MB-6582 Encoders

i45one

I was wondering where everyone is getting their encoders for this project. I see on Wilba's link to the data sheet that the shaft length is 25mm. The only encoders I can find that are even close have a shaft length of 20mm.

The encoders I am referring to can be found here:

http://www.mouser.com/search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=318-ENC160F-24Pvirtualkey14860000virtualkey318-ENC160F-24P

Any thoughts or suggestions? I have ordered the Waldorf knobs and want to make sure everything fits properly.

Thanks

If you are referring to:

Mouser Part No: 318-ENC160F-24P

Alpha Part No: RE160F-40E3-20A-24P

I believe these are fine. You've obviously confirmed the other aspects (pin spacing, etc.). I think someone else linked to ALPS parts from the wiki, but the 25mm length is not the same as the ones I have, which are 20mm length, so overall height above PCB is 26mm. Therefore, the alpha encoders you see there are practically identical to mine. I've updated the parts list.

I can confirm that with 26mm overall height, the Waldorf knobs push on the whole way with about 0.5mm gap between knob and panel.

I have updated the wiki with the exact part number and datasheet for the encoders I use.

http://www.midibox.org/dokuwiki/wilba_mb_6582_control_surface_parts_list

Dimensions are L=20mm, plus the base is 6.5mm tall, making overall height above PCB of 26.5mm.

I apologize to anyone who got confused by the link to the ALPS parts which have a different shaft length.

If anyone got longer shaft encoders by accident (or because I told them the wrong dimensions), please accept my apologies. If they have plastic shafts, you can shorten them and extend the flat side of the shaft down to the bushing (threaded part).

If you are referring to:

Mouser Part No: 318-ENC160F-24P

Alpha Part No: RE160F-40E3-20A-24P

I believe these are fine. You've obviously confirmed the other aspects (pin spacing, etc.). I think someone else linked to ALPS parts from the wiki, but the 25mm length is not the same as the ones I have, which are 20mm length, so overall height above PCB is 26mm. Therefore, the alpha encoders you see there are practically identical to mine. I've updated the parts list.

I can confirm that with 26mm overall height, the Waldorf knobs push on the whole way with about 0.5mm gap between knob and panel.

I am using those and all seems good.  They are simple to take apart also for removing the detent

• 5 years later...

I am using those and all seems good.  They are simple to take apart also for removing the detent

Hi all – can someone please post a link on how to remove the indents? I followed the link in the User Guide but unfortunately, it was broken.

Btw, its it normal for these encoders to start jumping etc after just a few years? Not totally sure what versions I have but hoping the Mouser replacements last a bit longer..

Many thanks,

Paul