern selection ;-)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Hey TK

Good that you have already some place on the right upper corner. The PIC18F release will support 3 additional rotary encoders for data/menu entry, BPM and pattern selection.

That turned out nice then ;) Great stuff!!

Best

Dan

Is there anyway to have the box triggered to play when pressing play in logic? At the moment I can start and stop logic via the buttons on the box - this is fine, but it causes the tempo to keep altering...

Best...

Dan

Hi Dan,

in this case the best solution is to set the BPM to "MIDI slave", so that the box synchronizes to the MIDI clock and starts/stops with the appr. controll messages which are sent by Logic. If the box doesn't receive the clock, you possibly have to enable this under Options->Settings->Synchronisation Settings

Best Regards, Thorsten.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey...

Just started playin with the seq proper but am havin a few props trying to work out a few things:

1. say i have track1 assigned to notes and 2, 3, and 4 assigned to cc's - how/where can i set the cc i want to control on tracks 2, 3, and 4? Say cutoff on track2, res on 3 etc then each knob of that track would be a diff value for that param giving a steppy result...

2. How does the layer assign menu work?

3. Am i right in thinking i can create patterns of sequences and save these to the 10 internal banks and then be able to switch between them on the fly?

This h/w sequencing thing is new to me! ;p lovin it tho...:)

Nice...

Dan

1. say i have track1 assigned to notes and 2, 3, and 4 assigned to cc's - how/where can i set the cc i want to control on tracks 2, 3, and 4? Say cutoff on track2, res on 3 etc then each knob of that track would be a diff value for that param giving a steppy result...

2. How does the layer assign menu work?

Just enter the "Layer Assign." menu, it shows you which function has been assigned to which layer. The steppy result can be prevented by increasing the gatetime of the CC track, and the layer which is assigned to the gatetime can be found in the assignment menu. Sometimes it makes sense to have the CC gatetime in the same layer like the Note of another track (e.g. for a chopper effect), sometimes it's more usefull to control the CC value at the same layer (fast filter or slide effects) .. however, everything is in your hand ;-)

3. Am i right in thinking i can create patterns of sequences and save these to the 10 internal banks and then be able to switch between them on the fly?

Yes, you can switch between the patterns in the "Patterns" menu. Hope that your hardware has the "shortcut" button which allows to switch betwene the menues very fast.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

• 2 months later...
Guest steveT

Hia Thorsten! I havent visited the site for quite a while ..busy on other projects. I can see that the midibox concept is really evolving since I have been away!!

Anyway  I have put  your  final 16F firmware of midibox64SEQ into my TB3030/midibox64seq project ..and I must congratulate you on a fantastic sequencer!  I  only played with it for a few days but have already manged to get my head around the layers etc ..its very powerful..even using only 1 row of pots!

I will certainly be  looking forward to the 18F version when its ready. From my understnding I can upgrade my old midibox64 board to the 18F chip/firmware by just replacing the xtal right?

Thanks once again..nice one!  

steve thomas

Hey Steve

From my understnding I can upgrade my old midibox64 board to the 18F chip/firmware by just replacing the xtal right? 

That's right :)

Also, i think TK is planning to make use of 3 encoders in the 18F rls too :) What tricks they do tho - I dont know :)

best

Dan

Thanks Steve! The MIOS based version will be perfect for your case design, because it will allow to map the three parameters of one track to the three available pot rows :)

Dan: the encoders are optional extensions and will be used:

• to control the BPM directly
  • to select a patch directly
  • as general purpose data wheel which replaces the cursor left/right buttons

Best Regards, Thorsten.