MBSID V2 experiments with Vintage Analog Treasures

TK.

Today I got the possibility to check the new CV options with the rsf Kobol expanders of Francois (username "Polykobol"):

mbsidv2_kobol_experiment1.jpg

The MBSID controlled filter cutoff and oscillator frequency of only two expanders via Seppoman's AOUT_NG module. The gates are directly connected to J5 of the core. We only used two expanders, as it already was a lot of fun (ok, and I had no MPASM ready to recompile the firmware for different routings ;-))

mbsidv2_kobol_experiment2.jpg

And here the results of the session:

Experiments with Stereo Modulation (8 MB!)

Only for synth freaks with some endurance! LP Filter and Pitch of two Kobols are modulated through the mod matrix with multiple LFOs, combined with different operators. LFO settings are tweaked during the sound is playing.

Only a single note is played! The random-like "tunes" are result of the modulation (in fact, the gate was not connected this time)

I especially like the brass-like sound at 4:22 :)

Stereo Bass (1.4 MB)

Just to check the detune function and simple stereo effects :)

Arpeggiator (1.2 MB)

Nice arpeggiator sequence (just push the button and play a single note)

Bassline Fun (3.6 MB)

Bassline sequences. Note the killer bass of the lower bassline! :)

I would like to highlight, that the AOUT_NG module works great with this gear! No need to be worried about the slightly worse specs compared to MAX525, I haven't noticed anything negative - in distance, I was surprised that there is absolutely ZERO zipper noise and perfectly matching VCO frequencies! :)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Hi TK,

I would like to highlight, that the AOUT_NG module works great with this gear! No need to be worried about the slightly worse specs compared to MAX525, I haven't noticed anything negative - in distance, I was surprised that there is absolutely ZERO zipper noise and perfectly matching VCO frequencies! :)

I'm very happy to read and hear that :) All of these considerations and concerns came from datasheet specs and theory as you can't really test everything with only VCFs. So a real world experience with VCOs is very reassuring :) :)

Seppoman