do not understand this english (in PIC burner section)

"Never plug a PIC into the socket so long you haven't done the initial hardware checks, and so long the red Vpp LED and/or the yellow Vdd LED lights up!"

This sentence does not make any sense.

Is this what you mean?

"Never plug a PIC into the socket if you haven't done the initial hardware checks. Also, do not plug in a PIC if the RED/YELLOW LED's are lit up." ?

OR

"Never plug a PIC into the socket if you haven't done the initial hardware checks. Also, don't plug in a PIC until the RED/YELLOW LED's are lit up." ?

thanks,

intellijel

thanks for the input!

The warning level of the "positive version" is too low - it's like if you are saying "smoking can cause heart disease" - some people will smoke anyhow.

So, I've changed the sentence to:

Never plug a PIC into the socket if you haven't done the initial hardware checks. Also, do not plug in a PIC if the RED or YELLOW LED lits up, because the PIC could be destroyed if the pins are getting in touch with an active Vdd/Vpp level before the Vss pins are connected to ground!

Could somebody please translate this to proper english?

(I don't mean this sarcastically, I'm happy when somebody informs me about unclear or wrong sentences on my website)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

The warning level of the "positive version" is too low - it's like if you are saying "smoking can cause heart disease" - some people will smoke anyhow.
...while soldering.  ;)

Agreed, but I still think the warning is not scary enough to prevent this error.  We need something way more frightening, like a Terror Threat Level:"Orange-ish" or a Symantec virus alert. 

I'll have a go at re-writing an old virus warning for this:

Never plug a PIC into the socket until you have done the initial hardware checks. Also, do not plug in a PIC if the RED or YELLOW LED is lit, because the PIC could be permanently damaged. 

Once this damage has occured, the PIC will start acting very strange due to a condition known as "EvilPic". 

Some of the symptoms of EvilPic are:

It will re-write your hard drive. Not only that, but it will scramble any disks that are even close to your computer.

It will recalibrate your refrigerator's coolness setting so all your ice cream goes melty.

It will demagnetize the strips on all your credit cards, screw up the tracking on your VCR and use subspace field harmonics to scratch any CD's you try to play.

It will give your ex-boyfriend/girlfriend your new phone number.

It will mix Kool-aid into your fishtank.

It will drink all your beer and leave its socks out on the coffee table when there's company coming over.

It will put a dead mouse in the back pocket of your good suit pants and hide your car keys when you are late for work.

EvilPic will make you fall in love with a penguin.

It will give you nightmares about circus clowns.

It will pour sugar in your gas tank and shave off both your eyebrows while dating your current boyfriend/girlfriend behind your back and billing the dinner and hotel room to your Visa card.

It will seduce your grandmother. It does not matter if she is dead, such is the power of EvilPic, it reaches out beyond the grave to sully those things we hold most dear.

It moves your car randomly around parking lots so you can't find it.

It will kick your dog.

It will leave libidinous messages on your boss's voicemail in your voice!

EvilPic will give you Dutch Elm disease and it will leave the toilet seat up.

It will make a batch of Methamphetamine in your bathtub and then leave bacon cooking on the stove while it goes out to chase grade-schoolers with your new snowblower.

Again my apologies if you have read this far.  ;)

Got a bit of hurry up and wait down time, trying to entertain myself and you with ten year old jokes.....  ;D

Best

Smash