SEQ with C64 keyboard

ris8_allo_zen0

beside of that for those which are fans of C64 Keyboards and those which have built up a MBSEQV3 yet, my K64 application controls MBSEQV3's record and utility functions from outside via midi remote. That is another way to controll SEQ...

... and don't forget that K64 is good for anything than SEQv3 :)

P.S. new photos available at my Flickr page...

Best regards, Enrico

If you wanna change label of keys (like i see on photos)... it would be better to grind off the old label with ultra-fine sandpaper... then you can label keys with out overwritting the old label.

Another way is: you can change Keybuttons in special position and in new order. First you have to open the backpanel with that lot of little screws... then open the backpanel. take a bent tool (e.g. a little spanner) and you can remove that keys from backside easily. Beware of the jumping spring  ;D.

ok, have fun...

I've thought of a way to do this: spray them all white on top, then attach some "text decals" like these (or have them made by a friend of mine which owns a cutting plotter), then black spray paint, then remove carefully the decals... et voilà! White text on black curved surface!

Just a little problem: I have currently no experience about painting :)

Best regards, Enrico

I've thought of a way to do this: spray them all white on top,

mhh... maybe this could paste up later on your fingers :/ you should try it on something other before...

White text on black curved surface!
test how it looks before you fill it up...

it seems all your keys are white... maybe it looks better to have black letter on it... (maybe white on black can confuse you earlier in operation with SEQ... ;)) but it's subjective.

Only after doing my mod/patch/hack I noticed Wilba made a similar thing in its MBSIDv2, so I was thinking about using the same format at least for SR number representation: adding 16 seems more clear, and even more for who wants to build both MBSIDv2 and the MBSEQ (like me ;) ).

In other words: expect soon a new version of the patch!

As attachment there's the table of the keyboard mapping layout I used. The numbers should be right for a normal C64 keyboard so they must be confirmed by someone else. Please note that I plan to put leds in place of the space key, which should be removed.

Best regards,

Enrico

seq_keymap.pdf

seq_keymap.pdf

• 3 weeks later...

Here is another release, with Wilba's way to represent matrix mappings. From now you're free to use a DIN other than the first for the matrix.

It works flawlessly with the new 3.2a firmware too.

To use the patch, copy it in the firmware's sources folder and just use the following command in that folder:

[PRE]

patch -p1 < mbseq-c64k-0.2.diff.txt

[/PRE]

"patch" is a program already available in most Linux distros, there's a Windows version too.

Greetings, RAZ

mbseq-c64k-0.2.diff.txt

mbseq-c64k-0.2.diff.txt

Here is another release, with Wilba's way to represent matrix mappings.

I cannot take credit for that, TK did it all when he rewired his MB-SID control surface to use the switch/LED matrix of the MB-6582 PCBs. I plan to do a similar thing with my MB-SEQ control surface, so it's great that someone's done a lot of the code changes already.

• 5 months later...

After some time, I decided to paint the keys. After some other time (now), I remembered to tell the community  8)

I tried with the method I wrote here to have white letters on black keys, but the results were horrible. So I simply sprayed some white, then placed the letters one by one, then sprayed some coat. Here are the results (click to jump to Flickr page):

2280165454_fc5fea99fe.jpg?v=0

2280165334_aeea09e82e.jpg?v=0

And here's my SEQ, 90% finished (still trying to get rid of that shoebox paper without calling Schaeffer):

2280165228_88402f3495.jpg?v=0

Nice work on the keys!

Tip for the spraypaint - do big long smooth strokes, moving the can across the keys as fast as you can, to spread the paint thin... and leave a good amount of time for the paint to dry between 'coats' - but 'coat' is a bad word, because if you do it thin enough it won't cover the keys until you have sprayed several layers, which should take a couple of days if you leave enough time between them..

If you're in the know (actually you can probably buy them online these days LOL) you can find a store that sells paint to graff writers, and they may have what we call 'fatcaps', which have a huge spray radius. You have to be careful that you don't get a cap type that also sprays high volumes of paint as well as a large radius, because that's good for finishing the piece before Jake roll up but not for painting a midibox ;)