What exactly I am looking for in a Commodore 64?

mgalper

Dear Collective Wisdom,

I am looking to get a SID module going. I've read somewhere that the commodore 64 had the chip.

My question is thus: did all commodores 64 had them?

I see a Commodore 64c, Commodore "Drean" a Commoder Keyboard.

Chip on the keyboard?

Thanks!

MG

• 1 year later...

I am looking to get a SID module going. I've read somewhere that the commodore 64 had the chip.

My question is thus: did all commodores 64 had them?

I see a Commodore 64c, Commodore "Drean" a Commoder Keyboard.

Try local adverts in the paper, or putting an advert saying you want one.

If you wanted a free c64 try your local recycle centre and you might just get lucky.

Wilba sells New (Old Stock) factory sealed Sid Chips,whenever he can get them, so keep your eyes open on the Fleamarket (Awww Yeah!),

they're the closest youll ever get to a brand new sid chip, and he tests each one to make sure everything works.

• 3 weeks later...

I had great luck by posting on facebook that i needed C64s .. i now have 3 of them allready :) just from friends having them lying around in attics, garages or whatever.... i just hope the SIDs still work ;)

A Danish webshop called http://www.retro-computer.dk/ recently begun to sell C64 with datasette for 250US$ - That is just crazy!!!! I mean, the retro value is incredible, but an emulator easily satisfies my retro needs...

Anyways, the reason i wanted to post in this thread in the first place was to ask about Sasha's posted photo... none of the three C64s i opened had the SID soldered directly to the PCB. They were all in sockets ready to be popped out by a SID scavenger... like me for example ;) one of them is even a 8580R5 as in the picture.. Sacha, is your photo from a C128 ??

Anyways, the reason i wanted to post in this thread in the first place was to ask about Sasha's posted photo... none of the three C64s i opened had the SID soldered directly to the PCB. They were all in sockets ready to be popped out by a SID scavenger... like me for example ;) one of them is even a 8580R5 as in the picture.. Sacha, is your photo from a C128 ??

Some C64's have the sid chips soldered directly to the board, its just a matter of luck really.

I think most c64s have a socket though.

Not sure what the deal is with 128's.

Luckily enough, I've got one. It is a bit scruffy but it works, I am taking a SID out of it but not sure where it would be. Can take a picture and post it.

Just take a look inside, it will be labelled as either an 8580 or a 6581 (No the 6582 as mentioned in a previous post, this is a replacement chip not actually used in the C64). They aren't too difficult to spot as they are nice big chips!