Close to FINISHING Midibox64!!!!! (Photos)

stevesavage

hello, just thought i share some photos of my nearly completed Midibox64  ;D

been working on this for wot seams like ages, but i can see the end in sight!! i'm just about to start testing now with ableton live6.

inside.jpg

box1.jpg

box2.jpg

box3.jpg

box4.jpg

.....but i've got one question at the moment, which is i've changed the .syx file so that the led's respond to midi feedback in ableton. but some things dont send out feedback in ableton. so is there anyway to change the  individual outputs of the dout not to respond to ableton??? ie the rec button on the channels doesn't send midi note feedback so i want to change this button to normal operation? if you know wot i mean, any help would be great!!!

cheers and thanks for such a great site!!!!!  :-*

Abletonator

The panel looks really good, especially with the flat buttons! :)

What are you planning to insert into the lower right corner?

LED behaviour: individual assignments are not provided by the firmware, but you can do this for each shift register (group of 8 pins).

E.g., if the LEDs connected to the first SR should receive MIDI events which correspond with the first 8 buttons, and the second SR should control the LEDs according to the state of the next 8 buttons, then use following assignments:

[tt]

LED_SR1 = 16    # (MIDI Status of Button ID #1-#8)

LED_SR2 = 2    # (Button ID #9-#16)

[/tt]

all variations can be found in the midibox64.ini file of the mk_syx.zip package

Best Regards, Thorsten.

The panel looks really good, especially with the flat buttons! :)

What are you planning to insert into the lower right corner?

LED behaviour: individual assignments are not provided by the firmware, but you can do this for each shift register (group of 8 pins).

E.g., if the LEDs connected to the first SR should receive MIDI events which correspond with the first 8 buttons, and the second SR should control the LEDs according to the state of the next 8 buttons, then use following assignments:

[tt]

LED_SR1 = 16    # (MIDI Status of Button ID #1-#8)

LED_SR2 = 2    # (Button ID #9-#16)

[/tt]

all variations can be found in the midibox64.ini file of the mk_syx.zip package

Best Regards, Thorsten.

ahh i see what ur saying, will give that a go later!

with the bottom right corner, thats going to house a trackball (hacked apart marble mouse)....still keeping with the red theme!!

oh an also does any one know of a uk supplier for red LCD screens???

cheers  ;)

Hey, nice box.  Trackerball would be cool too.

I saw some red LCDs at http://shop.tronico.net/ a few years ago which weren't especially expensive, but not anymore.

I found this http://www.active-robots.com/products/intelligent-displays/matrix-orbital.shtml , but not cheap, and I haven't looked at the specs to see if it's compatible with MIOS.  Colours look spot on though.

They do exist!  I've also seen black on red.

Hey Steve, that is very nice panel! Also those flat buttons goes very well with minimal square design of your box. I was sure you are planing to put touch-pad in that hole, but trackball would be cool as well. If you use red LCD as you said this optical trackball Is my worm recommendation. Also, it is very good for mounting.

313861196_cb69de2c36_m.jpg313861193_78813cb27a_m.jpg

ie the rec button on the channels doesn't send midi note feedback so i want to change this button to normal operation? if you know wot i mean, any help would be great!!!

you need to investigate the remote scripts - the Mackie Protocol does pretty much everything you'd ever need, and if you wanna get real hardcore you can write custom Python scripts to controll everything....

Hey Steve, that is very nice panel! Also those flat buttons goes very well with minimal square design of your box. I was sure you are planing to put touch-pad in that hole, but trackball would be cool as well. If you use red LCD as you said this optical trackball Is my worm recommendation. Also, it is very good for mounting.

313861196_cb69de2c36_m.jpg313861193_78813cb27a_m.jpg

ah ha, i already seen ur post peviously and purchase one awhile ago!! just need to sort out the mounting, if u've got any good ideas about this please pass them on ;)

cheers for all the nice comments, but you've still got to wait for the completed thing......its gonna be wild!!!!!!  ;D

if u've got any good ideas about this please pass them on ;)

Steve, here is the drawing and Corel file of parts I designed for mounting the trackball. You need to find laser cutter to cut 3mm acrylic. You just need to stack the angled sides at the center part and glue blank square on top, and plastic piece of trackball onto it. Use the holes at the bottom part to mount this thing and adjust distance from panel by combining spacers or bolts until you are satisfied. Pay attention on hole on the panel to be smaller than the ball, so ball wont fall out of the controller. I hope you understand everything, if it is not clear, just ask. ;)

PS, if you don`t have access to laser cutter make those elements out of wood. Sure, forget those slots and just make plain triangles and squares. It will be same except it will look low-tech and it takes more time and effort. Oh, how I LOVE lasers!  ; :P Have I told you I find the service that will cut steel with laser for me? 5mm... no problem!  ;D

assembly_thumb.gif

trackball.zip

1627_assembly_gif284c77c0dc3a2ef8ff76b5d

trackball.zip

Steve, here is the drawing and Corel file of parts I designed for mounting the trackball. You need to find laser cutter to cut 3mm acrylic. You just need to stack the angled sides at the center part and glue blank square on top, and plastic piece of trackball onto it. Use the holes at the bottom part to mount this thing and adjust distance from panel by combining spacers or bolts until you are satisfied. Pay attention on hole on the panel to be smaller than the ball, so ball wont fall out of the controller. I hope you understand everything, if it is not clear, just ask. ;)

nice one for that, will have a look at it when i gets some time!!

cheers  :-*

• 4 weeks later...

hey steve!

really nice box!

i am working on a midibox64 too, and i never expeted it to be that great fun!

I have a question, where did you get these white connectors for the wires from

which are connected to the modules?

i was searching for it and didn´t find any. or how are they called?

thanx and lots of fun wih ur nu baby!

gabriel

hey steve!

really nice box!

i am working on a midibox64 too, and i never expeted it to be that great fun!

I have a question, where did you get these white connectors for the wires from

which are connected to the modules?

i was searching for it and didn´t find any. or how are they called?

thanx and lots of fun wih ur nu baby!

gabriel

the connectors your talking about are 0.1" pcb sockets, an i got them from maplins in the uk.

you can find them in most electronic stores worldwide, in many forms!  ;)

link to maplins http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?TabID=1&ModuleNo=1490&doy=1m11

close to completing trackball housing now. will post up more pics when done!

oh an i've just got some lazertran paper, so if anybodys got a good technique for applying this stuff, please pass on.

cheers

Steve, I just had a look at your website www.abletonator.com

Does your Abletonator also use MIDIbox hardware/firmware?

no it doesn't i'm affraid! but it was my first outing into all this midi'ing stuff, so i'm thinking of re-doing my ableton box.....all kitted out with midibox hardware soon..... ;)

just purchased a tr707 to midibox up too, i'm thinking drummachine, midibox hybrid....so if anybody got any experiance with a 707, circuit bending type info. please pass on?

cheers  ;D