x0xb0x panels

Sasha

2. so did we have set final color of the panel?

No we didn`t. I think 5 or 6 panels can fit onto one sheet of Rowmark so few options can be possible. Material supliers stock changes very often. I think color should be something universal... they didn`t have black for quite some time. What color would you prefer.

3. can custom design be engraved, or it's really going to be a nightmare for engraving man and not worth the effort per one-off panel?

Yes, laser guy is willing to put more effort for few bux more if people want some logo engrawing or something.

4. can you please take a close-up picture of the engraving? like, near large text blocks a.k.a Spiders  ;D Also please find the smallest x-height on the panel. Please take picture of that area too.

You can see full size pictures on my flickr page. I`m sure you can see what you wish there.  ;)

And consequently, what is the absolute minimum, recommended engraving man?

Minimum size of text? He told me that long time ago but I forget it. I never wanted to engrave so small text. What is more important is font itself. Some can be engraved very small some not so small. Some are better quality. The TR909 font was better quality for engraving and better done than Prototype font I used for this panel.

5. Can color be added on the panel theoretically, excepting gaps?

You can fill the gaps with paint if you like.

6. i totally agree that real-life test test is neccessary with all parts and everything. thus we could see the whole and final picture, and adjust if required. MUST be tested.

I screwed it all together and it looks and feels quite strong and sturdy, only thinkg I would like to do more is test it with all panel components on PCB. 

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:P HOW is that you're so fast on reply? are you browsing the forum from your cellular?  8)

Yes, laser guy is willing to put more effort for few bux more if people want some logo engrawing or something.

yeeesss! that's awesome news. thanks Sasha, i'd be doing some personal changes then, really wanted to be able to do that inspite of my ongoing final project. Based on our previous try, my guess .AI file is perfect then.

You can see full size pictures on my flickr page. I`m sure you can see what you wish there.  ;)

shit, posting such a question is showing stupidity from my side... sure i should do that frequently.  :-[

so you're bold lucky man!  8) i like a lot this type of haircut  ;D

but no close ups there!... i mean real close-up, like this:

emineo-closeup.jpg

You can fill the gaps with paint if you like.

i meant except the gaps. Not you, by myself locally here, my question is abut front material. screening?

I screwed it all together and it looks and feels quite strong and sturdy, only thinkg I would like to do more is test it with all panel components on PCB.

that's precisely what i meant; engravings placing and size in relation to knobs, etc. especially that wave selector switch worries me a little.

and about color, i think red or black is for me. how many people are in and how many plates of material we need? i'm in for 2 panels, each of these colors respectively if possible  ;)

We should know which options available to us, before beginning a poll with votings.

also, by this moment i think nothing could stop us organizing money for transfer. i can handle that; but ironically i can't withdraw money from paypal account, therefore somebody from 'Paypal Safe Countries' list, should.

bottom,

i see real progress and this 'knowing' warms my heart.  :P

GREAT!

Vlad, I dont believe I cad do that kind of closeup pic. You can clearly see the texture there, but I can try. I need good daylight and often is too dark when I back home from work.

i meant except the gaps. Not you, by myself locally here, my question is abut front material. screening?

Sure, you can screen it. But as this material is made for laser engraving, aditional screening makes not much sense. If you wanna screen it, better get yourself blank metal panel and screen it as you wish. Doing both increase the cost without a reason.

We should know which options available to us, before beginning a poll with votings.

I agree, but we must be quick as suplier stock changes very fast and they get new shippment after few months. I expected some more feedback here so I know it makes sense to start the poll at all.

also, by this moment i think nothing could stop us organizing money for transfer. i can handle that; but ironically i can't withdraw money from paypal account, therefore somebody from 'Paypal Safe Countries' list, should.

I already received 120EUR from Prof, so I can buy some material. For other laser service It is also better to send money to mike, but I`ll check first if it`s OK with him.

i see real progress and this 'knowing' warms my heart.

I wan`t feel any satisfaction until I start soldering and hear a sound from the oscilator.  :-\

• 2 weeks later...

Some news. I received the reply from the Rowmark supplier about their stock. They don`t have the material type we need now, and they said will have it for about a month and will inform me. I`ll get acrylic for sub-panels these days. These days I`m expecting the parts from unit-sound, so I can check its the fitting against the panel I did. If somebody have any spare button cap I would need it for testing. Full set would be even better. :)

About the back panel. Back panel cannot be made out of Rowmark material as it have to take much greater stress because if the connectors. It should be made out of 1.5mm metal, so I think it is the best to order it from ladyada store. It cost less than 10EUR.

Meanwhile I been playing even more with fonts to see are there some that are cleaner to read. Do you have some proposition regarding the fonts, or you have some good commercial font and you are willing to change it on my file. After checking with magnifier tr909 and Prototype fonts i discovered tr909 is more precise than Prototype. I think it pays to get it best as possible before going to engraving. Kartoshka, are there some results on your side. I got only free fonts to play with.

I'm interested in getting a x0xb0x sometime eventually.  I'll probably get a standard kit from the ladyada site, but I like the paint jobs, particularly this one:

x0xfinalew7.th.gif

Is there some way I could get a one-off with the standard holes with this paintjob for eventual use with a standard kit?  Or maybe there's a way to use horizontal buttons on the official PCB?

The reason I changed a bit ladyada design is that buttons aren`t aligned  ??? So turning caps 90deg wouldn`t help.  could make you panel like this one with proper holes but only out of Rowmark material with sub-panel and not meal. If you like this texture material i have left I can make it for you. http://www.flickr.com/photos/fibra/sets/72157604783882497/

The reason I changed a bit ladyada design is that buttons aren`t aligned  ??? So turning caps 90deg wouldn`t help.  could make you panel like this one with proper holes but only out of Rowmark material with sub-panel and not meal. If you like this texture material i have left I can make it for you. http://www.flickr.com/photos/fibra/sets/72157604783882497/

Comparing the pics, I don't see where the alignment changes.  It just seems that the Rest, Accent, and Slide buttons were rotated.

I think I'll look into painting a metal panel so I can get the white keys look.  In particular I crave a front panel like the one Mome Rath put on serial number 122 (see http://www.ladyada.net/make/x0xb0x/gallery.html).

If you carefully check you`ll see. It is not just rotation.

So, I don`t understand you about paining metal... Do you want me to cut the metal panel and you`ll do the rest or what?

I still don't see how the buttons are shifted.  Anyhow, I'm not picky about that.  How close can you get to a panel that looks like #122 at http://www.ladyada.net/make/x0xb0x/gallery.html ?

Oh, maaan. Why is it so important? it don`t fit! Check the attachment. Blue lines are mine, reds are unaligned from original. You should sometimes just take answers for granted.

Another thing, I`m not going to copy that design, but If you do it and send me what to cut/engrave I can make it. But only on Rowmark material. Steel you can get only row lasercut without any graphics nor paint.

differences_thumb.gif

2771_differences_gifb6ef4aa50a239dff5d1c

Oh, maaan. Why is it so important? it don`t fit! Check the attachment. Blue lines are mine, reds are unaligned from original. You should sometimes just take answers for granted.

Another thing, I`m not going to copy that design, but If you do it and send me what to cut/engrave I can make it. But only on Rowmark material. Steel you can get only row lasercut without any graphics nor paint.

I'm sorry.  That was sloppy of me.  I meant that I'm not picky about whether the buttons in question are aligned one way or the other.  I now see what you mean.

• 2 weeks later...

I just received a call from Rowmark distributor. The material arrived, so I`ll arange today with my laserman to do me a favor and pay for it trough his business account as they don`t deal to end buyers. I already bought some 3mm acrylic for sub-panels, and rest I`ll buy these days. So, very soon we can have our panels done :)

But, before cutting sub-panels I would really like to verify the alignment of all components. Last critical thing I need for verification is NKK B12AB-RO switch. If some of you have this switch to send me before Prof order and send it with other mouser parts it would be great. If not we will need to wait.

Same about button cap. They should be same diameter from bottom to top but still I cannot afford to risk.

UK Farnell have the NKK B12AB (though the R0 does not match anything in the NKK PDF brochure - and it woudl only be optional  coloured caps anyway).

They are 2.23 Euro including VAT

I can out some on my next Farnell UK order if that will help - next week.

They are non-stock at Digikey, though Mouser have then at 2.88 euro including VAT. I might just get the whole batch in from Farnell at this rate, along with the tempco's.

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to inform/remind people here again...

I sent an email few days ago to all x0x builders which you have to reply so I know you are interested into panels and what quantity, so I can calculate the final price that depends out of it. Not much people replied by far, so in case you didn`t received the email please contact me. Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

I sent final email about payment last week with reed receipt but didn`t received many confirmations by far, so I guess my emails still ending in spam filters. Please notify me if you didn`t received email.

Thanks those who already sent the payment to Mike.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Sasha,

Got my replacement card now and is set up on paypal, please send the invoice ASAP to my paypal email "edliddle at hotmail dot com".

One more thing.. Is there nay chance you can delay sending this for a couple of weeks? I'm away festivallin in Germany so won't be      around and it may end up getting returned to sender.

Eddie

please send the invoice ASAP to my paypal email "edliddle at hotmail dot com

Eddie, I cannot send an invoice from paypal, as I`m not receiving the money. Mike is receiving it. Please check the email about payment and send the money to Mike`s paypall email. Thank you.

One more thing.. Is there nay chance you can delay sending this for a couple of weeks?

NP. Just let me know when you are ready.

Just to inform you... If the panels are not manufactured by the middle of next week, shipping could be delayed alot!

I kindly ask you one more time to send the payment for panels to  Mike ASAP.

Please show some respect to me, Mike who is helping alot, and all other people that payed for their panels. Thank you.