SIDbox in Progress, Core Done, LCD Working, DIN4X trouble solved?

snebenan

Thanks Stryd,

I will probably not have time to try anything until after the weekend but I now have several things to try.

One at a time though... ;-)

(Btw, nice trouble shooting tips. No 7 is probably the one I try to learn people everyday....)

//Peter

• 2 months later...

Ok after uploading the SRIO interconnect App and doing some measurements I got the following on Core J9.

test DO:

RC Sc SI Vd (Vs)

0V 0V 5V 5V

test SC:

RC Sc SI Vd (Vs)

0V 5V 5V 5V

test RC:

RC Sc SI Vd (Vs)

5V 0V 5V 5V

I feel like I am missing something here.

1. The constant 5V on pin SI, should it be like that?

2. The only d0 pin I can find is on J15 for the LCD module, So where should I measure when doing the d0 test?

//Peter

Ok, after discussing the problem with bugfight on the chat the conclusion is that I probably need to reburn my PIC :-(

The S0 leg is contantly putting out 5V and when pulling the PIC I found no other shorts.

My problem now is that I don't have a PIC burner so I'm wondering what is most cost effective,

Finding someone with a PIC-burner and mail the PIC there or to order a new preburned one from Smash?

//Peter

Ok, after discussing the problem with bugfight on the chat the conclusion is that I probably need to reburn my PIC :-(

The S0 leg is contantly putting out 5V and when pulling the PIC I found no other shorts.

My problem now is that I don't have a PIC burner so I'm wondering what is most cost effective,

Finding someone with a PIC-burner and mail the PIC there or to order a new preburned one from Smash?

//Peter

It wouldn't cost much to build yourself a PIC burner, there's details on Ucapps and then you'd have one for any future experimentation.

Depending on what your future plans are, it might be a good idea to build a PIC burner. MIDIbox has an estimated addiction rate of above 50% - that means more than 50% of the people who have completed one project come back to build another one... and another... and another... (Well, at least that's my impression when I look at the forum  ;D).

Hehe, Goblinz was faster ;)!

MIDIbox has an estimated addiction rate of above 50% - that means more than 50% of the people who have completed one project come back to build another one... and another... and another...

Sometimes we don't even finish the first one before starting more......Although, my SID does work so I'm not really talking about myself.......;)

Yep, DIY is very addictive.

Especially when there is a nice place like this to fall back upon when you get into trouble  :-*

I will have a look at the MBHP Burner, Mike is selling it as a kit so maybe I will order one of those. And put a ZIF socket on it.

And if that doesn't work then I will probably need a new PIC and will have to order from Smash (I'm using the 18F4685)

//Peter

RC Sc SI Vd (Vs)

i notice you are listing SI here, which should always be 5v during the srio test. 

you want to test SO (SO == serial out, SI == serial in)

d0 on the lcd is a completely different signal.

i think this must be a typo, since we tested the pins directly on the pic while in the chat, but lets be sure...

Hi bugfight,

When I look at the Core schematic at Smash http://www.avishowtech.com/mbhp/mbhp_coreR4d.html

This is the pins I measured on the core.

RC  Sc  SI  Vd  Vs

these pins connect to to following on the DIN4X

RC  Sc  SO  Vd  Vs.

So SI on the core is connected to the SO on the DIN and should have the same voltage right?

During my first measurements I measured on the DIN module but to be shure I disconnected the DIN and did a second measurement on the CORE directly but didn't update my debug value table so therefore the SI/SO confusion.

Makes sense? Or Should I go to bed without supper and do my homework again?

//Peter

So SI on the core is connected to the SO on the DIN and should have the same voltage right?

uh oh, no they are two different signals.

SO on core J9 connects to SO on DIN J1

if you have indeed connected it this way, this is the source of the trouble.

it could just be due to a misreading of the labels on the DINx4 though.

J1 on smash's din has no label for SI (SO is just a pass through to SO on J2 so you can connect a dout on the same chain)

these headers have the exact same pinout as j8/j9 on the core, so all you have to do is make sure pin 1 on each side matches...

Edit. I couldn't wait ;-)

All measurements on Core J9 between Vs and the other pins on J9. (No DIN connected, only LCD)

D0 test

RC Sc SI Vd (Vs)

0 0 5   5   -

SC test

RC Sc SI Vd (Vs)

0 5   5   5   -

RC test

RC Sc SI Vd (Vs)

5 0   5   5   -

I still don't like that SI is on a constant 5V but since there is no SI mode in the testing app maybe it is ok? or should I measure SO on J8 instead?

//Peter

Ok, another update:

Short version: Yay!  8)

Long version:

Ok, I felt brave after that one and decided to give my Din another try.

I read on the Wiki that it may be a good Idea to hook up you encoders and then try to figure out what encoder whent where using this app: " ain64_din128_dout128_v2_0.zip".

Well for me that ended up with a constantly rebooting system.

Ok, I'll just upload Srio or the SID app again and get back to a stable place.

And that would not work. Mios studio hung and my computer would not reboot.

I had to do a hard reset on it.

But after trying a second and third  time, (one hand on the power switch and the other on the mouse to start uploading the app) it uploaded correct and started working again.

And.....Tada... now my encoder on the DIN works!!!  8)

bugfight was right, I had the DIN4X connected wrong. I assumed that that the two columns of pins on J1 were symmetrical. And they are definitly not!

And now forward towards the mini control panel. YAY!  ;D

//Peter

Three problems you might want to sort out:

And that would not work. Mios studio hung and my computer would not reboot.

I had to do a hard reset on it.

Dodgy PC. Probably your java installation or midi interface.... statistically speaking.

But after trying a second and third  time, (one hand on the power switch and the other on the mouse to start uploading the app) it uploaded correct and started working again.

"Wait for upload request" not working. Possibly related to #1.

Rule #7

I'd be suprised to find my PC or midi being dodgy, Java maybe.

I tried with both my midi interfaces. Midisport 8x8 and the one built into my EMU 1616m. ( I do have a Delta 1010lt and midex 3:1 as well if I need to test others)

I also tried different ports on the midisport and different cables.

I would rather suspect a some dodgy soldering on my core, but testing will tell.

I will check my soldering, the go through the midi faq and then hopefully i have something that is working.

//Peter

I'd be suprised to find my PC or midi being dodgy

That makes one of us ;D

Java or drivers are the prime candidates here.

I tried with both my midi interfaces. Midisport 8x8 and the one built into my EMU 1616m. ( I do have a Delta 1010lt and midex 3:1 as well if I need to test others)

I also tried different ports on the midisport and different cables.

And it hard locked with all of those? Then I'm going with java, or just good old fashioned windows crashing :) Good testing though! (although I hope you backed up, because crashing windows is not healthy.)

I would rather suspect a some dodgy soldering on my core, but testing will tell.

I will check my soldering, the go through the midi faq and then hopefully i have something that is working.

No amount of dodgy soldering on the core willl make mios studio crash, and certainly not force you to power cycle your PC. It takes a hardware error to do that, and I don't mean external hardware like the midibox, I mean something the PC is driving.

Remember you've got at least one problem here, but possibly two: crashing MS, and upload requests not working. They may be related, maybe not.

[glow=black,2,300]Upload process complete[/glow]

Ok, I got my Midi sorted now but my LCD seem to have stopped working.

Solution to my problem? RTFM!  :-[

I had my midi connections all wrong. I completely forgot that there is a right mouse menu to connect stuff with.

+1 Stryd

-1 LCD Snebenan.

I'm embarrassed... And miss my LCD...  :'(

Edit:

I just tried my other LCD as well. No Show.

Uploaded the Srio inter connect test again and the LCD is back working. And so is the first one as well. Hmm I'll try to reload the SID app.

Ok, LCD working again.

//Peter

Yay![me=stryd_one]does the 'it's working' dance[/me]

I had my midi connections all wrong.

AHA! Right - a midi feedback loop will certainly cause Java to fall on it's face. BTW, so will heavy streams of corrupt midi. Don't ask me how I know that ;D

Now, there is only one thing left for you to do: Sell me your midisport 8x8.  ;D

Nah, I think you will have to find another source of midisport 8x8, this one is welded to my rack  ;)

Besides, I will need it for future projects (SwinSID, FM-box, MFOS synth, and what to do with my other 8 SID chips? ;-)  )

I dont' know how many there are on ebay nowadays but I got my midisport dirt cheap (like 40 or 50 Euro ). But I found it when the "vsti have replaced hardware" craze was all over. Good for me  8)

Now I need more buttons ( I was cheap and bought only 6... Silly me... )

//Peter

Ok, three more buttons connected. The simple control panel is now ready for testing.

And wow!  :o

I still don't completely understand the little monster but I guess I need more practice.

I mean, my evolver wasn't completely understandable the first week either ;-)

I really understand that you might want the big control surface for this synth.

Now I need to get it into a box!

//Peter