All Activity

This stream auto-updates   

1. Yesterday
  2. Troubleshooting midiphy SEQ v4+

Hi, there's no problem with that. 2 cases, device says "I'm here!" or host polls something like "are you here?"... In both cases the device always waits for a stable power to say something. No need of a complicated solution. Best regards Bruno
  3. Troubleshooting midiphy SEQ v4+

Hello, There is no power switch, as you should typically ensure a stable power rail before connecting data and the solution to that was a bit to complicated. Imagine if it was already connected to your computer with data being sent but no power rail because it was switched off. I'm honestly not sure if this would be a problem for the SEQ or the computer. But if you would like to try, maybe something like this? You would need a USBA-USBA cable. https://solarbotics.com/product/19068/ Or a USB B with a switch on it: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Snowball-B-Male-Switch-Printers-devices/dp/B07GGT9XGT   If you would like to drill a hole in the case, how about interrupting the +5V line from the USB board to the Core? This assumes that you haven't used the Molex power headers on the USB board. Simply wire an SPST switch to reconnect the +5V.    
  4. MB6582 Control Surface troubleshooting

hmm, have to admit I am not an expert here, and the main.asm file is pretty unclear to me too, sorry! this is a probably pretty uninformed idea, but maybe another place to reflow is Q1-Q4 as I assume these are providing the clocks for the shift registers (it's not clear that they are on the schematic but I can't see what else is) and I guess that is something that might be causing the shift register to give the wrong results of button presses? I guess one of the transistors has to be another candidate as they're not too hard to blow.  
  5. Troubleshooting midiphy SEQ v4+

@latigid on Hi everybody, I would like to put a simple on/off switch on the beast. Do you have any advice on wich emplacement i can safely cut a trace to do so ? thanks :)
  6. Last week
  7. MB6582 Control Surface troubleshooting

I've narrowed it down to the direction buttons to the right of the screen, the menu and shift buttons and the lfo waveform select button, all of which are in a similar area of the control surface. They all seem to select a function related to the modulation matrix when I press them, although each a different one.  Using the utility in the button troubleshooting guide I can see they are all outputting midi notes, although I found it hard to interpret this as a number of buttons across the control surface seem to output the same midi note, including some that are working fine with the mb6582 software.    I tried again swapping out some of the shift registers from the SID modules on cores I'm not currently using for SIDs. That didn't change the behaviour which suggests to me the shift registers themselves are OK.  I couldn't understand how to use the shift register tool. I get I need to test voltage across some pins but not sure which ones as I'm not knowledgeable enough to quite understand the instructions.  Lots of checking joints, cleaning and checking for any shorts but still not getting there. So close to a fully functioning mb6582 yet so far! :)
  8. Troubleshooting midiphy SEQ v4+

Hi Peter, I wish I had found the problem sooner; I had to delay work on my kit for awhile because of other demands on my spare time. Hopefully I found it early enough that you can contact most other affected customers before they begin soldering. Mistakes do indeed happen--I completely understand. After over 20 years in the music-tech business, and shipping over 40 software and hardware products, I have also handled many mistakes.  Thanks for your help. You have a good day, too! Warm regards, --Adam
  9. Troubleshooting midiphy SEQ v4+

@studio nebula Wow, very well spotted and thanks for finding and reporting the problem as soon as you did! It was correlated with our move to the new ENIG PCB process - will contact you shortly via email on how to proceed. What we will do: * check the other ENIG PCBs for this special problem (we don't believe others are affected, but we will check anyways) * contact everyone affected buying the core board since the switch to the new manufacturing process (about a month ago). * submit an express PCB manufacturing job and send the replacement boards free of charge to you and the other affected customers, as soon as we have the replacements in hand. Thus you will also get another "core main board", that you can use as a backup, as only the breakaway USB part is affected. * say "sorry" with a "free shipping" flag to everyone affected, thus you won't pay for shipping whatever you order, whenever you order next. From my main job as a consultant i learned that mistakes happen all the time, the difference is how you handle them, we hope to do the best here. Have a good day and best regards! Peter
  10. Troubleshooting midiphy SEQ v4+

Hah! Okay then. Thanks for the confirmation. I will move on to other parts of the kit and await a replacement for the USB PCB. Maybe I will check for +5V/GND shorts on the other PCBs before I start soldering them.  Thanks-- --Adam
  11. Troubleshooting midiphy SEQ v4+

Ha, you're right, the +5V plane is connected on this revision. Don't worry, we'll sort you out with a replacement. Peter will be in touch.
  12. Troubleshooting midiphy SEQ v4+

Those are the first locations I checked since obviously they're the most likely to be shorted by a solder bridge. Here's the photo; thanks for looking at it for me. It's possibly worth mentioning that I have a lot of experience with this sort of work. I'm used to hand-soldering 0603s and TQFP100 packages. Obviously there's a mistake somewhere, though. I understand that nobody's board would work if +5 and GND are connected, but you're showing me an image which appears to show that they are connected. Hence my confusion. 
  13. Troubleshooting midiphy SEQ v4+

Please check the locations I mentioned and post a photo of your soldering. Don't worry, the pours are not connected otherwise nobody's board would work...
  14. Troubleshooting midiphy SEQ v4+

Thanks. I can post a photo later today, but I'm looking at the PCB artwork you posted, and I am confused because it appears that the +5V and AGND nets are connected together in several places by the copper pour? Thanks-- --Adam
  15. MB6582 Control Surface troubleshooting

Thank you, I hadn't spotted that guide so will work through it now. They are activating, but seem to be selecting something to do with modulation. When I press menu a column and row of the matrix flashes and it toggles through some modulation pages. Shift also. Filter mode seems to be working now. I thought it might be diodes or switches in the matrix section not right so have checked and re flowed all those joints too.
  16. MB6582 Control Surface troubleshooting

it sounds like you've done a bit of this, but there is a button/encoder troubleshooting guide here in case you didn't find it already: http://www.midibox.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=din_module and a link to a MIOS program to find shift register problems... what are the buttons doing instead of what they should? Or just not operating?
  17. Adding CS-line to AINSER8

Ah, no. It's SMD soldered. So, traces are given.  But I double-checked the schematic and all looks well. Here is the excerpt from the PCB layout: Pin 6 of the connector comes from PE6 of the STM. The rest is the same as on the other MCP.
  18. Adding CS-line to AINSER8

swap!
  19. Sell my SEQ4V

I'd like to sell my SEQ4V because it's one size too big for me. Except for the motherboard everything was done by myself. Mainboard is a LPC1769. The extension for the buffered outputs and Midi 3/4 are made on a bread board. The lower part is made of 3mm Plexi screwed on 19" carrier rails with wooden side parts. The device, power supply and the documents what was still made are delivered. I would like to sell it for 350€ + shippingI ( Shipping within Germany 8€, within the EU 18€.)  
  20. MB6582 Control Surface troubleshooting

Almost there with this build, so close now thanks to everyone's help directly and in the many existing posts I have trawled. The next issue I have is a few of the buttons on the control surface are not doing what they should: Shift Menu Filter Mode I think some of the buttons on the side of the screen also. I went through schematics in another thread of the switch matrix and figured out it's JD8 and JD5 cables and associated areas on the main board that are associated with the switches. I've tried swapping around shift registers (I don't have spares), and also checking the solder joins around JD8 and JD5 as well as the switches themselves. No change to behaviour. The control surface to main board connections are solid. Also checked diode orientation on the CS board. All looks OK. Could the transistors have died? Any other pointers for troubleshooting this?  
  21. Adding CS-line to AINSER8

Invert?! What do you mean with that?
  22. Troubleshooting midiphy SEQ v4+

Can you post a picture of the soldering? The most likely place is on either of the two USB connectors. This is the bottom of the board with the +5V and 0V connections highlighted.
  23. Troubleshooting midiphy SEQ v4+

Okay, this is sad, but my construction efforts have run into problems at the first test point: loading the firmware onto to the MCU. Eventually I figured out that there's a short between +5V and GND on the USB PCB itself. I finally isolated it to this PCB by disconnecting the ribbon cable between the two PCBs. I've also removed the TVS diode, figuring that it might be the most likely place for a solder short. I've examined my solder joints with a magnifier and microscope(!) and have found nothing. Could I obtain either a schematic or the PCB artwork for this PCB? It would help with locating the problem if I knew which traces are +5V and which are GND. I'm assuming that +5V is on the first two conductors of the ribbon cable and GND is the last two conductors, based on the silkscreen notations near the ribbon cable connector. The next thing I'm going to have to do is start removing parts one by one, which is unfortunate since removing things like the USB connectors will not be easy. Thanks-- --Adam
  24. Adding CS-line to AINSER8

Did you invert the 2 last modules?  
  25. Adding CS-line to AINSER8

Yes. I did. I see the pulses on the CS line. 
  26. name not valid

Sorry to rescue this ancient topic but I'm also facing this exact issue from time to time, is anyone impacted by it yet? Not really sure about my SD card, I'm pretty sure it was formatted under FAT32.   Thanks all!
  27. Adding CS-line to AINSER8

ok. And physically, did you check the cs lines with the oscillo? you should see a periodic pulse.
  28. Load more activity