PDA Sequencer

/tilted/

Hi everybody.

Just wondering.

I've been a busy little bee lately, and I'm contemplating getting a PDA to keep myself together.

I've also been curious as to the possibility of doing some sequencer type stuff on a PDA.

Anyone in here have any experience with PDAs and audio/midi?

Check out minimusic.com.  With an older serial Palm Pilot you can sequence external MIDI instruments with that suite.  Any MIDI sound module with a serial PC/Mac "To Host" port will work; you can also make up a Palm serial to MIDI cable from schematics on the web, or use a simple 1 in 1 out Mac serial (not usb) MIDI interface.  With a newer Palm device you can sequence internal sounds.

For Windows Mobile devices there's Bhaji's Loops and a few other choices.

Check out a blog called "Palm Sounds" for other ideas.

I also own a device called a Roland PMA-5, which is a 300 instrument Sound Canvas with an integrated touch screen sequencer.  Sounds awesome, interface could use some work.  There is also a series of Yamaha portable sound module/sequencer devices called QY(number)

I've never heard of the PMA-5, I now have and I WANT ONE!

I have got a QY-10, I got it for a really good price as it's near mint with original packing. It's a little fiddly to program, I kinda wish i'd gone for a QY-20. Still, as I say, I bought the 10 for about £20 intending to circuit bend, but it's too nice!

Heh.  The QY-10 was one of the first pieces of music kit I ever bought.  What a POS.  "A little fiddly to program"??  Yeah, just a tad.  ::)

If you want a serious QY check out the QY-70 and QY-700 at the link above.  I was lucky enough to find the PMA for a couple of hundred $AU in a pawn brokers.  I love the way the Roland soundset sits in a mix, and the preset loops are even useable.  But the QY-70/700 are much more sophisticated sequencers, have better FX, audio in, a mini keyboard etc etc etc.

The touchscreen on the PMA sounds like a good idea, but in reality it's a bit of a pig to navigate, and it's not backlit.  That said, it's certainly usable, and it's an essential part of my live jamming rig.  Key-locked distorted guitar feedback whammy bar action, oh yeah ;D

BTW PMA="Personal Music Assistant"  ;D