what happens if...

Guest ekopappa

Guest ekopappa

hi there,

please don´t beat me up for this question, but i didn´t find an answer to it yet.

it´s said everywhere, that a midibox lc needs its own midiport. but what would happen if two lc´s would be connected to one midiport with a midimerger. did anyone ever try this?

would both lc´s act simultaneously? or wouldn´t they work at all?

again, sorry, if this sounds stupid or anything, but that really concerns me.

thanx a lot

greetings

john

Hi,

no stupid question ....

I did this once to connect a Mackie Universal and and a midibox (Led-Vu-Meter).

If you connect two LC , both would do exactly the same, thats right.

I'm unsure, if a MIDImerger would be the right solution. In fact you would need a Midi-Merger for the Midi-In and a "splitter" (only one IC ...) for the Midi-Out.

I don't understand, why you want this ... but it would work.

greets

Doc

Guest ekopappa

thanks a lot, doc. you really made my day.

i´m building a midibox lc at the moment, consisting of two lc´s. one is a full lc emulation and the other one only contains a master fader and a lcd for mtc and status message. but i´m a little short on midiports. so i thought, technically, both lc´s would fulfil different tasks and, if both lc´s would act the same way with a shared midi connection, they could be merged.

what do you mean by "splitter"? do you mean that the second midi in of the merger (pin 26 with a pic16) should be connected the same way as the midi out, or the first midi in (pin 6)?

again, thanks a lot.

greetings

john

what do you mean by "splitter"?

I mean a circuit, that "splits" the midi signal in two seperate signals - better known as "Midi-Thru-box". The opposite of a merger ...

There is also a circuit around here (based on the 74HC00) , but I designed another one.

I'm a little short in time now, but I'll give you the circuit tomorrow, ok ?

greets

Doc

now i am dying to know - why is this useful to you as opposed to using 2 midi channels???

Each Midibox LC MUST have its own midi-Interface. He wants to connect two LC's (both doing the same) to only one host interface. Thats why he needs it.

Two midi-channels wouldn't work.

greets

Doc

Guest ekopappa

thanks, doc. that´s exactly the reason.

i have a laptop with only two usb ports. one is reserved for the soundcard and the other one for a midi interface.

besides, i have limited space at home for my music stuff and with an additional usb hub, a second interface and the required wires it would get pretty cramped at my desk :).

greetings

john