Making of Endorphin (photo blog)

Sasha

Yes good old linseed oil - famous for Cricket bats, and making putty.

Another good finish is so called 'Danish oil' though this is usually tinted, but again goes with the wood and gives a rich satin finish.

For my projects in another world entirely, (Grins at Sasha), we often use water based woodstains, After a lot of trials, I can heartily recommend the 'Sadolin' quick drying range. The ebony black will make pine/redwood dark with one coat, and look quite like black ash with two. It works with the wood, and takes quite a lot of punishment.

Black ash, by the way, is another super finish. Ash is a very strong wood, with a tight straight grain, (the body frames of pre-war MG cars were made of it, and before then is was a wood of choice for coachwork). It is naturally oily, and so rot resistant, and with a classic black finish looks wonderful on the ends of a synth or keyboard.

I grew up with 70's hi-fi and synths, so am a bit weary of "alloy and teak".

Another modern look is lightly sand blasted perspex. I did some about 2 years ago, but haven't got any pictures, but back lit, it looked great. My own stuff tends to be 'get it in a box and play with it', at the moment. Looking at the work of people like Sasha, Wilba and MTE, I think this has to change.....

Mike

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mike, isnt pine too soft for "The Other Project" when some serious overstrain are involved?  ;D So, you are faking, so cheap pine looks like some more quality/expensive woods. you... ;D

I like pine in the cases when some lightweight construction is needed, but as I used it alot in past and always dreaming of some hard exotic woods, I refuse to use it for serious stuff nowdays, especially when quality is top priority, like for Endorphin.

I also used Sadolin from time to time. Good look, good protection...

Another modern look is lightly sand blasted perspex. I did some about 2 years ago, but haven't got any pictures, but back lit, it looked great.

Inspired by planes?  :) I was inspired by car speedometer from early childhood. Very usefull for gigs in the dark. Moog did it quite well for Voyager. ...I like Voyager but if I have got it, I would definitely change blue illumination for any other colour.

Mike, isnt pine too soft for "The Other Project" when some serious overstrain are involved?  ;D So, you are faking, so cheap pine looks like some more quality/expensive woods. you... ;D

Some stage props need to be B I G

I think Greenpeace might be after me if I made things like this out of hardwood:

benchstockspost.jpg

The Tall post is made of 4 sections of 240x44mm and is 2.4m high.....

Yes, it's hollow, we have to be able to move it!

(for the inquisitive, It's part of a dungeon set. made for a fetish party).

Mike

what s the plan for the art work?

probably something close to the one published at the first page, but as the main panel face isn`t gray, I might change it at the end.

Is it that that famous 3 mm smoked screen on top of the display??

No, it isn`t mounted yet. I forgot.  ;D Let me have it closed for some time, man. I`ll open it again later. I looked it naked long enough.

Looks a treat, Sasha, and I think there is something quite timeless about the design.

I was looking over your panel layout last night, (I'm very even handed, I'll borrow design ideas from anyone), thinking about a CS layout for my Rackmount SID. I think it not only looks good, but should be nice to work with too. I'm still playing jigsaw with bits of card to get a layout I like - I even have knobs stuck to some of them, but it still doesn't feel quite right, yet.

Endorphin has certainly made me think harder about it though.

Congratulations on a beautiful piece of work.

Mike

Looks a treat, Sasha, and I think there is something quite timeless about the design.

Thanks Mick.

Yeah, wood and metal goes very well together. It makes it looks vintage, but also classy on modern gear. Good old recipe. It will stay that way for a long time, I`m sure.

I was looking over your panel layout last night, (I'm very even handed, I'll borrow design ideas from anyone), thinking about a CS layout for my Rackmount SID. I think it not only looks good, but should be nice to work with too. I'm still playing jigsaw with bits of card to get a layout I like - I even have knobs stuck to some of them, but it still doesn't feel quite right, yet.

Oh man, I been playing jigsaw miself for a months... and I didn`t stopped until I was completely satisfied. I really hate designng stage as much I enjoj building it. I planned and drawn 99% of Endorphin, but that 1% makes my life miserable once the 99% is finished. I was very impatient to start building it that I said one day... enough, can`t wait any longer. I called my laserman I gone cutting acrylic. I have so much luck to find good solution how to add jacks in that tight space between 1st and 2nd sub-panel. My first midibox was well planned outside, but inside was pure improvisation. I hope next project I will design it 100% so building it would be pure pleasure.

I`m glad I inspired you. I`ve been inspired, and wanted to make angled desktop synth like Virus, but final result was brick that looks more like Artesia`s beautiful sequencer.

sasha -

man that wood looks seriously good - and it's gotta feel even more of an atchievement after all the crap you've been through recently right?

prof:

Did Rubber Ball in 2005, never did Submission, Did a run for Subversion, next London Gig will probably be 'Night of the Senses' in September.

ahhh - drop me a P/M b4 hand if I'm around that weekend I'll pop by and say hi.

Thanks David. I cannot say that achievement is bigger, as I did it right even first time. You forgot I sacrificed sequencers sides to make new one that is ruined because of the carpenter. I still want to make Endorphin/Sequoia pair...