Hot 6582s

cimo

in my mb-6582, the sids get pretty hot.

uncomfortable to touch, but not painfull

(make sure you don't discharge static electricity if you try this *whack*)

i picked up some heatsinks that are almost the right size, but don't have any

cement to glue them down yet, so i run the loud fan, which helps considerably

I have considered a semi-permanent solution...

PC RAM heatsinks (conveniently 8 per pack)

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=43&products_id=21310

bmr-c1_01.jpg

Theoretically, you could solder a piece of copper wire to two edges of the heatsink, then wrap the wire ends around the SID and twist together underneath to tighten it. Use of a thermal compound is required, but I would not bother with the expensive silver stuff.

is it like they are more hot than the other SIDs? I have several running at the moment and hadnt had any problems with the heat. So, if these are running hotter, maybe I should glue some on them too.

Is there anyone who can compare the SID temperatures?

Nestle

6581 gets hotter than 8580/6582.

I would say 8580/6582 get "warm" and 6581 get "hot".

It should not be a problem if you have a ventilated case (i.e. some holes to let warm air escape).

On the topic of heatsinks, in one C64C (beige case, not the old brown case), it had a 6581 in it and a huge metal sheet that made contact with the SID (and some other chips I think) with some thermal compound.

hi

Theoretically, you could solder a piece of copper wire to two edges of the heatsink, then wrap the wire ends around the SID and twist together underneath to tighten it. Use of a thermal compound is required, but I would not bother with the expensive silver stuff.

i ve already considered this method but with a little variant:

bear with me now (and with my english)

you need a "tightening strip" which in my personal language means that kind of plastic strip (usually black or white) used, for example to tight a bunch of cables together, it has dents and a squared hole where you push in the tip of the strip.Are we there? good.

Under the IC sockets there is usually space enough to slip the "tightening strip" underneath and loop it on the top so you can press the heat sink against the IC.

uh?

simone

For some parts of my pc I use regular heatsinks. A LITTLE BIT thermal compound on the middle and some second glue on the edges.

This is a 2 component thermal glue. I glued the heatsink of my graphic adapter and its really like a stone !! I dont think i will ever get it away.

http://cgi.ebay.de/Zalman-2-Komponenten-Waermeleitkleber-zum-Top-Preis_W0QQitemZ310012749311QQihZ021QQcategoryZ78803QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

greetz

ok i got the heat sinks the zip ties and thermal compound, it just works great!!i will show a pic whenever a cam will visit my house

simone

So that type heatsink works well for you? I was originally going for more robust solution, but seems I go for this one, almost same than yours :)

35,6x22x6,7 mm Heatsink

(don't change to english or you get wrong specs (of peltier element but with same product code/picture :o)

Yeah I took a look at base PCB and it seemed a really tight fit. The pitch between each sid for me seems like 23mm so I have generous space to work with ;D And I can always modify the legs by bending the legs up earlier, or cut every second one off...