Building a Double SID Module

napierzaza

Hello, I have two 6851s and I am going to try and build a double SID module. I was going to build a SEQ so I have a lot of the parts already, but I realize that I'm missing a couple, pretty important parts. Namely 4 Stryoflex caps (470pf) and 2 Transistors (BC547). I can basically re-purpose a lot of my other parts to work as I already have some DOUT 74HCs, and I believe the SIDs are as wide as the PICs, so I can just cut up some 40-pin IC sockets to work etc. So anyway, considering last time I had to pay 60$ to ship my stuff from Mouser, I was wondering if anyone here had just those parts that they could mail to me in Canada? I can pay you for everything, but it's just going to be cheaper if you stuff them in an envelope for me in place of having a box shipped.

Here's a pic of the board I designed based on Wilba's wiring. I excluded the J10 connection as I am going to just straight connect with a ribbon cable like the FM controls. The pins are way too splayed out to be worth while.

EDIT: Removed one-sided .brd file as it is updated below

Picture 1_thumb.png

MBHP-DoubleSID 2SIDED SIL.brd.zip

2240_Picture_1_png79511fe46093cb840bb165

MBHP-DoubleSID 2SIDED SIL.brd.zip

I guess it's possible, but it would require several bridges, which are just as time consuming as a direct connection underneath. And the J10 would not be completely compatible and the core would have to have one trace moved into another place. If it was a double-sided board it would be very easy and very nice, but I made it for myself, and I only have access to copper-clad boards. I wish I could have a smash board but I just don't have the facilities.

The list of pins to connect are the following:

Pin 8 (SID A) ---> Pin 24 PIC

Pin 8 (SID B) ---> Pin 22 PIC

Pin 6 (SID) ---> Pin 17 PIC

Pin 12 (both 74HC) ---> Pin 23 PIC

Pin 11 (both 74HC) ---> Pin 28 PIC

Pin 14 (74HC A) ---> Pin 29 PIC

Here's an attached file of the board. I looked again at having a J10 connection, like maybe a SIL or something, but it is still really difficult. Basically you'd have to just do 6 jumpers to the connector, and would still have to modify the core.

Here's a Bird copy of the board.

Nice work napierzaza. I've see some minor room for improvements though:

* Make sure you can actually find 2200µF caps in 10.5mm diameter before etching the board - the smallest ones I've see so far are 13mm

* You can easily move away the caps from under the SIDs

* Some components (like C9 for instance) are better off rotated by 180° - that way they're not as much in the way of your traces.

;-)

I guess it's possible, but it would require several bridges, which are just as time consuming as a direct connection underneath. And the J10 would not be completely compatible and the core would have to have one trace moved into another place. If it was a double-sided board it would be very easy and very nice, but I made it for myself, and I only have access to copper-clad boards. I wish I could have a smash board but I just don't have the facilities.

The list of pins to connect are the following:

Pin 8 (SID A) ---> Pin 24 PIC

Pin 8 (SID B) ---> Pin 22 PIC

Pin 6 (SID) ---> Pin 17 PIC

Pin 12 (both 74HC) ---> Pin 23 PIC

Pin 11 (both 74HC) ---> Pin 28 PIC

Pin 14 (74HC A) ---> Pin 29 PIC

You can get double sided copper clad boards. Anybody else who is wanting to include J10 and wants to mess around could look in to adaptin the design.

G

Thanks for the suggestions, I'm implementing them now, and giving the board more breathing room because of it. The caps were under the SIDs out of convenience, but I did move them out from under just cause it might save someone some time when building.

I know there are dual sided boards, I just don't have any. I might just go ahead and work on a double layer design, but people would still have to modify the core.

EDIT: Here it is, with a SIL Connector that should easily turn into a DIL J10 connector. I wish that I could make such a board. But anyhow it has most of your improvements. Now I just wish that I could make myself a double - sided one.

Picture 2_thumb.png

2268_Picture_2_png39e0ec20a016bad4cc1af8

I've never really understood how to do the ground if it's covered in a ground plane. So I make small 16 sized connections for them all, sometimes they're cut, but still maintain continuity and connection to ground via the ground plane. So I guess before you fill it looks a little messy.

I know what you mean. Certain programs like ExpressPCB seem to just use via's as the ground connection, which is not always ideal really. Well, maybe it is, but I don't really have a great deal of experience with ground plane or double sided layouts just yet!

I don't suppose you could upload a ready to print PCB layout could you?? I'd definitely like to give your single sided board a go, and i'm at work now so I have access to a laser printer ;)

ACtually, I believe the dual-layered version has about the same amount of bridges needed if you're not making a double-layered board. However I guess it requires more drilling as the interconnections to the core would require holes (if using the SIL connector)

EDIT: removed my copies for printing see below

Picture 3_thumb.png

Picture 4_thumb.png

2314_Picture_3_png704e81a963470bf9fbcf13

2316_Picture_4_pngf031f9f7b3f1d3911ac4da

Sweet, thanks a lot for doing that! I'll be getting my print on tomorrow I think!!!

Comparing the double and single sided layouts, I can't see any advantage at all with the dual layer if you're etching yourself. There are a few bridges to make, but that's hardly the end of the world!