going to build c64-cased SID, anyone making panels or want to group order?

subatomic

http://www.ucapps.de/midibox_sid/midibox_sid_cs2.jpg

anyone making or ordering this panel (as pictured)?

want to group order?

let me know, and we can discuss offline...  i'm just getting started building and want to get this ball rolling on the panel...

I have the c64 case and plan to create a very similar (or same) looking case as pictured...

Alternatively, if someone can point me to a place (other than schaefer) that does a good job for less $$$,

I'll just submit the files and order it... :-)   

(i'm in the USA by the way)...

If you think "just order it from schaefer"... that's cool, let me know... (I was hoping to avoid shipping cost from germany).

thanks for any advice!!!

ok, so that brings up a question, sorry if it's already been answered, i haven't been on these forums in a while...

I already have boards from a year ago...  will v2 work on them?  or will I also need to get new boards?

I kind of want to use what I have... 

thanks for any discussion on this topic... :)

As mentioned in other threads (today two times, this is the third time): a hardware discussion page will be available this weekend. The more often people are asking for details, the higher the delay... ;-)

To give you a quick answer: it will even work with the never released mbhp_core_v1 and mbhp_sid_v1 boards - in MBHP hardware compatibility is a high priority criteria. Of course, you might have to add one or two pull up resistors at the right places, but I think this is not really a killer for the old boards?

Best Regards, Thorsten.

sounds great, sorry to be redundant.

i'll check the other threads for these 2 questions:

1.) will your changelist (listed in step C) to the front panel is finalized or not, if so, i'll start looking into ordering something...

2.) will there be a V2 front panel file posted  (for c64 case)?

1) won't be provided from my side, I will only make proposals

I'm happy with my frontpanel as it is, but of course, there is always room for improvements

2) don't know, depends on the community

Maybe you should just continue reading here?

http://www.midibox.org/forum/index.php?topic=9238.0

(please read the whole thread, not only the first posting)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

I really don't _need_ V2, assuming V1 is stable, that's just as well to me. :)

So if someone was ordering/making c64 styled V1 panels, I'd be game to go in with them on it now...

so i read wilba's thread, only a couple posts on V2, but mostly relating to his form factor and design...

entirely possible I missed it in the 7 pages...

I love his design, and wished it was out the year ago when I bought all my parts. 

But since I have the smashtv modules already, and since I really like the retro look of the c64 case ... I'm going to do that instead of the sexy PacTec case.

as it is I have planned a c64 case, and have obtained a bunch of modules from smash TV + PSU board finished + red waldorf knobs + 4 SIDs + LCD + encoders + various other parts... + a custom built in 4 channel mixer with volume and pan...  I may build in distortion/overdrive as well later...

So.. I may wait for a while to see if the V2 panel recommendations are final or not...

looking at the step C page, there's some V2 stuff there... but maybe more changes will happen later, who knows...

might be good to go ahead with plexiglass and my drill/jigsaw for now... and wait for V2 to be released before doing anything about my panel...

(i'm going off to read the V2 beta topic now... I didn't notice it until now.)

+ a custom built in 4 channel mixer with volume and pan...  I may build in distortion/overdrive as well later...

...won't you need extra holes in the panel for those?

And feel free to order a panel from schaeffer if you already considered everything and have made up your mind. Even if there would be like 5 people interested in such a group buy (which I would find much), considering the shipping costs, I think it would be most economical for everybody to place a separate order.

Just my €0,02

...won't you need extra holes in the panel for those?

yes i would.  it sounds backwards, but i'd be ok modding a panel on my own with 4 holes if it was less $$ and didn't involve me spending a weekend (or week) designing a panel...

not that i don't want to, just looking for the best ways to manage my time...  so many projects to build and family can command a lot of that time away from projects, (understandably of course)... 

thanks for the comment about cost, I haven't looked into it yet, but I was reading on here that sometimes there's group discounts, then there's "not having to pay shipping from germany to USA", which would be nice... :)    So I thought it would be worth asking, in case someone had a stack of them laying around because of some failed group buy or something...  :D

Subatomic, maybe I can help you with the panel. CNC services are cheaper in Serbia. The problem is to find anodized aluminum. I am looking for one some for myself, and if I find it I`ll lett you know. Currently I can help you CNC cut the unanodized panel and engrave it with laser. But for laser engraving panel needs to be darker or lasered letters wont be very visible I guess.

May I suggest other inexpensive but good and very durable solution. You can make panel using specialy designed  rowmark material you can laser cut and engrave. (http://www.rowmark.com/laser/Laser_Engravable_Materials.asp)

I have left some of "Texture" material I used to make my Traktor controller. It is extremely scratch and UV resistant because it is designed for outdoor use. Check out how it looks here: http://www.midibox.org/forum/index.php?topic=7008.0

hi, i like that material, looks nice, i'm assuming it's strong and not very flexible?

also, i have a beige c64 box... did you paint yours, or was it black to begin with?

if you painted it, how durable is the paint on the case, does it chip off showing the beige?

i wonder if there's a brown, orange, or red colored "texture" material...  that might look nice with the beige case...

otherwise, metal, or beige painted metal are what i was thinking, doesn't have to be anodized.  though, again, if it was, red or orange would be hot. :) ...

i have to wonder what shipping from serbia costs...

i'm also going to look into some local places, i found out recently that there's a place called "techshop" here where you can rent their machines for a month for $100, they have laser cutters, mills, etc..

hi, i like that material, looks nice, I'm assuming it's strong and not very flexible?

It is strong and flexible too. It can be heated so you can band it. Thickness of mine is 1.6mm so it needs some support from the bottom, but also does the aluminum of same thickness if you have alot of openings in it. Check the specs on rowmark website.

also, i have a beige c64 box... did you paint yours, or was it black to begin with?

if you painted it, how durable is the paint on the case, does it chip off showing the beige?

Mine was also beige, and I used plastic primer applied several 2 times, and several layers of black mat paint. Both was in spray can.

i wonder if there's a brown, orange, or red colored "texture" material...  that might look nice with the beige case...

Yes, check their website. These are also so much other different materials. Some looks and feels just like aluminum, and if you laser engrave it you can have instant black letters. Small problem for me is that they are sell just to companies, so I need to find somebody to buy it for me. The black Texture is the one I have at home.

i have to wonder what shipping from serbia costs...

Shipping would be about 10EUR.

i'm also going to look into some local places, i found out recently that there's a place called "techshop" here where you can rent their machines for a month for $100, they have laser cutters, mills, etc..
$100 a month for machine? Are you sure? Why the hell would somebody buy several tenths thousands machine if can be rented for lousy 100 buks? Crazy! If you are good with hands you can earn that money in  hour without actually buying any machine. That sounds so good that I an jealous. It is really unbelievable what you can make and buy if you are living in America. Craftsman paradise. But I am afraid I would become very unsociable as I would never come out of the workshop. :) I would probably rent some cook for another 100 bucks as I don`t eat fast food as most of Americans does and I would never needed to come out :)))

hehe. :)

well, america's a big place... 

i hadn't seen anything like this techshop until i moved to san francisco... 

as it turns out, lots of tech and hobby opportunities in this area of the country...

they're looking to expand their business, maybe you can convince them to open one in serbia?  :)

check it out:

http://techshop.ws/

$100 a month.  $1200 a year.

they're looking to expand their business, maybe you can convince them to open one in serbia?

Yes, sure... like we convinced Bush Kosovo is inseparable  part of Serbia. Sorry for comparison but It just sounded very strange but same time so familiar to me. But, let`s leave politics aside.

$100 a month.  $1200 a year.

Correct, but I still don`t get it.  ??? Anyway, great chance for you to realize your wildest creations, so don`t miss it. ;) If i can help you somehow, just ask.

wow, what a totally cool place! It's almost worth me flying over there to  finish a panel or 2!

The setup looks like a labour or love rather than a straight up make me rich type business. It looks to me like this guy probably had the equipment already and wanted a way to bring a bit of cash in and help out lots of people who are into the same sort of things he is into.

well, i talked to the owner, and his line was that he wanted a cool workshop for himself and came up with this scheme to pay for it all (through memberships).  i imagine he's seeing some business opportunity (thus the "do you want a techshop in your city?" question)...  for the members... yeah, i don't know.

i wish there was a forum where i could bug them and ask them questions, would be sweet if i could get a member to "print me" a panel without paying that membership dues...  but really, i should go and try it out...  the classes alone may be worth it, where else will i learn how to operate laser cutters or cnc machines for $30 a class...