Another bad luck...

Sasha

I hardly recover from the last debacle with carpenter cutting my side-panels 3mm off the line, now another shit...

I suspiciously asked 2 times the guy in shop are all LEDs same type and from same batch, and he replied positively, both times. Even I am suspicious by default because one needs to be, as this is Serbia, seamed I wasn`t suspicious enough. After few days of soldering most boring thing ever - LED rings, I tested it and was shocked that 1/3 LEDs are faulty, or they are of some other type. As you can see they are way too dimmed than  is acceptable. I don`t know is it problem with me as I didn`t tested every single LED before gluing and soldering, or the problem is this fucking country that shouldn`t exist when you cannot believe anybody.

I wish NATO killed us all first time so few, normal, non-criminal people wouldn`t suffer any longer. Sorry for my words of anger, and negative energy, but I just cannot believe what is happening to me all the time. It is so fucking hard to realized a project successfully here, it`s just unbelievable! :(

Here is the pics, so you can see how big difference it is.

IMG_1018_thumb.jpg

IMG_1026_thumb.jpg

IMG_1020_thumb.jpg

1421_IMG_1018_jpg97c1450c95d2f5028a8899c

1423_IMG_1026_jpg93a6a394743d58bc148718b

1425_IMG_1020_jpg779a4a02c67787c8d644553

outch, sorry to hear that :-\

could it be some of them got too much voltage? dimmed LEDs often got too much power, eg. connected without resistor for some time or something like that...

I once connected 72 LEDs (= 144 solderings) with wires after a faulty plan; had to resolder everything...  :P

Michael

I wish NATO killed us all first time so few

hey man take it easy!!! it s just a bunch of metal and plastic all in all...

i had the same damned problem with 1 $ each squared blue leds, i had to fix some solder points on my custom made pcbs with ledrings, then it got better, but still some difference.. dunno if that can be the same on yours since they are directly soldered

it s pity that your refined work can be spoilt by crappy material, you know we can always forward you some stuff you can t get there

.. my plan for next 36 hours is to go as far as possible from my computer and forget about all the thingy here and have some beers.. it may be a good advice...

Well, on a positive 3mm LED note:

A long while back, I bought assorted 3mm's from this guy-  http://stores.ebay.com/West-Florida-Components

and liked the way they looked. About a year and a half later, I tracked him down for 100 more and asked if I could get the same stuff. He got me to check my old ones for a "lip" at the base and made sure his warehouse guy packaged the same kind. Good guy if you need diffused 3mm in standard colors (mine are with no lip). Says he ships worldwide, but I'm not sure if it's worth it.

Don't mean to brag Sasha, we've got plenty of s**t to step in over here in the states too (remember, I'm the guy that just bought the counterfeit flash card ;D)

George

PS- If you do enough woodwork, you may want to look into a jointer table for precise edging and dimensions. You can make a pretty nice one easily out of a cheap router and a few scraps of ply. I rough cut everything around an eighth inch oversize and then just plan to slide the pieces across that a few times to burn down to my exact pencil lines and square things up.

hey man take it easy!!! it s just a bunch of metal and plastic all in all...

No man, you are wrong. It is not about metal and plastics nor money, it is about everything you try to do in this stupid country. Nothing is functioning, and everybody are trying to fuck you up, no matter is it electronic store, your boss or government ...same shit. Every single thing that I payed to be done is screwed, but much more priceless and only thing that I actually count is the energy I put in my work. It really feel like building playing card castle and someone just kick it while passing by. You start again, and same thing happened. After some time it stop make any sense.

It is hard for you, living in normal countries, to understand what am I talking about, and how energy draining is to live and create if you are in Serbia. Everything you do is pretty worthless for all but yourself, and takes so much time and nerves to realize no matter how much you try.

could it be some of them got too much voltage? dimmed LEDs often got too much power, eg. connected without resistor for some time or something like that...

No. They are not as I tested them all together (pic 1). I also tested spare LEDs from same batch and you can see the result on second image (2 LEDs side by side)

They are probably some untested super-cheap stuff from china bought for $1/Ton.

Well, on a positive 3mm LED note:

Don't mean to brag Sasha, we've got plenty of s**t to step in over here in the states too (remember, I'm the guy that just bought the counterfeit flash card ;D)

Yes, I know :(, but most of the times customer is much more protected in states, and seller trying to keep good reputation because of the competition.

PS- If you do enough woodwork, you may want to look into a jointer table for precise edging and dimensions. You can make a pretty nice one easily out of a cheap router and a few scraps of ply. I rough cut everything around an eighth inch oversize and then just plan to slide the pieces across that a few times to burn down to my exact pencil lines and square things up.

I bought something similar so I could avoid using shitty carpenter services forever. Really nice tool but nothing fancy. It is actually hand saw with vertical guides and some kind of ruler for setting the angles. It helped me to cut very precisely new side for my Endorphin.

Sorry to hear about such bad luck, Sasha...

Maybe this thread will get hijacked with sad stories so you know you are not alone.

Stories like:

the time I accidentally put 14v into four 6581s and fried them all

or the time I bought eight 6581s from a guy on eBay (who kindly salvaged them from C64s he was selling as scrap) only to discover they all had dead oscillators or dead filters or were just dead.

or the time I bought four 8580s from a guy in Canada (who said he tested them in a HardSID) only to discover they all had dead oscillators or dead filters or were just dead.

or the time I burned a one inch scar into my left hand with the soldering iron

or the time I was trying to remove the DOUT resistors on the perfectly soldered MB-6582 and ripped the pads off the PCB

or the time I ...

well, you get the idea.  ;D

You had pretty much of bad luck yourself, Willba. Didn`t know SIDs gets so often damaged. I found only 1 demand SID from about 30 I managed to find. They are not bought at ebay, so I probably payed much less than you are. Anyhow, it feels bad.

And about bad luck wile crafting we all can wright a book, I`m sure... I`m impatient by nature, and most of personal and material damages I did because of that rather than bad luck.

Once,while I was fooling around with my girlfriend, to show her how much I love my soldering Iron, I kissed it while it was still hot.  :'( Worst kiss ever! Not much damage done as I barely touched it, but man... That was probably the most funniest thing I did by mistake. ;D But, I still love it.  Few times I was really frighten about what could happen.

No man, you are wrong. It is not about metal and plastics nor money, it is about everything you try to do in this stupid country. Nothing is functioning, and everybody are trying to fuck you up, no matter is it electronic store, your boss or government ...same shit.

The awnser is simple. (not as simple to to do maybe)

Emigrate to the Netherlands UK. I think you can find a job in no time. We are short on employees in every type of function.

I know i am emigrating to south america when i get 50. Allready saving up money :)

The awnser is simple. (not as simple to to do maybe)

Emigrate to the Netherlands UK. I think you can find a job in no time. We are short on employees in every type of function.

I know i am emigrating to south america when i get 50. Allready saving up money :)

I would do it long time ago, but who will risk to employ me illegally. As far as I know, low is pretty ruff on employers if having illegal employees. For getting work permit, company must send you job offer and make some kind of statement why am I specially needed for that kind of job, and not some resident. I`m not an expert in any field, and have got no interesting diploma.  :-\