sid chips like hot cakes

kris

i just saw some 8580s on ebay

i sent the guy an email about combined postage

went back twenty minutes later and there gone

these sid chips are like gold dust and i had so many c64 back in the day and gave  them away ohwell thats life i suppose

regards kris

Yeah, the best are those people charging twenty-somewhat Euros for one single chip. HELLO?!? And people are actually paying that! HEEEELLOOOO?!?

I really do think it would be worth for some IC-fab to get the old schematics (buy them or whatever) and produce some of those ICs. It should be hell-easy to do (comparing the IC structural sizes from C64-times and nowadays), cost like nothing and still can be sold for the same money like modern controller chips (let´s say 4 Euros per piece). Should be some hellish margin.

Only problem: Will they be sold? One typical lot of IC´s yields like 5000 single chips. And things only get cost-effective if you´re able to sell at least 10 lots. 50000 SID chips? Not a prob to sell them, is there?

Yeah, the best are those people charging twenty-somewhat Euros for one single chip. HELLO?!? And people are actually paying that! HEEEELLOOOO?!?

I've sold a few 6582 SIDs on eBay and they have sold for high prices... up to AU$103  ;D

I will sell some more here on the forum, there are so many people trying to find SIDs to make a MIDIbox SID and having to compete with C64 fans (or Prophet64 or HardSID fans).

yea ill keep looking

im shure ill find some

the annoying thing for me is i must have given/thrown away at least six c64

because i didnt have the space to store them and now i would like some sid chips but cant get them doh

its a strange world

regards kris

I wonder if you could fab up a reproduction in discrete chips on a smallish board?

Largish board if you're lucky......

However, there may yet be a way:

http://bach.ece.jhu.edu/~tim/research/fpaa/fpaa.html

An actual product

http://www.actel.com/products/fusion/

It makes me wonder about an entire synth on one of these, with DCO's and sequencer implemented in the logic side. This is just me being curious, I've done no more than skim the articles thinking 'looks cool'.

I just like the thought of, for instance, being able to reconfgure filters 'on the fly', though emulating that nice Moog or MS20 dstortion might be another problem.

It all started with me looking for a substitute for my Electronics Associates TR48 analog computer that I donated to Bletchley Park museum when I moved house. I just wish analogue synths had been made with that level of quality. Presently I've got a tiny analogue computer made of of modern op-amps etc, I thought the array might open the way to a much larger one, and then, of course, if it will build an anlog computer, why not a synth? I'm not sure of the analog/digital balance in the things, so more than one might be needed.

Something worth looking at anyway.

Mike

edited for ypting rerros

Indeed true words! Why?

Cause there are sooooo many solutions trying to emulate the SID sound. Most of them (if not all indeed) lack of "the last edge" to really sound like a SID. The main reason for that is the same why so many people still love their analoge modular synthies. Because they do NOT do a perfect job. Because they DO have errors, mistakes, hinches and hatches. That´s the problem if you try to simulate a SID (either on hardware or on software base). You would have to simulate all the errors, too. And they are hard to simulate because partly you simply don´t know all of them.

That´s the main characteristic of the SID: It is a not perferctly designed IC. It has reeeeaaaal big problems. And aaaaalll those problems together make it sound great... as paradox as it sounds, that´s true, I think.

Solution? Get out all the old stuff (IC design, lithography from former times and all that sputters (CVD, PVD and so on) and get back to work. Like I said: I really *do* think it would be worth the effort (speaking of money AND sound ;) ).

Greetz! :)

PS: My two cents... ;D

Solution? Get out all the old stuff (IC design, lithography from former times and all that sputters (CVD, PVD and so on) and get back to work. Like I said: I really *do* think it would be worth the effort (speaking of money AND sound ;) ).

PS: My two cents... ;D

Definitely worth a least a quarter...

I'm with you all the way with this. There is another thing too, control in these devices is very much a dynamical system, (more chaotic in my case). The magnified effects of small variations makes them all sound different, and many patches unique as a result. Want it clinically the same? - write non stochastic stuff in CSound. If you want a real gnarly variable sound, with noise and edges and, dare I say it "Character", then it's got to have analogue parts, and knobs and dials.

That being said, I sometimes want glassy, pure impossible textures, so it's out with the CSound, and hopefully, when I can get my head around it Pure:Data will allow me to fuse the two in a way I want to.

Getting out there with a hot soldering iron is feeling very good right now, though, (sacrilege!), my first full running project might be not be MIDIbox....

(my tuppence worth as we say in the UK, which makes it about 4 cents at Current rates)

Mike

If there's a company that thinks about re-building the SID-Chip,

I think that they'll eleminate all those little bugs of the original chip.

The bugs we love.

Those small imperfections...

nothing's better than the original...

Actually you know this isn't that far fetched. If we could find homes for something like 1000 SID's, it would be possible to use the old masks (which are still floating around somewhere) to re-manufacture a run. Small semiconductor houses have been known to do so for other rare chips like BBD's, so it's not beyond the realms of possibility. Given that at that level of production, you'd probably be looking at less than $1 per chip, it would be a good investment if buyers could be found.

Say for instance if TK was to allow full scale production of Wilba's 8xSID design. A production run of just 125 synths would eat up the whole first production run of 100 chips. You could easily charge big money for such a design, I mean look at the Quadrasid and SIDStation.

i dont think charging big money is what its about other Tk could already be doing that

but reruns of old chips now that would be fun much more fun than reruns of  tv old programmes

id like some oberheim filters the cem chips please im shure you could sell them as there are lots of oberheim owners with blown voices

anyway its beyond me

regards kris

Just to add my 2c... all my 6582 SIDs sold like hotcakes  ;D  but I'm trying to get hold of some more... a really BIG quantity, enough to fill a production run of the 8xSID PCB... (there's no point making 50 PCBs if there's not 400 SIDs to go with them, eh?)

Stay tuned, I might have good news soon...

• 2 weeks later...