4 directions switch

cimo

<<moved from Parts Archive>>

hi

where can i find any 4 directions + central button switch integrated device for a MB lc ? i don t mean a joystick type but an integrated switch with "4 arrows" and central switch.I remember i ve seen those somewhere but i can t really remember where..

european dealers are preferred (conrad reichelt farnell, etc)

thanks

simone

ALPS has some in stock: Search for SKRV, SKQU and SKRH. They are all pretty inexpensive and have a nice feeling, although most of them are SMD's. However I do not know where to get them exactly. Try Farnell (not reachable at the moment -> ???) Here is some example datasheet: http://www3.alps.co.jp/WebObjects/catalog.woa/PDF/E/Switch/Tact/SKRV/SKRV.PDF Probably you´ll also get it here: www.albs.de for quite a higher price (you´ll have to email them - they don´t got their complete catalog online).

Greetz! :)

hi

pay_c ..thanks for the info but that s not really what i was looking for..

so i will try to explain it better.. imagine 5 separate switches, 4 in each direction and one in the center.They are independent from and electrical point of view but they come all together in an integrated devide, usually it is round.. so that the central button is round and the 4 outer switches are somehow 1/4 of a crown each...

regards

simone

yes ok now i am picky and you all hate me  ;)

BUT

i knew those knobs from mec (hey man i live in denmark!) but then i need to cut kinda cross shaped figure in the front panel while i d like to have tehm all together in a single device, it s supposed to be panel mounted i guess, snap in..

cheers

simone

Simone,

Not sure exactly what style you're after, but consumer electronic stuff can have some decent ones once in a while too. Check this thread:

http://www.midibox.org/forum/index.php?topic=8839.0

Most of the "non-slim-case" DVD players I've seen have them, and people rarely get off their tails to use the panel buttons, so they're likely to be in decent shape even if the player is old and dead. If you (or anyone else) see any really cool looking ones, please post the models here. Remotes for them and other cheap consumer junk may have them too, but the panel parts on the players look really easy to remove and re-mount. BTW- I've got a JVC VHS player remote here with an awesome spring loaded jog/shuttle wheel with finger detent (PQ11374).

--- Still haven't ripped one open to see what's behind them, but I suspect it's just cheap tactile switches. :)

Also, I've got a JL Cooper CS-10 here, where they've used four 12mm square switches in a "diamond" pattern for directional buttons and it looks and feels really good for that, but you'd obviously lose the center button if you made something like that. The hole, on the other hand, would be nothing more than a big square.

George

PS- I meant to email you, but that button pad finally went out last week. It may get there this week.

You mean on the DVD player tip or that crap button board thing? ;)

Glad to help either way. I'm surprised nobody here has already gutted one of those DVD panels for the navigation switch. It's a damn shame to waste such nice parts on "normal" people.

George

PS Again- Don't get your hopes up on that 12 button keypad I had on that board. I'm planning to use one as well, but I never really liked the feel. It's one of those things where you sort of have to "squish" the rubber buttons in to get a response. Probably good for occasional use, like maybe numbered cue/locate buttons or something though.

• 2 weeks later...

hi

thanks george i got the crap... ehm i mean the stuff  ;D

here i ve found no broken vhs player (still, good idea!!) but this:

http://rswww.com/cgi-bin/bv/rswww/searchBrowseAction.do?obs=sObs&name=SiteStandard&No=0&N=0&Ntk=I18NAll&Ntt=navimec&Nty=1&D=navimec&Ntx=mode%20matchpartial&Dx=mode%20matchpartial&callingPage=/jsp/homePage/homePage.jsp&BV_SessionID=@@@@2021225665.1184015900@@@@&BV_EngineID=cccladdlgkkkhghcefeceeldgkidhgj.0&cacheID=uknetscape&Nr=avl:uk

wow now i say THIS is a link! hopefully you don t need a 19 in. screen to view it!

it s that MEC switch "navimec" for a reasonable price..

cheers

simone (currently annoying the neighborhood with DO MAKE SAY THINK)

Yes, definitely good prices there. The link in that other thread seemed a bit high for a switch. ???

Those ones you pointed to actually look just like something I've seen here on a cable box or something. BTW, the DVD players are probably the ones most likely to have the nav. switch (since they've all got menu navigation features), but I guess some VHS may have cool parts too. Some of the cheap import DVD players we get here seem to have a life expectancy of about 3 months too. All the more reason to rob them of their buttons. ;D

George

Enjoy the buttons if you can get them off. Hope you don't hate that 12-key thing as much as I did. It's funny, I see ones that look just like it on Eventide effects processors and stuff. I can't imagine how angry I'd be if I bought something for 2 or 3 grand with a keypad like that.

funny you mention Eventide, i ve built a box to control the Eventide Eclipse, they got this nice system with 7 pins MIDI plug where you can forward your wall wart adaptor from an input line in the rack to pin 6 and 7 of the MIDI IN, so you don t have to use an extra cable to bring power.. very cool!

does anybody want one of those switches i am gonna order one soon..

cheers