Sasha

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

LMAO!

Actually this reminds me of a page I saw on making panels for cockpits... There's this kind of method

http://www.mikesflightdeck.com/center_pedestal_4.htm

http://www.hanskrohn.com/BuildingTips/Backlit_Panels/Backlit.htm

http://members.chello.nl/koop/instruct.htm

but there was another I saw where they used a paper printout stuck to a layer of plywood and laquered it up... turned out nice as, and super cheap...Of course the page is in my history and I can't find it  >:( I meant to post it here too, darnit!

That illuminated panel looks nice.

Instead of using paper it is better, and very cheap to use transparent laser print foil on top of some acrylic sheet for diffusion. I made something similar for my pirate radio and the result is great! It is easy to make and very cheap.

Mine is made even cheaper, as my diffuser was piece of PVC foil. Check out the result. ;)

229047102_13bdde07e0.jpg

Illumination is kinda fake, as the light bulb (yes, light bulb) burned in the time I wanted to take a picture, so at the picture sunshine is used for illumination. ::)

Thanks Stryd!  I've done some bits in a similar way - some old aircraft illuminated panels seem to be a thick screen print black over the acrylic, perhaps they didn't expect some fighters to have a long service life... That section on colours and fonts is pure gold.

I've also used decent quality colour prints, double sided laminated, then glued on to an alloy backplate using spray mount glue. If you have the right kind of laminating pouches, the glue is clear, and 2 layers can act as an LCD window. This is not road worthy, but OK for prototyping.

For bigger prints I'm lucky, because the guy that took my profile pic has a pro grade, roll fed, large format photo printer. I can send him a PDF and get actual size panel art back.

I'm a firm beleiver in protyping panels. No matter how much you plan, there is alwsys one knob not quite where you want it, or in the case of some mixers. about 200...

Mike

I don`t mind anymore to have different sub-topics in this "blog", ...about hard drives, planes, comics... you keeping it alive and make people come by.  ;D I hope next week I`ll have real update as I am expecting the panels I`ve ordered. Until then let`s have some fun.  ;)

You are trying to get back on track now. Heheh. OK

Identity and personal aesthetic touch is only two things that I can give to this great project. I just change the code a bit to disable the sounds of bankstik according to your instructions and that is it. Never wright a word of code myself so ...I waned to do it more personal this way. ;)

Names are not reserved only for industry products. Right?

Why don`t we all give our children names?  :)

And here is the answer (form Wikipedia) why I called it Endorphin:

Endorphins are endogenous opioid biochemical compounds. They are polypeptides produced by the pituitary gland and the hypothalamus in vertebrates, and they resemble the opiates in their abilities to produce analgesia and a sense of well-being. In other words, they might work as "natural pain killers...

I wasn't asking "why give it a name", only asking about the name you chose.

I agree with you on the point of identity and personal aesthetic touch, that's why I spent the time to make a nice looking box ;D and give it a name like MB-6582  ;)

I wasn't asking "why give it a name", only asking about the name you chose.

I understood, but I explain it because few people asked me why name it if it`s DIY.

I agree with you on the point of identity and personal aesthetic touch, that's why I spent the time to make a nice looking box and give it a name like MB-6582

Sure you did, and you made it so small. Mine is much bigger and definitely much heavier than yours, but I still love it... ;D

Now is the time for some updates...

I received the panel and case today I ordered just 2 days ago. I was expecting it at the end of next week.

I ran to the workshop (sleeping room) to check it on my synth, and another surprise followed, but unpleasant. What happens is that they bent the edges of case 90 degrees as I draw, but other way than it use to be. Another problem is that powder coating isn`t thin as I saw on some other cases, so all my openings are too small.  :( That problem I can fix by filing down the coating layer (i guess). I thought I will avoid using a file this time but I was wrong.

I called the service but they don`t work at Saturdays so I must wait till Monday. I`m sure they will send me a new one.

Besides this, I am satisfied how it`s made.  Here is some pics.

panel.jpg

and here is the error

case.jpg

I started to file down the holes for buttons and just realized it is not problem in thick layer of powder coating... the problem is that it is mechanical CNC so I got 2.5mm radius where should be square! That really sucks!  >:(